Thread: Assault in the Ring - HBO Sports

Default Assault in the Ring - HBO Sports

Did anyone see this yet?

"Assault in the Ring"

(Sorry, I can't copy the text on the page)

I watched this with my husband a week or two ago and was really blown away by what a travesty this was. I don't know if I should go into detail or not, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Basically, it's about two fighters in 1983 ... one, Billy Collins, Jr., undefeated and with a dazzling career ahead of him, and a virtually unknown boxer named Luis Resto who wanted to make it big ... and what happens when things don't go the way they should (trying not to give too much away).

Kinda spoiler picture below ... kinda graphic ...

And that is NOT what should have happened!!!

Okay, imho boxing is not a sport - it is just a ridiculous excuse to punch the shit out of someone until they are knocked unconscious. Its stupidity ranks up there with other so called "sports" like rhythmic gymnastics.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

LOL ... okay. What interested me about the show was what went on in the background and in the corner and in the dressing room BEFORE the fight.

I watched this, I thought it was interesting. Especially how Resto's story unfolded as the documentary progressed.

It was sad, though. Collins father stopping him from fighting due to the lawsuit was a big factor in Collins depression and what happened after. He was just a kid, poor guy.

I enjoy boxing. I've been to some major fights in Vegas, and while I know it's semi-barbaric, I appreciate the athleticism of fighters.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; August 27th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I also enjoy boxing. Not street fighting, but the actual sport of boxing. That's what angered me (for Billy Collins Jr.) about this whole thing ... he fought fair, the other side did not ... Resto's corner man ripped the padding out of his gloves and had his hands wrapped in plaster of paris, which essentially was like punching this extremely promising boxer over and over again with rocks. And he would NOT go down, wouldn't even take a knee. I do admit that I was wavering on Resto's guilt (knowing about the gloves and hand wrapping, because he claimed for the majority of the show that he was completely unaware), until they showed the actual footage of the end of the fight when Resto goes over to shake Billy's hand ... and Billy's father (who was his manager and corner man) saw the CLEARLY misshapen gloves on Resto, grabbed him and called for an official to come over. Resto tried to pull his hands away and IMMEDIATELY looked over for his corner man. The look on his face, coupled with my last sentence, was all I needed. He knew. He SO knew.

I think Billy also stopped fighting because he was told he'd go blind if he fought again, IIRC. It just ruined him. His entire (very poor) extended family (plus his wife and infant child) were counting on him to support them, and he had nothing without boxing. Watching the documentary, you just knew what the outcome of Billy was going to be.

The thing that made me angry was that Panama still makes quite the living, even though he's officially banned from the sport ... I believe he's actually not allowed to be a corner man, but he trains a lot of big fighters and makes a ton of cash (which he flashed around during the documentary).

Just a sad story. It was really hard for me to have any sympathy for Resto, even though his life was also ruined (at least he's alive though). But showing his culpability alongside Panama, and then showing the disparity in their lives now ... just doesn't seem right.

I knew Resto knew from the beginning, there was no way he couldn't have felt the padding being missing. But what I found interesting was that he denied and denied, but as the docu unfolded, his guilt became undeniable. It seemed interesting that he thought he could keep up the denials even as the filmaker was doing the film.

The stuff about Panama infuriated me. His ban means nothing, he is still involved, in all aspects, he just can't show up at the fights. Total bullshit. But boxing is a pretty corrupt sport all around.

The blindness advice was disputed by other doctors, but the dad held him back, because it would have invalidated the lawsuit. I felt so bad for Collins- he was an uneducated kid, who had the only thing he wanted taken from him. He lost what he thought was his reason to live. So sad.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

My wife and I stumbled on this a few weeks ago while changing channels and were totally transfixed. Collins looked like he had the world at his feet until the other guys decided to cheat.

We could not believe the damage done to Collins. To me, he literally looked like he could have been Eric Stoltz's little brother in "Mask". I had no idea a face could be distorted like that from a pounding.

And Collins didn't go down. So freaking brave, and tough. Resto kind of got what he deserved -- he looks like a living ghost -- trapped between the real world and the next. Even his biological family (who gave up on him) look at him like something out of a formaldehyde jar.

Panama Lewis had been accused of cheating before, plaster wraps, tampered gloves, drugs in the water...but he's still living well, earning money.

Just so sad and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My wife and I stumbled on this a few weeks ago while changing channels and were totally transfixed. Collins looked like he had the world at his feet until the other guys decided to cheat.

We could not believe the damage done to Collins. To me, he literally looked like he could have been Eric Stoltz's little brother in "Mask". I had no idea a face could be distorted like that from a pounding.

And Collins didn't go down. So freaking brave, and tough. Resto kind of got what he deserved -- he looks like a living ghost -- trapped between the real world and the next. Even his biological family (who gave up on him) look at him like something out of a formaldehyde jar.
    Yeah, that bothered me too ... Collins was undefeated and by all accounts was going far in boxing. He WAS really good and probably would have made a really nice living for his family. But that's what sucks when you put all your eggs in one (fragile) basket. I will wholeheartedly encourage my kid to play sports (my dream for him is to be a southpaw pitcher for the Yankees ... he has an EVIL aim since three years old), but school has to come first.

That's why I posted that picture, because it's just SO shocking, especially knowing that he refused to go down. I remember in the show they told him he should have opened his eyes for the picture (it was taken by a reporter the morning after the fight) and he said DID have his eyes open.

Witchcurlgirl, do you remember where they showed a VERY short clip of Panama (with another fighter before this happened) yelling at one of the other corner men, "NO, the OTHER bottle! The one I MIXED!" when he tried to give the boxer just plain water? I asked my DH what he could possibly have put in there and his guess is that it was some kind albulteral (asthma rescuer). IDK

Resto also earned no credit from me after he finally 'fessed up to the producer/director that he knew, but then when they brought him to Panama for a confrontation, he totally backed down like a huge coward. No sympathy for him.

That said, I'm really unclear why the Collins family lawsuit was dismissed, especially against the boxing commission. Their "inspectors" are supposed to stay there the ENTIRE time the wraps and gloves are being put on (even going so far as to initial the wrap and ties) by their own rules, and he walks away for fifteen minutes?? Sounds like he got a nice little payoff. And I didn't see the whole fight, only short excerpts of it during the show, but even *I* could see there was something seriously wrong with Resto's gloves. They were all misshapen and wrinkly, when all others that I have EVER seen are smooth and poofy/spongy. If only someone had noticed much earlier in the fight ....

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Witchcurlgirl, do you remember where they showed a VERY short clip of Panama (with another fighter before this happened) yelling at one of the other corner men, "NO, the OTHER bottle! The one I MIXED!" when he tried to give the boxer just plain water? I asked my DH what he could possibly have put in there and his guess is that it was some kind albulteral (asthma rescuer). IDK

Yes. The clip was from another fight, Aaron Pryor vs. Alexis Arguello. They use asthma meds in the water, keeps up their ability to breathe and stamina.

This show was so sad. I felt so bad for that poor kid. Jesus, just listening to his wife and friends was just so heartbreaking. In the end, I almost felt bad for Resto as well. You do some low-down dirty shit and look where it got you. There should be more justice doled out towards that ass, Panama Lewis. No good, piece of shit, son of a bitch!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thread Information