Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" on TLC

Default "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" on TLC

About the Show : I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant : TLC

Has anyone seen this show? They also show it on Discovery Channel. It's insane how these women have no idea they are pregnant until they end up at the hospital in labor! Some of the women, though, I think are just clueless, and did have signs of pregnancy that they just ignored or did not recognize. Others legitimately have no signs or reason to believe they are pregnant.

I'm sorry, I just think some of these chicks don't want to admit they are preggers or are afraid of what the baby daddy/fiancee/husband/parents will think if they find out so they try to hide it. Again, just my opinion.

What percentage have babies that do not kick or move in the womb? I mean at 9 months you feel like you are carrying the weight of three bowling balls around and the kid kicks, rolls and pushes inside of you. How can you not feel that?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Elite Member

I had a friend in college who was very, very fat. She swears that she had her period throughout the pregnancy. She went to the hospital thinking it was apendicitis...surprise! She said she thought the baby moving was gas...and she was eating a ton. Personally, I find it difficult to mistake the two. She went on to marry the guy and have two more kids. They live a very outdoorsy/hippy/grateful dead life in Maine.

The baby not moving doesn't surprise me because my sister's baby barely moved (although, my sister knew she was pregnant). My sister was really disappointed because she wanted to experience that.

I watched this show last night and think that some of them just pretend to not know they're pregnant. The woman last night said the night she went into labour, she thought she just had bad constipation. She went on to say that she tried to go, nothing happened, then had a bath, then tried to go again and still nothing. She then said she laid a towel on the bed - she said, "I didn't want to accidentally poop on the bed" and laid down to rest. Everyone knows that you don't accidentally shit yourself if you're CONSTIPATED!

A*O

Denial is a very powerful thing. And there are some women who don't really have a clue how they got knocked up in the first place, let alone what the symptoms of pregnancy are.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't understand how you COULDN'T know you're pregnant.

^^The epsiode I saw last night, the woman had been told she had PCOS, and would most likely not become pregnant. Since she very rarely had periods, it didn't strike her as odd to miss any. She noticed cravings for breakfast foods, frequent urination, and eventually, her breasts started leaking milk. At that point, she made a doctors appt.; since she had basically been told "You can't get pregnant", she didn't consider it a possibility. She ended up going into labor before she could see her doctor.

My family friend just retired as a nurse, she worked in the maternity ward for 30 years.

She said they had tons of young women come in, saying they didn't know they were pregnant and in labor. They would come in saying they had horrible stomach pains. A lot of the time they were teens. She said denial is powerful and how it was shocking that these girls convinced themselves they weren't pregnant.

When they would ask them questions about missing their period for 9 months, what did they think was moving in their belly for months, etc, they would make up answers that just weren't realistic.

I was suprised to know they had this happen often. I've been pregnant, I can see how SOME women might not know, but most do and are in denial.

fgg

i agree that it is full on denial unless it is the case where they were specifically told it couldn't ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    I watched this show last night and think that some of them just pretend to not know they're pregnant. The woman last night said the night she went into labour, she thought she just had bad constipation. She went on to say that she tried to go, nothing happened, then had a bath, then tried to go again and still nothing. She then said she laid a towel on the bed - she said, "I didn't want to accidentally poop on the bed" and laid down to rest. Everyone knows that you don't accidentally shit yourself if you're CONSTIPATED!
    i saw that one too! she said she laid a towel on the bed in case she pooped. um, ok - that makes sense.

Gold Member

I think this show traumatized my poor sister, lol. I don't know how a woman couldn't put it together in her head that "hey, something's going on" but I also just found out that my friend (who was a surprise twin) was conceived AFTER her mother had had a tubal. Obviously things happen, lol.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

The receptionist at my husbands job before his current position was kind of one of these. She was pretty skinny, but a muscular build. Turns out she was a gymnist for years and had very irregular periods because in her tweens she had tried to train for the olympics (didn't make it, but did lots of national competitions)

She had a real sweet tooth and always munched candy at work...thought when she started to gain weight it was her metabolism catching up with her. Suddenly at 7 months her belly popped out...she went from getting a little tummy to PREGNANT looking, and that was when she finally clued in and took a test. It was kinda sad, too, because she had no idea and had been going out drinking on the weekend with mates and smoked regularly (Quit everything when she found out she was 7 months knocked up) She had thought her stomach discomfort was from drinking, if that gives you an idea

Her water broke 6 weeks early only a few weeks after she found out she was preggo and the baby spent the first three months of her life in NICU, but thankfully no signs of major breathing trouble or FAS. When hubby left the company the little girl was 2 and doing just fine. I hope she didn't have learning delays that showed up later.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

the mind is a powerful thing. i think on some deep, subconscious level these women suspect what's going but don't accept it, and their body follows suit: a lot of them don't show until very very late, or hardly at all and not enough that they can't write it off as weight gain, some continue having periods, their babies hardly move, etc...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

She had thought her stomach discomfort was from drinking, if that gives you an idea
    Wow you'd think she would have had those symptoms checked out. I'm still of the camp of "how can you not know!!!". I felt so different being pregnant that if I hadn't known I was pregnant, I would have though something was wrong enough to see a doctor.

I haven't seen the show, but a friend of mine saw one episode where a woman doesn't know she's giving birth and they have to pull the baby out of her pant's leg.

I really have to record this show.

I watched one episode and thought it was one of the dumbest things I ever saw. But youre right, the mind is a powerful thing and I dont doubt that they are in denial.

This show haunts my dreams. I am horrified of this ever happening to me. I watched a marathon of it one night awhile ago and I could barely sleep that night!
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information