Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miss the freakshow that was The Swan? Welcome to Bridalplasty!

Default Miss the freakshow that was The Swan? Welcome to Bridalplasty!

E! orders extreme plastic surgery bridal competition

by James Hibberd | September 15, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Exclu
    : In one of the most shocking reality TV ideas yet, E! has ordered a new series that crosses a wedding competition with extreme plastic surgery.

The network is set to announce “Bridalplasty,” where brides-to-be compete in wedding-themed challenges to win extensive surgical procedures.

Each week, a group of women go head-to-head in such challenges as writing wedding vows and planning honeymoons. The winner receives the chance to choose a plastic surgery procedure from her “wish list.”

She’s given the procedure immediately, and results are shown at the start of the following week’s episode.

One by one, the women are voted out by their rivals and, according to the show’s description, face “possibly walking away with nothing and losing [their] chance to be the perfect bride.”

The last bride standing will receive a “dream wedding,” where she will reveal her new appearance to friends, family and the groom.

“Viewers will witness his emotional and possibly shocked reaction as they stand at the altar and he lifts her veil to see her for the first time following her extreme plastic surgery,” E! said.

Celebrity surgeon Terry Dubrow (Fox’s infamous “The Swan”) will lend his expertise to the procedures, and celebrity bride Shanna Moakler (ex-wife of Blink-182’s Travis Barker) will host.

Giuliana Rancic executive produces the show, as do Mark Cronin and Cris Abrego of 51 Minds, the company behind VH1’s “The Surreal Life” and “Rock of Love” franchises.

E! orders extreme plastic surgery bridal competition
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I... I... have such shame in my heart because I know I will watch this.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

What....the....fuck??????
    I was born a bitch..whats your excuse?

Silver Member

Ugh I'd watch if the show weren't wedding/bridal themed. I hate shows that have anything to do with shit like that.
    Now, a show about ridiculous plastic sugery, I'll watch that. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    Me too. I look forward to the trainwreck with gleeful anticipation.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Add me to the list of those who will join - along with millions of others. It's like a train wreck - you just can't look away. (Well if she's super fug in the beginning I might have to close my eyes, but you know what I mean.)
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Good to see the heteros upholding the sanctity of marriage
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I freaking loved The Swan! Good stuff! Hooray for more shit on TV!

I'm excited about this.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I'd love to know how many women that were in relationships BEFORE The Swan, are still in them after?? Seeing as it has been a few years now....

At least one of them had regrets as of 2008. I would love a follow up.
    Corona woman says surgery for TV show left emotional, physical scars
    05:32 PM PDT on Sunday, August 31, 2008

By JANET ZIMMERMAN
    The Press-Enterprise

Her sculpted cheekbones, movie-star smile and double-D bust line may have been gratis, but Corona resident Lorrie Arias said they didn't come without a price.
    She regrets the 17 cosmetic procedures she underwent as a contestant on "The Swan" makeover TV show in 2004. Arias said her surgical transformation caused her emotional damage as well as lasting physical scars.
    She warns those thinking about plastic surgery to reconsider and cautions the public that reality shows are far from real.
    Story continues below
    Amanda Lucidon / The Press-Enterprise
    Lorrie Arias, of Corona, who was on the reality show "The Swan," holds a family photograph of a time where she remembers being happy.

