Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMC theaters ban outside snacks

Post AMC theaters ban outside snacks

Smart Spending- Latest Posts - MSN Money

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL51XARW9Fw[/YOUTUBE]

One of our more popular posts was about a question asked by Frugal Dad: Is sneaking candy into the movie theater frugal or cheap?

That question comes to mind again now that theater giant AMC Entertainment Inc. has banned outside food and drinks at all of its 304 theater complexes after testing the idea at several locations. If you want to eat or drink during the film, you’ve got to buy your grub at the overpriced concession stand. Regal Entertainment, the nation’s largest theater chain, also bans outside food.

How does that sit with you? Will it affect your movie-going experience? A poll of readers at KansasCity.com showed that 79% “hate” the new policy.

People who commented in a Kansas City Star story about the new ban provided some possible options:

Accept the policy.
    Going to the movies is fun, and relatively inexpensive if you pick the matinee.

If you must have popcorn, kill the craving by eating it at home before you go, says Charlie at Pay Less for Food. Plus, your heart will be happier, Charlie observed.

According to a new study by Center for Science in the Public Interest, consuming a medium popcorn and medium soda sold at Regal cinemas is like eating three Quarter Pounders topped with 12 pats of butter. Both Regal and AMC, which is based in KC, cook their popcorn in coconut oil. Cinemark uses canola oil, which is much better for you.

Sneak food in.
    “We’re going to have to start bringing bigger purses,” one movie-goer said. AMC hasn’t said what it will do when it catches violators (although making them eat the theater popcorn would seem like punishment if you value heart health).

If you decide to break the rule, The Pitch offers some suggestions:
    Do not sneak in anything that could leak (open containers), makes your pockets or purse suspiciously lumpy (20-ounce sodas don't fit inside of anything), has a strong odor (tuna fish), makes excessive noise (crinkly bag, aluminum wrapper, potato chips), is patently obvious (a sack from Burger King), or could leave you sitting with a lap full of cheese and hot sauce (Taco Bell).

Buck it up and buy the theater food.
    AMC said it’s going to offer greater variety. Some of its theaters have French toast and Thai coconut chicken tenders on the menu.

AMC won’t explain why it changed the policy, but it’s suspected that the chain is trying to recover from falling movie attendance and fewer sales at the snack bar. Theaters make much of their profit from selling candy, popcorn, pop, etc.

Kansas City Business Journal says, “On Nov. 12, AMC reported that decreased attendance had caused it to dip into the red in the second quarter on 5% lower revenue compared with the same period last year.”

We recommend that you let your conscience be your guide.

“You are not really paying for the movie when you buy a ticket. A certain percentage goes to the studio, and then we have to pay for the double-high ceilings, the digital equipment,” Screenland theaters owner Butch Rigby told The Star. “Yes, it is more expensive to buy a candy bar in a movie theater, but you are paying for the experience. We do most of our profits, if not all, on concessions. You wouldn’t take an entree into a restaurant.”

They've been banning outside food/drinks for years. It may not have been an official policy, but every theater I've been to never let anyone inside who had anything to eat or drink with them. But that still doesn't stop me from sneaking a soda into the theater whenever I go.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    They've been banning outside food/drinks for years. It may not have been an official policy, but every theater I've been to never let anyone inside who had anything to eat or drink with them. But that still doesn't stop me from sneaking a soda into the theater whenever I go.
    Yes-this in not new.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

This is a new thing? I always bring shit in and nobody has ever said a damn thing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

4.25 for a bottle of water, I'm taking in my own. I have a huge purse, I sneak in what I want to eat, and they can't go through my purse.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Its always been banned here and I've outsmarted them, and I will continue to do so. I don't even want the crap they sell.

I'm not as dumb as my friend though, he's incredibly subtle, sneaking in chinese take-out that the entire cinema can smell.

^^^
    lol that reminds me of the time my friend and i snuck in some delicious dumplings she's just made. we put them in a tupperware with the dipping sauce in another little container.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I remember sneaking vodka into "The Core" and laughing my ass off when the birds in the movie went crazy and attacked people.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Outside snacks/drinks have been banned for years. I remember sneaking snacks into the theater when I was a little kid, and we are talking damn near 20 years ago.

I always sneak candy in and just order an ice water. I am not paying $4 for water or $5 for soda. Damn rip off.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post

I'm not as dumb as my friend though, he's incredibly subtle, sneaking in chinese take-out that the entire cinema can smell.
    Haha my cousins and I went to see some movie and they decided to sneak in beer cans. Every single time they cracked one open the whole audience could hear... I was like at least wait til there's a boom or some thunder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I am a tightarse, I refuse to pay crazy amounts for a coke. I sneak food in all the time.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Hit By Ban Bus!

What are they going to do, arrest me for eating? *crosses legs and flashes the room*

I always bring candy and drinks into the theatre. i even come in with a backpack, and they dont say shit to me.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Its funny, where I used to go there was a dollar store across the street from the movie theatre. Right before big movies, such as XMen The Last Stand, the place was full of people buying candy. And why not? Same candy there as in the movies, just about $4 cheaper. And now where I go theres a drug store across the street. Not as cheap but still a bargain and yes, it is also crowded before movies.

Anybody see the first ep of Season 2 of 'The Boondocks' when Grandpa snuck the kids into the movies to bootleg 'Soul Plane 2'? Funny stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information