Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louis Theroux – America’s Medicated Kids

Default Louis Theroux – America’s Medicated Kids

The Anglo-American film-maker returns to our screens with another thought provoking documentary

Louis Theroux: America’s Medicated Kids
    BBC Two, Sunday April 18th
    Rating:

What do you do with a problem like … a child diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder, Asperger’s and ADHD? Well, the BBC could have made a misguided Andrew Lloyd Webber talent show, but thankfully the Corporation left this one to Louis Theroux.
    The film follows the daily lives of several American families, all of which have something in common - one or more of their children has a ‘mental disorder’ - oh, and they have filled their child with medication to try and solve the problem.
    Hugh Kelly is the central subject – a ten year old boy with more labels than a deeply reduced punnet of strawberries in Sainsbury’s. There can be no denying that the boy is troubled, his manner is that of an Edwardian gentleman (who likes playing video games) and he has a penchant for attaching tissues to the windowsill with sticky tape.
    At the end of their tether, his parents took him to a doctor, and now Hugh is on every drug going. Now, I’m not saying the parents are ‘pill happy’ but it’s worth noting that both of them, and the family dog are also on regular medication for anxiety issues.
    Poor Hugh has been told he’s ‘mental’ for so long and is consuming such a cocktail drugs, it is impossible to know where the young man with problems ends and the ‘pharmacist’s hangover’ begins?
    Anti-depressants and anti-psychotics are tested on adults – but most of them have never been fully (if at all) tested on kids … so is ten years old too young to start? No …

Meet, Jack, he’s got a lot of anxiety. If he loses a game he gets angry … oh, and he’s six. SIX! A six year old boy who doesn’t like losing, oh no, call the men in white coats. Oddly, that’s what Jack’s parents did, and then they stuffed him full of antidepressants. The sweet young lad now attends a special OCD help centre where he is forced to constantly monitor his anxiety … did I say he’s six.
    Diagnosed with ADHD, Kaylee is a young teenage girl who agrees to come off her medication to act as a control subject for Louis. She seems pretty well – apart from everyone in her house (including her brother – an ADHD sufferer himself) constantly banging on about ‘mental illness.’ It’s no wonder one of her best friends is (I’m not joking) a prize winning pygmy goat called Bella. At one point Kaylee gets a bit tense and ends up taking her medication – she feels instantly better – , begging the question, would a placebo have done? Do these kids really need the drugs?
    After departing from his staple of Weird Weekends and When Louis Met… Theroux has taken a little time to regain his voice as the more mature Louis mark two, but in this programme we see a return to form.
    There are no Nazis, survivalists or Anne Widecombe … just a balanced, beautifully constructed and well paced documentary. Theroux uses his effortless charm to engage with the subjects in a way that no other interviewer can – opening their hearts and minds to deliver the viewer a smorgasbord of fascinating, poignant and deeply important questions which will continue to stay in their consciousness long after the show has ended.

Louis Theroux: America’s Medicated Kids is on BBC 2 on Sunday April 18th

Preview: Louis Theroux – America’s Medicated Kids | Beehive City

i louis theroux. *swoons*
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^I was about to say the same thing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The fact that the BBC made this sort of doesn't sit well. Wish we had made it instead. It's one thing to sort out your own secrets it's another when it's done by someone else.

What do you expect from a generation of children coming from baby boomers who believe the answer to lifes problems is drugs. I know this because I am a baby boomer, difference is I lean to far the other way - I feel there is always a side effect and what is the side effect and I question how bad it's going to be. I'm not even sure I trust my Flintstone vitamins.

