Thread: Charles Gibson leaving ABC News, reportedly upset Diane Sawyer to replace him

Default Charles Gibson leaving ABC News, reportedly upset Diane Sawyer to replace him

Charlie Gibson "Livid" Over Choice Of Diane Sawyer As Replacement: Report
    The Daily Beast's Rebecca Dana reports that Charlie Gibson is "livid" over the choice of Diane Sawyer as his replacement on ABC's "World News."

Dana quotes a source close to Gibson and supports the claim with the evidence that Gibson neither mentioned Sawyer in his statement nor referenced his retirement and her succession on his broadcast Wednesday night:

Dana writes:

Although they worked closely for more than a decade, Gibson makes no direct reference to Sawyer in the statement, and a source close to the departing anchor described him as "livid" that she's succeeding him. An ABC executive called this "nonsense," and Westin said he told Gibson from their earliest conversations about his retirement that Sawyer would be his replacement.
    READ DANA'S FULL REPORT HERE

Both Brian Williams on NBC and Maggie Rodriguez (filling in for Katie Couric) on CBS reported the ABC anchor shift. Williams took a personal tone, calling both Gibson and Sawyer "friends" of his and joking, "As a service to our viewers, we will let you know how their transition goes just to save you from the effort of having to watch yourself. My very best to both Charlie and Diane." Rodriguez simply added, "Congratulations to them both" (watch below).

Several reports indicate that Gibson told ABC News President David Westin of his intention to retire (not for the first time) last week, and that Westin immediately knew he would tap Sawyer to replace him. He reportedly considered no other candidates, asked Sawyer to replace Gibson last Thursday, and she agreed Tuesday night.

However, Westin told the New York Times, "This was not a result I wanted," meaning that he did not want Gibson to retire.

Sawyer, for her part, was reportedly (again) concerned first about Gibson before she would accept the job. The Washington Post's Howard Kurtz reports that Sawyer's first question when Westin offered her the job was, "Can't we talk Charlie into staying?"

Sawyer had expressed interest in the anchor job when it became available in 2006, but did not want to pursue it if it meant taking it away from Gibson.

Kurtz adds that when Gibson first approached Westin to discuss retirement earlier this summer, he told him Sawyer would likely be his replacement.

"I certainly expressed to him my view it was quite likely that Diane would be the successor," Westin told Kurtz

msnbc.com Video Player

Evening News Online, 09.02.09 - CBS News Video

Big Brian Williams fan here. They can replace Gibson with Dick Cheney for all I care. (Well, maybe not Cheney.)

If Gibson didn't want Sawyer to have his anchor job then he shouldn't have quit. She is the obvious choice to replace him.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Charlie Gibson is an ass.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

So.....what's the REASON he is so allegedly livid? Article doesn't freaking say. WTF?

And I am a Brian Williams fan too....I don't fuck around w/those other networks. Besides, once Walter Cronkite left....the Evening News Anchors have never measured up, lets just be honest.

^^Agree, Lynnie. But one of the reasons the anchors haven't measured up is because all of the major networks are owned by huge corporations who dictate what the 'news' really is.

i like Diane, but i dont know if this is a good choice. of course, it cannot be as bad as placing Katie Couric on the CBS evening news.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

What's next? Meredith Viera replacing Brian Williams?

Thread Information