Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fate of this season's shows - renewed, possibilities, & cancelled

fgg

Default The fate of this season's shows - renewed, possibilities, & cancelled

Is Your Favorite Show in Danger?

By Mickey O'Connor and Adam Bryant Mon May 3, 12:29 PM PDT

The new fall TV season means plenty of promising new shows — and canceling struggling old ones to make room. As the networks roll out new programs this month at their upfront presentations to advertisers, here's our list of 13 at-risk shows. Many have posted significant ratings declines. Others are expensive to produce, getting old, or just aren't performing as well as their time-slot rivals. Read about the issues each faces and then weigh in on which shows deserve to stay — or go.

Caprica (Fridays at 9/8c, Syfy)
    Issues: The heir apparent to Battlestar Galactica hasn't performed at nearly the same level, averaging just 1.1 million viewers over its first nine episodes. (The second half of its first season will air some time later this year). More bad news: Stargate Universe: SGU, its closest relative at the network in subject matter and ratings, has already been renewed for a second season.

Cold Case (Sundays at 10/9c, CBS)
    Issues: Although the show pulls in a fairly steady average of 10 million viewers each week, it consistently underperforms in the desirable 18-to-49-year-olds demo. High production costs and the fact that CBS almost canceled it last year make another renewal unlikely.

FlashForward (Thursdays at 8/7c, ABC)
    Issues: The show's intriguing concept has failed to deliver much in the way of genuine revelation, which may account for the show's plummeting ratings. Its most recent episode only attracted 5.1 million viewers. The producers' room has a revolving door on it lately, a sign that the show might not be around much longer.

Heroes (Mondays at 9/8c, NBC)
    Issues: Season 4 saw this one-time ratings powerhouse hit new lows nearly every week, averaging between 4 million and 5 million viewers an episode. The show is a moneymaker on DVD and in international markets, however, so there's buzz about a truncated fifth season to close the series out.

Human Target (Wednesdays, 8/7c, Fox)
    Issues: Male viewers haven't flocked to this graphic novel-based action series in the numbers Fox hoped for, but the show is still winning its time slot, albeit one of the week's least competitive.

Life Unexpected (Mondays at 8/7c, CW)
    Issues: Critics love the show, but viewers are more lukewarm. The CW has announced several early renewals (90210, Gossip Girl, Smallville, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries), but the list conspicuously did not include this midseason addition.

Medium (Fridays at 9/8c, CBS)
    Issues: The former NBC drama has been a nice fit in CBS' Friday lineup and consistently wins its timeslot, but after six years, Medium has become pretty expensive. It's not in as dire a position as Cold Case, however, and its survival will likely depend on the strength of CBS' development slate.

Melrose Place (Wednesdays at 9/8c, CW)
    Issues: The network ordered up a creative change in direction in the fall that included casting changes, a new showrunner and more Heather Locklear. Thus far, the ratings haven't improved, and it was also left off CW's early-renewals list. Jessica Lucas recently signed on to the NBC pilot Friends with Benefits, which certainly isn't a good sign.

Mercy (Wednesdays at 8/7c, NBC)
    Issues: Though it does well with a female demo, it's not a young female demo. Its last new episode attracted 5.5 million viewers, which wasn't enough to win its time slot. A three-week hiatus this month may have hurt its momentum.

Numb3rs (Fridays at 10/9c, CBS)
    Issues: The show's episode order was chopped drastically to make way for newcomer Miami Medical. Creatively, the show's season finale felt like a good-bye, and series star David Krumholtz has already landed a gig in Ron Howard's IRS comedy pilot at Fox.

One Tree Hill (Mondays at 8/7c, CW)
    Issues: After losing a chunk of its cast this season, the series is showing serious signs of age. However, its average audience of 2.3 million viewers is more devoted than those of other CW shows (including Melrose Place and 90210.)

Trauma (Mondays at 9/8c, NBC)
    Issues: This expensive, action-heavy drama has kind of already been canceled once. In October, NBC announced that it would not be ordering any new episodes past the original 13. When the network's late-night schedule imploded, Jay Leno's departure from prime time freed up real estate, and NBC ordered seven more episodes. With its ratings on the decline this spring after a three-month hiatus, the order was cut back to 18; the final episode aired April 26. And that's probably final.