"It's not worth it. I'm totally a mess," Arias, 38, said last week in an interview in the one-bedroom apartment she shares with her teenage son. "I did get a whole bunch of free surgery out of this, and I got a whole bunch of complications, too."
    Arias applied for the second and final season of the Fox television series at the urging of a friend. She wanted to get rid of hanging skin from a 120-pound weight loss nine years earlier, and she wanted breast augmentation.
    But more important, she said, was the promise of intensive therapy for participants of the show. Arias said she has low self-esteem because of family issues when she was growing up, and she has not recovered from her husband's death from liver failure in 2002.
    Arias, who said she passed psychological screening to get on "The Swan," said the only counseling she received during her six-week makeover was four sessions from the staff therapist that were taped for the show. She was asked questions about her weight loss and her husband's death to make her cry on camera, but there was no follow-up, she said.
    Cosmetic surgery is "only a quick fix. ... When you come back to reality, you're still you," she said.
    The TV show's Los Angeles-based marriage and family therapist, Lynn Ianni, was out of the office and could not be reached for comment last week. The show's creator and executive producer, Nely Galan, and officials from the production company, Fremantle Media North America, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.
    The show, which was panned by TV critics, pitted one "ugly duckling" against another each week. They were given extreme makeovers and, at the episode's conclusion, one was selected to move on to a final pageant and compete against the other women. Arias was not chosen as the winner of her segment.
    Dr. James Wells, past president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, said the show's premise -- surgery awarded in a contest -- violates the ethics policy of the society.
    "I'm sorry for this patient. She was set up for the needs of a television show. It's about ratings and 43 minutes of unreality," said Wells, who practices in Long Beach.
    Arias said she was pushed into having more procedures than she wanted, including the narrowing of her nose.
    For the six weeks Arias was sequestered, she didn't have access to a mirror, and show officials sprayed the TV screens with aerosol deodorant to prevent reflection, she said.
    When she was revealed at the end of her makeover, Arias was shocked.
    "I had these huge eyeballs. I thought I was looking at E.T.," she said.
    A contract with the production company provided three years of coverage if something went wrong, said Arias, adding that the show's plastic surgeon redid her thigh lift a year later because it didn't heal properly, then injected fat into a sunken spot on her left hip in 2006. But a wound in the same area went unaddressed in late 2007, and should have been repaired because she was still under contract, Arias said.
    After she lost a porcelain veneer, used to improve the look of her teeth, Arias said she had to take out a $1,000 loan to get a crown because she couldn't afford a new veneer. The show's dentist did not return her telephone calls, she said.
    There are other side effects of her metamorphosis that she didn't anticipate. Arias said when she touches her eyebrow she feels it on the back of her scalp, and her belly is numb. She can no longer comfortably tip her head back, Arias said.
    In May, she began seeing a therapist twice a week. In a June assessment for Arias' application for federal disability benefits, the doctor wrote that Arias' post-traumatic stress disorder was complicated by her experiences on the show and she is unable to work.
    He also wrote that she has social anxiety, low self-esteem, extreme depression, bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder.
    Arias, who lives on Social Security survivor's benefits, rarely leaves her apartment. She spends her days in her pajamas, watching movies and playing computer games.
    "You feel like everyone is looking at you more, expecting you to fail, after you've had a makeover," she said.
    Diana Zuckerman, a psychologist and president of the National Research Center for Women & Families in Washington, D.C., said plastic surgery is not a substitute for therapy.
    Research shows that people who have cosmetic surgery generally feel better about the body part that was reworked, but not about themselves or their lives, Zuckerman said.
    But such makeover shows often bill surgery as a way to boost self-esteem, she said.
    Wells, of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, said Arias was clearly a poor candidate for the show, given her emotional state. She might have benefited from a couple of procedures, which may have uplifted her enough to get into therapy.
    It is not reasonable to squeeze so many procedures into such a short amount of time, because it doesn't give the body time to recuperate, he said.
    "You can almost predict she would have some problems," Wells said. "I think it's tragic."

Corona woman says surgery for TV show left emotional, physical scars | Inland News | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

-------------------------------------------------------
    Reality TV Plastic Surgery

By AMY ELISA KEITH, ELAINE ARADILLAS
    When They Got Nipped and Tucked on Television, It Not Only Changed Their Bodies—it Also Changed Their Lives

Beth Lay
    The Swan

Of all the work she had done on The Swan in 2004, Lay really cared only about "the free boobs." But her 36D implants never came out quite right; Lay went on to have two corrective surgeries (arranged by the show's producers) to fix issues including built-up scar tissue. Even today, Lay, 30, says one of her breasts "sits lower than the other," but she's still thrilled with her new body. Thanks to twice-daily weight-lifting workouts post-Swan, Lay's now a personal trainer in Puyallup, Wash., who competes in figure competitions. Of her TV experience, she says, "I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't gone through that."

NOW
    Kacie Searcy Bower (right) & James Bower
    Extreme Makeover

Appearing on Extreme Makeover in 2004 "was a very scary experience," recalls Kacie Bower. "You're changing your appearance; you don't know how things will turn out." Helping her through this anxiety was fellow contestant James Bower: The couple met the first day of filming, and by show's end he had proposed. But after three years of marriage and two kids, "we didn't really have much left," she says. Today Kacie, 27, is a single mother raising three children (the youngest with her boyfriend) in Corona, Calif. Meanwhile James, 29, is an insurance investigator in Orange County, Calif., who has a 20-month-old with his second wife, Lauren, and no regrets. "The experience let me know there's a whole lot out there. I just have to find it," he says. "I have three beautiful kids, and I never thought that would happen for me." And while James nixes more surgery, Kacie remains open. "I've had my kids since the show," she says, "so maybe I'll have a tummy tuck."

NOW
    Courtney Johnson-Wilson
    Dr. 90210

Even though gastric-bypass surgery had taken Johnson from 296 lbs. to 180 lbs. in 2006, it wasn't until two years later—after having her excess skin removed on TV by Dr. 90210 plastic surgeon Linda Li—that she could put on a bikini. "I'd never had a two-piece on before!" she says. Since then Johnson, 29, now 163 lbs., has chalked up a few other new experiences, like dating ("I was always the girl people said had a great personality. Beyond that, they wouldn't date me," she says) and joining a motorcycle club called True Passion. "I feel sexy and confident on a bike," she says. So much so that even though her surgeries left "scars on my arms," Johnson—who is working on a law and business degree in Norfolk, Va.—doesn't try to hide them. "My scars don't stop me from putting on a short-sleeved shirt; they don't stop me from being fashionable," she says. "I'm happy with my body. I'm happy with my life."
    Reality TV Plastic Surgery - Dr. 90210, Extreme Makeover, The Swan, Plastic Surgery : People.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    I'm in. No shame.

I remember this trainwreck...

"I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

wtf did they stuff into her cheeks, tennis balls?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I admit it, I found the Swan fascinating and I'm sure I'll watch this.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

As far as the messed up chick from the Swan, I'm sure they made her sign a 50 page contract to cover every inch of their asses so she couldn't sue them.

I don't think ps was the answer for her. She needed some mental health counseling or something.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information