I do know they no longer give teens Paxil because it can cause "bad thoughts" but it did help both my nieces (one was depressed, the other cut herself)

I'm going to get into trouble but I don't believe in AADD or what ever it's called.

uh, so you're saying only people from the same country as the subject matter can make documentaries about it? well that's taking a narrow view of things, not to mention it demonstrates ignorance of journalism - some of the best articles and documentaries out there were made by people who were not from the same country as the people they were using in their exposés.

and ADHD and ADD exist. maybe you should know what it's called before declaring it non-existent. and yes, it's way over-diagnosed but that's not to say it doesn't exist. i was a nanny all throughout university and one of the kids i took care of had ADHD. he was a preemie - born at a little over 6 months, it's a miracle he lived and didn't have major health issues and brain damage. except for the ADHD and strabismus in one of his eyes that required several surgeries. as for his ADHD, his parents were adamant about not medicating, and finally only did so as a last resort and based on the recommendations of several therapists. but used minimal dosage and only early in the morning during the week, so it would help in school. on weekends he didn't take anything. and they view meds as a short-term solution - the kid had hours of therapy a week to help him learn to focus and concentrate so that he could be weaned off the meds.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    The fact that the BBC made this sort of doesn't sit well. Wish we had made it instead. It's one thing to sort out your own secrets it's another when it's done by someone else.

What do you expect from a generation of children coming from baby boomers who believe the answer to lifes problems is drugs. I know this because I am a baby boomer, difference is I lean to far the other way - I feel there is always a side effect and what is the side effect and I question how bad it's going to be. I'm not even sure I trust my Flintstone vitamins.

I do know they no longer give teens Paxil because it can cause "bad thoughts" but it did help both my nieces (one was depressed, the other cut herself)

I'm going to get into trouble but I don't believe in AADD or what ever it's called.
    As someone with ADHD it's real.

Oh and Louis Theroux is the sex.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

As someone who walks into a room and then forgets why he's there, i can tell you it's oooh plastic bag..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Louis Theroux is so hot.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

yes, he is. i keep coming back to this thread just to look at his picture. *drools*
    does he have a thread in the hot men section? if he doesn't, someone needs to remedy that situation...

Oh yeah, the nerd glasses are a panty-dropper for me but he's easy on the eyes to begin with. I'd never heard of him before but...hello!

Venus delivers. Hot Guy thread: Louis.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Paul Theroux isn't too bad either. He was very handsome when he was young.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Paul Theroux knows how to rock a pair of specs too.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    uh, so you're saying only people from the same country as the subject matter can make documentaries about it? well that's taking a narrow view of things, not to mention it demonstrates ignorance of journalism - some of the best articles and documentaries out there were made by people who were not from the same country as the people they were using in their exposés.

and ADHD and ADD exist. maybe you should know what it's called before declaring it non-existent. and yes, it's way over-diagnosed but that's not to say it doesn't exist. i was a nanny all throughout university and one of the kids i took care of had ADHD. he was a preemie - born at a little over 6 months, it's a miracle he lived and didn't have major health issues and brain damage. except for the ADHD and strabismus in one of his eyes that required several surgeries. as for his ADHD, his parents were adamant about not medicating, and finally only did so as a last resort and based on the recommendations of several therapists. but used minimal dosage and only early in the morning during the week, so it would help in school. on weekends he didn't take anything. and they view meds as a short-term solution - the kid had hours of therapy a week to help him learn to focus and concentrate so that he could be weaned off the meds.
    is that what you got from my post? I'm saying I wish we had said it about ourselves. Actually that is what I said. I have no problems with the BBC yet I voiced the fact that it is nicer when you clean your own house instead of having it done for you. I didn't say others couldn't, I said it would be nice if we did.

As for AADD. That ones on me, I'm sure there are people who have AADD, I have panic disorder just because 30 years ago people didn't know what it wasn't didn't mean it was real. I still feel AADD is the throw down diagnosis for kids who don't want to behave.

Silver Member

I agree with you GAPeach about the over-diagnosis of ADD. When I was in school in the 1980s there was one kid in our school of 300 taking meds for ADD. One! Now in that same school you'd be lucky to find a handful that aren't being medicated for some form of ADD or related issue.

My sister was harassed by the school to medicate my nephew, it took two different doctors signing notes stating he did NOT have ADD for them to finally back down. He's just a typical boy who'd rather be on the move than sitting still. But apparently fidgeting must now be eradicated with medication.

Medication is so often the first and only choice when there are far more effective options if one would bother to put in the time & effort. What will happen to these kids in adulthood when they build up a resistance to the drug and have no coping skills?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information