V (Tuesdays at 10/9c, ABC)
    Issues: The show's Olympics-mandated hiatus seems to have hurt its momentum. Though critics like the show's new episodes, it's getting killed by The Good Wife in its timeslot. Lately, NBC's Parenthood is beating it as well.
    Have your favorites made the cut? See the list below and check back often for the latest renewal/cancellation news:

RENEWED

30 Rock (NBC)
    90210 (CW)
    The Amazing Race (CBS)
    American Dad (Fox)
    America's Next Top Model (CW)
    The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
    Bones (Fox)
    Brothers & Sisters (ABC)
    Castle (ABC)
    The Cleveland Show (Fox)
    Community (NBC)
    Cougar Town (ABC)
    Family Guy (Fox)
    Friday Night Lights (NBC)
    Fringe (Fox)
    Glee (Fox)
    Gossip Girl (CW)
    The Good Wife (CBS)
    How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
    The Middle (ABC)
    Modern Family (ABC)
    NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
    The Office (NBC)
    Parenthood (NBC)
    Parks and Recreation (NBC)
    The Simpsons (Fox)
    Smallville (CW)
    Supernatural (CW)
    Survivor (CBS)
    Two and a Half Men (CBS)
    The Vampire Diaries (CW)

LOOKING GOOD

Accidentally on Purpose (CBS)
    American Idol (Fox)
    The Bachelor (ABC)
    The Biggest Loser (NBC)
    Celebrity Apprentice (NBC)
    Chuck (NBC)
    Criminal Minds (CBS)
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS)
    CSI: Miami (CBS)
    CSI: NY (CBS)
    Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
    Desperate Housewives (ABC)
    Gary Unmarried (CBS)
    Ghost Whisperer (CBS)
    Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
    House (Fox)
    Human Target (Fox)
    Law & Order (NBC)
    Law & Order: SVU (NBC)
    Lie to Me (Fox)
    Medium (CBS)
    The Mentalist (CBS)
    NCIS (CBS)
    New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS)
    One Tree Hill (CW)
    Private Practice (ABC)
    Rules of Engagement (CBS)
    V (ABC)

NOT LOOKING SO GOOD

Better Off Ted (ABC)
    Cold Case (CBS)
    The Deep End (ABC)
    FlashForward (ABC)
    The Forgotten (ABC)
    Heroes (NBC)
    Life Unexpected (CW)
    Melrose Place (CW)
    Mercy (NBC)
    Miami Medical (CBS)
    Numb3rs (CBS)
    Trauma (NBC)

CANCELED/ENDING

24 (Fox)
    The Beautiful Life: TBL (CW)
    Brothers (Fox)
    Dollhouse (Fox)
    Eastwick (ABC)
    Hank (ABC)
    Lost (ABC)
    Past Life (Fox)
    Scrubs (ABC)
    Sons of Tucson (Fox)
    Three Rivers (CBS)
    'Til Death (Fox)
    Ugly Betty (ABC)

Is Your Favorite Show in Danger? - News - Yahoo! TV

I tried to watch Flash Forward but it was just too damn slow.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

I tried to watch Human Target with the boys and couldn't get into it.

The only one on this list I give a damn about is The Deep End, so I'm sure it will end up canceled.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

i'm just hoping chuck gets renewed.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love Human Target and hope it gets renewed!!! Looks like the rest of my shows are ok.

I really like Human Target too, it's just on at a time where I never get to watch it.

i'm still pissed that Ugly Betty was cancelled.

i'm not going to miss Mercy or Miami Medical, or Flash Forward. I tried, but nope.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i'm still pissed that Ugly Betty was cancelled.
    me too. especially since this last season was so great. they definitely could have kept going.
    it just pisses me off that there's so much garbage out there and it's always the good shows that get the axe.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Please everyone, watch Human Target! It is just great-every episode like a mini-adventure movie. Great cast & fast paced. Ok-handsome lead guy,too...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

glad to see Survivor is still hanging in there.. I still like it
    Friday Night Lights - is up for one more season and thats it. Most of the cast is gone now except for Coach and his wife and the supporting cast hasn't caught on.

LOOKING GOOD
    American Idol (Fox) don't care
    The Bachelor (ABC) why????????
    Dancing with the Stars (ABC) draws in huge audiences so why not?

V (ABC) saw it once and it sucked

NOT LOOKING SO GOOD

Heroes (NBC) bye bye Milo and Hayden

CANCELED/ENDING

24 (Fox) oh my gosh my husband is crushed
    Scrubs (ABC) finally

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

No don't cancel Dollhouse!! And Heroes is my favorite show!!!

Oh well, at least I have Supernatural.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Hasn't Dollhouse been cancelled already?

I haven't seen Caprica but I don't think it can be worse than Stargate Universe and that crapfest got a second (and hopefully final) season.

Yeah, Dollhouse was canceled months ago. I guess they were just airing the rest of the episodes that had been filmed already.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm still holding out hope that V will get better and hoping that it will get renewed. Something needs to fill the gaping hole that Lost will leave.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

V sucks. It has none of the awesomeness of the original. It needs more red uniforms, faces ripping off, and laserguns.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information