Thread: Mary J. Blige to portray Jazz Legend Nina Simone

Default Mary J. Blige to portray Jazz Legend Nina Simone

R&B superstar Mary J. Blige will be taking on the role of legendary soul and jazz singer and civil rights activist Nina Simone, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Simone, who was known as the High Priestess of Soul, but also sang in a myriad of other genres, flourished in the 1960s and 1970s with a series of civil rights anthems. Some of her most acclaimed songs included “My Baby Just Cares for Me,” “To Be Young, Gifted and Black,” and her rendition of Porgy and Bess‘ “I Loves You, Porgy.” Cynthia Mort — who previously created HBO’s short-lived Tell Me You Love Me and worked on the shows Roseanne and Will & Grace — is writing the script, which will focus on Simone’s relationship with her assistant Clifton Henderson (David Oyelowo).
    But is Mary J. Blige up to the task of playing a colossal music figure who also reportedly suffered from bipolar disorder? Blige has made a few television acting appearances on The Jamie Foxx Show, Strong Medicine, and Ghost Whisperer, and she most recently starred in Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself, but this biopic is truly going to be the project that reveals whether or not Blige has some serious acting chops. (Of course, she should have no trouble handling the singing aspect of the role). PopWatchers, what do you make of this casting choice?
    Mary J. Blige to play soul singer Nina Simone | EW.com

This will be a challenge. I remember no one thought that Diana Ross could pull off playing Billie Holliday, but she did and gave a star-making performance.

Ugh, that nasty ghetto hag.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

This will not work.

Just not at all.

Nope.

Bomb in the making.

Erykah Badu could do it if she had a good and patient director to help her along. But, Mary J. Blige just is not even remotely like Nina Simone at all in any way shape or form at all.

Jesus God, Why!?

Nina Simone had perfect pitch, Mary J Blige...um, not!
    "I'm sorry, but I don't date ugly people."

This could be....interesting. Either Mary will shock everyone and do a great job or she's going to bomb royally. There won't be any middle ground.

Her voice isn't like Nina's at all. Nina's voice was rich and smooth and creamy. Mary's is a li'l rough and edgy. Mary is a li'l bit easier on the eyes than Nina was, to be sure.

This was why they wouldn't let Stephanie Mills play Dinah Washington; despite having similar voices, producers told Steph she wasn't attractive enough to be in films. They went back and forth on this for a long time. That is also why she didn't do the film version of The Wiz. Sorry to get OT, but had to get that out.

boo.
    she's not right for the part.
    i'm also getting tired of hollywood's obsession with by-the-book biopics. it's tired. it's boring. it's predictable.
    unless you do something new and interesting with the genre like todd haynes did with dylan in 'i'm not there', it's just boring.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This was why they wouldn't let Stephanie Mills play Dinah Washington; despite having similar voices, producers told Steph she wasn't attractive enough to be in films. They went back and forth on this for a long time. That is also why she didn't do the film version of The Wiz. Sorry to get OT, but had to get that out.
    Dang. I had no idea that Mills was up to play Washington at all. That would have been a great film, I bet. I do not think anyone back then could have matched the singing talent and looks of Dinah Washington, really.

Diana Ross was so old to be in The Wiz. I could never take that film seriously because of that. But, Michael Jackson did do very well, though.

I saw her in a Tyler Perry movie, she had a small part but she could use some acting lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert_wormly View Post
    Dang. I had no idea that Mills was up to play Washington at all. That would have been a great film, I bet. I do not think anyone back then could have matched the singing talent and looks of Dinah Washington, really.

Diana Ross was so old to be in The Wiz. I could never take that film seriously because of that. But, Michael Jackson did do very well, though.
    The Wiz was such a bomb that Hollywood was very reluctant to make black films for a while with all-black casts until, IIRC, A Soldier's Story. I think Richard Pryor made a couple of flicks, but he always had white co-stars.

Miss Ross ruined that movie, sorry. But it was nice to see Lena and Michael in it.

As as for Mary J. playing Nina - hey, at least they didn't ask Beyonce!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The Wiz was such a bomb that Hollywood was very reluctant to make black films for a while with all-black casts until, IIRC, A Soldier's Story.
    Which did sort of atone for the horror that was The Wiz. A Soldier's Story was a really good film.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

There are better choices. I hope she won't bee doing her own singing. Mary's got a powerful voice, but it is absolutely nothin like Nina's.

6 Cheap Acting Tricks That Fool The Critics Every Time | Cracked.com

#6. The Biopic

There is a famous Hollywood rule that we made up for this article that goes like this- if it worked for Gary Busey, there is no reason it won't work for you.
    How effective is the biopic in earning Hollywood credibility? Busey actually scored a Best Actor nomination for playing Buddy Holly in the aptly titled The Buddy Holly Story.

Yeah, this guy

This simple formula rarely fails. Pick a deceased (or soon to be deceased) musician, artist or mathematician, make sure they're the sort of person the New York media could conceivably refer to as brilliant, insert a big name actor (or Gary Busey) to play the role; watch movie critics and audiences far and wide go apeshit.

The best thing about the biopic is that Hollywood is free to embellish the back story as much as they would like. How do you know Ray Charles didn't really walk on the moon? Were you there? No, so shut up and watch the movie. Speaking of Ray Charles, Jamie Foxx took home a Best Actor trophy also for his heroic portrayal of a young Stevie Wonder playing Ray Charles.

Seriously, this fucking guy

For Example:
    Prior to 2005, Reese Witherspoon was best known for playing the ditzy lawyer in Legally Blonde or for playing the ditzy ______ in _______. Then came Walk the Line. By simply adopting a southern accent, dying her hair black and not cringing as Joaquin Phoenix spent two hours making Johnny Cash look like the victim of severe head trauma, Witherspoon walked away with her first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Other Famous Examples Include:
    Robert Downey, Jr. in Chaplin
    Bill Paxton in Apollo 13
    Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth

I thought that Reese won Best Actress.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Which did sort of atone for the horror that was The Wiz. A Soldier's Story was a really good film.
    Adolph Caesar was magnificent in this film.

Thread Information