Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WhateverLolaWants

Thread: "Bill and Ted 3" is Now Officially in the Works

Default "Bill and Ted 3" is Now Officially in the Works

MOST EXCELLENT EXCLUSIVE: Alex Winter Confirms 'Bill & Ted 3' Is On The Way!

Posted 9/23/10 11:59 am ET by Josh Wigler in Interviews, News

When we spoke with Keanu Reeves at the Toronto International Film Festival last week, we learned a couple of things: one, Reeves does a killer Werner Herzog impression, and two, there's another "Bill & Ted" movie in the works!
    Lest you think that Reeves was pulling our leg, we turned to the other half of the righteous duo, Alex Winter, for further confirmation. According to the actor and director, "Bill & Ted 3" is absolutely in development.
    "We kicked around the idea over the years and had always thought if we could make something that was as kind of genuine in spirit as the originals and without falling prey to kind of retro cynicism or something that was unnecessary, it would be worth doing," Winter told MTV's Adam Rosenberg in an interview arranged, amusingly, via Twitter. "Now the cat's out of the bag, and the truth is that, yeah, we have finally hit upon an idea that we think is pretty great."

"We've been working on it for the past couple of years, honing that idea and getting it into shape," he continued. "[Screenwriters Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon] are working on it now. The bottom line is that we still all feel like we need to sit down and look at a script and see if it's everything that it can be before we set about doing anything with it."
    Winter wasn't able to divulge much about what "Bill & Ted 3" will focus on, though he emphasized that the movie won't be "cynical."
    "The essence of what we've always wanted to do is to make a 'Bill & Ted' movie," he said. "We don't want to make a cynical 'here's Bill and Ted — you guys are our kids, now YOU guys go be Bill and Ted and the franchise can live for another 25 years!' It's not that. It's a straight up, what's the funniest and most surprising take on where Bill and Ted would be right now if we stopped back in on them? That's what we're doing."

One of the biggest obstacles facing the project, according to Winter, is figuring out how to deal with the absence of the late George Carlin, who famously played the time-traveling Rufus.
    "We're working our way through it right now," said Winter. "It's really complicated. He was such a big part of the spirit of the originals, and we've been trying to be clever about making a new one that can handle the Carlin issue. It's actually stopped us in the past — why do it without Rufus? We've been delicate about moving around him."
    Thankfully, the thought of recasting Rufus has never even crossed Winter's mind.
    "That would be horrible," he said. "That's the thing about the movies — they're personality-based. It's Reeves' personality when he's doing comedy, it's my personality and it was George's personality. It doesn't really work when you're pretending that other people are those people, because there's just not that much there [otherwise]. No, we're definitely not going to recast Rufus."
    As for when "Bill & Ted 3" will arrive in theaters, it's still too early to say, though Winter certainly hopes it's sooner rather than later.
    "We would love to not be doing this when we're 60, I'll leave it at that," he laughed. "That would involve some major rewrites! In all seriousness, it's a question of when the script is done, when Reeves is free, when I'm free, and getting the whole damn thing up and running. It's a whole process. The first thing we have to do is see if we've got a script that we all agree on."

MOST EXCELLENT EXCLUSIVE: Alex Winter Confirms ‘Bill & Ted 3′ Is On The Way! » MTV Movies Blog

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

aw man, i love the bill and ted movies.
    i hope they don't fuck this up. not sure how good an idea it is...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm divided, too. I LOVE the Bill and Ted movies, but can they really bring back the sort of magic that can only exist in the 80s? We're too cynical now for something this silly to be created outside that realm.

On the other hand if they can do it and manage to pull it off, it would be awesome.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

'Bill And Ted 3' Script: Keanu Reeves Confirms It's 'Good'

Dude! Keanu Reeves confirms to The Independent that the script for "Bill and Ted 3" is finished. “Yeah, we have a script,” Reeves told the British paper. "We’re trying to put it together. It’s a good script too.” Reeves’ co-star in time-traveling misadventure, Alex Winter, tweeted the good news on Sunday: “Script done? Check. We love it? Check. Green light? Working on it!”
    No more details are available for the third go-round, but Reeves told MTV last April that Bill and Ted are still trying to save the world: "When we last got together, part of it was that Bill and Ted were supposed to have written the song that saved the world, and it hasn't happened. So they've now become kind of possessed by trying to do that. Then there's an element of time and they have to go back.”
    It's been 21 years since the last "Bill and Ted," nearly half a lifetime for the now 47-year-old Reeves, who admitted to the Independent, "I had the classic 40 meltdown. I did. It's embarrassing. It was pretty funny. But then I recovered. To me, it was like a second adolescence. Hormonally, my body was changing, my mind was changing, and so my relationship to myself and the world around me came to this assault of finiteness. It was also the end of the projection of my younger self. I came to the place where I thought, 'I don't know where I am anymore but where have I come from and what am I doing?'"
    Reeves was being interviewed about the new documentary he produced, called "Side by Side," in which illustrious group of directors, including Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Steven Soderbergh, Christopher Nolan, David Fincher and James Cameron talk about the transition to digital film. Reeves is joining their ranks: he'll direct his first film, "47 Ronin," later this year.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Sadly, I'll watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by dowcat View Post

It's been 21 years since the last "Bill and Ted," nearly half a lifetime for the now 47-year-old Reeves
    No. Impossible.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

He looks amazing, could easily pass for 35
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Excellent!!! Too bad Rufus won't be around this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post

Aaaaand it suddenly dawns on me that Rufus was George Carlin. The lightbulb only just went off in my head.

I will definitely be seeing this movie, but I truly hope they keep the late80s/early90s music.

Bill and Ted - Celebrity Pictures, Lol Celebs and Funny Actor and Actress Photos - ROFLrazzi
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    now I must go cry for a few hours
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

YES!!!! Of course Keanu is my hubbie but I love me some Alex Winter. He was so adorable in The Lost Boys
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by FashionVictim View Post
    YES!!!! Of course Keanu is my hubbie but I love me some Alex Winter. He was so adorable in The Lost Boys
    OMG, I never knew that was him. I love me some keanu, but I don't have much confidence in this movie.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Had a HUGE crush on Alex Winter. Even if it is crap, I'm totally going to watch it.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I will see it, but I will wear all black for Rufus
    shedevilang and Kat Scorp like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Thread Information