Thread: Jennifer Hudson to play Winnie Mandela in biopic

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Jennifer Hudson to play Winnie Mandela in biopic

Jennifer Hudson is set to star in “Winnie,” a drama that casts her as the former wife of South Africa’s first black president, Nelson Mandela.

Hudson will play Winnie Mandela in a film that begins production May 30 in the South African locations of Johannesburg, Capt Town, Transkei and Robben Island, where the future president spent 18 of his 27 years in prison.

“Winnie” will be directed by Darrell J. Roodt, the veteran South African filmmaker whose 2006 film “Yesterday” was Africa’s Best Foreign Film nominee, and who also directed “Cry, The Beloved Country,” and “Sarafina!”

Andre Pieterse, Roodt and Paul L. Johnson wrote a script based on the Anne Marie du Preez Bezdrob biography “Winnie Mandela:A Life.” Picture is being made with South African and Canadian money, with Pieterse producing with Michael Mosca of Canada’s Equinoxe Films.

While Nelson Mandela — who’ll be played by Morgan Freeman in the Clint Eastwood-directed “Invictus” — is a universally sympathetic figure for his struggle against apartheid, his former wife is a far more complicated figure. She has been depicted as the mother and wife who was a steadfast supporter of her activist husband and who was jailed herself for campaigning for his release and fighting against apartheid. Her image was subsequently tarnished by association with a bodyguard who murdered a 14-year old alleged informer, and she was later convicted of fraud.

The filmmakers will tell the whole story, good and bad.

“I was compelled and moved when I read the script,” Hudson said. “Winnie Mandela is a complex and extraordinary woman and I’m honored to be the actress asked to portray her. This is a powerful part of history that should be told.”

Hudson, who is expected to sing the film’s theme song, won the Oscar for her screen debut in “Dreamgirls’ and followed with “The Secret Life of Bees” and “Sex in the City.”

Jennifer Hudson to star in 'Winnie' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

God forbid they cast a SOUTH AFRICAN actress.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

i hate winnie mandela. and i'm not a fan of hudson's either. i will be skipping this film.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    God forbid they cast a SOUTH AFRICAN actress.
    A. When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be Winnie the Pooh...
    B. The bright side for me is that at least Beonstage didn't get it...
    C. In approximately 32 seconds, there will be a statement released from Beonstage's camp stating that she didn't get the part because she wasn't fat enough, is too busy .... etc.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'mma gonna let you finish Mel but Beyonce would be the best Winnie Mandela evah.

i'd rather see Winnie the Pooh
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Jennifer as Winnie might work. Might. But Jill Scott would probably be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    A. When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be Winnie the Pooh...
    B. The bright side for me is that at least Beonstage didn't get it...
    C. In approximately 32 seconds, there will be a statement released from Beonstage's camp stating that she didn't get the part because she wasn't fat enough, is too busy .... etc.

If she get's the right dialect coach, maybe... And hell no to Beyonce!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^^ She better not ask Leo DiCaprio for help in that department, his Suffafrican accent sucked in Blood Diamond.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

S.African actors 'want Hudson out of Mandela film' - Yahoo! News

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) – South African actors want to stop Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson from playing Winnie Madikizela-Mandela in a new film on the ex-wife of the nation's first black president, reports said Monday.
    The Creative Workers Union of South Africa said using foreign actors to tell the country's stories undermined efforts to develop the national film industry.
    "It can't happen that we want to develop our own Hollywood and yet bring in imports," the union's president Mabutho Sithole said in The Citizen newspaper.
    "This decision must be reversed, it must be stopped now," union secretary general Oupa Lebogo said in The Times. "If the matter doesn't come up for discussion, we will push for a moratorium to be placed on the film."
    Hudson, who scooped a best supporting actress Oscar in 2007 for the musical "Dreamgirls", landed the role of Madikizela-Mandela last month.
    The film will be directed by South African film-maker Darrell J. Roodt, whose films include "Cry, The Beloved Country" and "Sarafina."
    The criticism comes just days before the opening of the Clint Eastwood film "Invictus", a drama about Nelson Mandela and South Africa's 1995 rugby World Cup victory which united the nation.
    Morgan Freeman plays the president and Matt Damon is the rugby team captain.
    Madikizela-Mandela campaigned tirelessly for her husband's release during his 27-year imprisonment in the apartheid era.
    However, her image was tarnished by a series of scandals including her links to the kidnap and murder of a young activist and a 2003 conviction for fraud.
    She separated from Nelson Mandela in 1992, two years after his release.

it comes down to money. i can't stand hudson but if she's in it, more people will go see this movie than if it's some unknown-outside-south africa actress playing the lead. sucks. but that's the way it is. unless the director wants to make a small movie that will only reach a small audience.
    otherwise, they can compromise and put hudson in the lead with some well-known south african actors as co-stars.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information