Thread: Another soap bites the dust: As The World Turns is cancelled

Default Another soap bites the dust: As The World Turns is cancelled

CBS Axes 'As the World Turns' After 54 Years
    Tuesday – December 08, 2009 – 12:46pm

The soap opera world hasn't stopped turning -- yet.

After 54 years on the air, CBS' As the World Turns will go dark in September, EW.com reports.

Following Guiding Light, it's the second soap opera that CBS has cancelled in the past three months.

After As the World Turns' finale, a mere six shows in the daytime-drama genre will be left on the networks.

"We are disappointed and saddened by the news that the show is not being renewed," executive producer Chris Goutman said in a statement. "It will certainly be a loss for all of us, and for the show’s loyal audience."

News – CBS Axes 'As the World Turns' After 54 Years – Movies, TV & Music – UsMagazine.com

if they all go, what are old people going to watch?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Jeez what is CBS gonna have on during the day? Reality shows or maybe they can get Leno.

Default Julianne Moore makes an appearance on the show that started her career

Julianne Moore returns to TV soap which started her career... 25 years and four Oscar nominations later
    By Daily Mail Reporter

As a fledgling actress Julianne Moore jumped at the chance to star in daytime TV soap As The World Turns.

Twenty-five years on and she is a four-times Oscar-nominated actress, with her choice of Hollywood roles.

But Julianne turned back time as she returned to the soap which was her big break yesterday, for a brief walk-on part.

Welcome back: Hollywood star Julianne Moore returns to As the World Turns, which she starred in from 1985 to 1988

The 49-year-old starred in the CBS soap from 1985 to 1988, winning a Daytime Emmy in 1988.

Yesterday saw her reprise her dual roles of Frannie Hughes and her half-sister Sabrina, who arrived to help celebrate the wedding anniversary of her on-screen father and stepmother.

After leaving the soap Julianne played supporting roles in films such as Benny and Joon and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.

But it was nine years before her big-screen breakthrough in Boogie Nights, which saw her nominated for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

Cameo role: Julianne's dual characters Frannie Hughes and her half-sister Sabrina returned to celebrate a wedding anniversary

She's moved on: Since leaving the soap the actress has gone on to win four Oscar nominations

She won further nominations for 1999's The End Of The Affair and Far From Heaven and The Hours in 2002.

Recently Julianne said she had no regrets about the different roles she had played.

'When you're young and starting out, you can't be selective about the jobs you choose,' she said.

'You have to work and earn a living. Besides, every job is an education.

'You learn something from every one.'

Julianne, star of A Single Man, continues to work in Hollywood, although she limits her roles to spend time with children Caleb, 12, and Liv, eight.

Critical favourite: Julianne won one of four nominations for The Hours

Read more: Julianne Moore returns to TV soap | Mail Online

I so won't lie.......I have loved this show, since before I was in Kindergarten. Haven't been a super faithful viewer during my college/working days, but since staying home w/my kids I have found it again (and was able to keep up surprisingly lol!).

I am so incredibly bummed its been cancelled. But, life goes on.

Will be watching until the very end. RIP ATWT

Do y'all feel that rolling, rocking motion? That's my mother, turning somersaults in her grave. I am seriously sitting here LITERALLY thanking all the gods she is already dead because this would have killed her.

It bums me out...I used to watch this as a kid and on maternity leave with my own kids.

RIP, ATWT. LOVE YOU FOREVER. (even if I never got to see you)

Thread Information