Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Academy Award producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic are assholes

Default Academy Award producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic are assholes

It's a rant-a-festo here. Sorry. I just wanted to write that title in case somebody googles their names.

Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic are assholes. I watched most of the Oscar luncheon videos (oscar.org), in addition to what looked like the the most boring day these Oscar nominees have had to date, they were treated to "the new Academy Award rules" when it comes to speech making.

They also cut the nominated songs from being performed. I never cared about the songs, but now I do on principle.

If it interests you, you can watch those idiots explain to the Oscar nominees exactly how they are supposed to give their speeches this year. Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic spoke to them as if they were children. I was embarrassed for the actors, directors etc. "You're speech on stage WILL be about how incredible it is to win THIS award".... they must have said that six times. The other speech will be off stage and recorded.

We all know the speeches are long and boring, but listening to them was like we've got all the power kiddies.

All of the OSCAR executives and tv people clearly had their moment where they could control the zillion dollar actors and treat them like five year olds. Even when they were getting into position for the Oscar photo, they were told to "fill up the back row people, that's right, keep moving till you fill all the spaces"!

The big treat for the winners this year is that they don't have to wait for their statue name plate. There will be little statue elves working in an area, so a winner can bring their statue over and they'll screw on the plate.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Cut … all change at Oscars as winners are given just 45 seconds to say thanks

Bad news for moms, dads, directors, producers, agents, friends, lovers, deceased grandparents, dialogue coaches, yoga teachers, therapists, dieticians, inspirational teachers and much-missed pets.

The organisers of this year's Academy Awards have called time on that appallingly fascinating Oscar-night staple, the everlasting and tearful acceptance speech in which several telephone directories of names are thanked as an actor grapples with the twin shock of industry recognition and performing without a script.

Winners at next month's ceremony will instead be instructed to give two speeches: a pithy onstage one explaining the personal significance of their Oscar triumph, and a backstage one – delivered to a "thank you cam" – in which they can express their gratitude to anyone and everyone as unrestrainedly as they wish.

The backstage video will then be posted on the web for winners to share with their fans, peers and loved ones through email or Facebook.

The idea, said Oscars co-producer Bill Mechanic, was quite simple – the elimination of what he termed "the single most hated thing on the show".

News of the initiative was broken at the annual Oscar nominees lunch in Beverly Hills yesterday.

Guests at the event – including George Clooney, Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges – were given tips on how best to use a 45-second acceptance speech and instructed to "share your passion on what the Oscar means to you", rather than embark on a marathon of thank-yous.

To hammer their point home, the ceremony's producers resorted to aversion therapy by playing a video of past winners' thoughts from the podium.

The tape included the speech that Renιe Zellweger unleashed after lifting the best supporting actress Oscar in 2004 for her role as a tough farm girl in Anthony Minghella's Cold Mountain.

She plucked a sheet of notes from her clutch bag before taking to the stage and memorably paying tribute to, among others: the academy; her fellow nominees; Charles Frazier for writing the novel on which the film was based; the film's producers, cast and crew; director Minghella for his "masterpiece"; her friends at Miramax; her fellow actors Vincent D'Onofrio and Tom Cruise for, respectively, "teaching me how to work" and demonstrating that "kindness and success are not mutually exclusive"; and her glorious family, especially "my immigrant mom and dad", her brother and his new wife.

The two-speech directive will not be the only break with tradition this year. Impatient winners keen to display their award prominently – or put it to more modest use as a doorstop or bathroom ornament – will be able to take their fully engraved statuette home after the ceremony.

Until now, the victorious parties have had to wait weeks for the academy to inscribe their names on the gold-plated trophies – they are handed out without nameplates as the winners' identities are kept a closely-guarded secret.

This year, winners will be able to get their nameplates affixed to their Oscars at the gala governors ball straight after the ceremony. RS Owens, the company which makes the statuettes, will produce and engrave 197 nameplates – one for each nominee in every category.

The engraving will include the nominee's name, category, film title and year.

"An Oscar statuette just isn't complete until a nameplate is attached," said Tom Sherak, the president of the academy.
    "The governors ball is the perfect place for Oscar winners to add that final touch as they celebrate their accomplishment and the year's movies."

Once the winners have been announced, the unlucky runners-up will suffer the additional indignity of having their nameplates recycled.

Cut … all change at Oscars as winners are given just 45 seconds to say thanks | Film | guardian.co.uk

The Renee Z speech went on and on and on and on...I'm all for shorter speeches.

I could make my post longer.

I guarantee you some first-time winner is going to get cut off by the "wrap-it-up" music and a seasoned veteran is going to invite them up to finish.

Now that was clever, Penny. Very smart girl.

ridiculous. sure, the speeches are too long sometimes but i'm all for letting people say what they want. the best part of the ceremony is always when someone says or does something inappropriate, or makes an awesome political rant/speech (michael moore).
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

. I just don't understand why they're cutting out the songs AND putting a limit on the speeches.. are they trying to save time.. for what? That's extra time for ad slots the network could sell to companies.

I guess we shall see. Does seem rather mico managed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

So not only do they treat actors like children but they chose to single out the one girl in Hollywood who doesn't act live a complete diva?? Nice.

adam shankman should get the same treatment when he's on So You Think You Can Dance. He never shuts the fuck up.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I thought the speeches were always limited, which is why you had James Coburn and others shouting 'hold on, hold on' etc. when they wanted to yammer on endlessly.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Yes but Julia Roberts got a half an hour.

It would be great if all the nominees could get together and agree, if called up, to just say "Winning this award is amazing" and then quickly exit the stage. Speech after speech made short and identical. That'd show them!
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

They'll never do that. Most of them have far too large egos to risk pissing off the academy and never getting another one of those awards again.

I know. I just think it would be hilarious.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information