Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: in IMAX 3D

Default Avatar: in IMAX 3D

James Cameron's latest film starring Sam Worthington, releases December 2009:
    In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language & culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture.

Apple synopsis: AVATAR takes us to a spectacular new world beyond our imagination, where a reluctant hero embarks on a journey of redemption and discovery, as he leads a heroic battle to save a civilization. The film was first conceived by Cameron 14 yrs ago, when the means to realize his vision did not yet exist. Now, after four years of actual production work, AVATAR delivers a fully immersive cinematic experience of a new kind, where the revolutionary technology invented to make the film, disappears into the emotion of the characters and the sweep of the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sam Worthington discussed how he’s trying to get in on the ground floor regarding future comic book movies. To do that, he put a friend on his pay roll and sent him to this year’s Comic-Con to seek out cool properties. While some actors let their agents and managers do all the work, this is just another sign that Sam is going to be around for awhile as he’s trying to set things up on his own. Very smart.

Avatar (2009 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

eh.... i dunno.. usually when Cameron gets all bloated with his movies they end up sucking.. see Titanic.. The Abyss..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Re: the trailer - looked like a blue cartoon to me.

see i'm not blown away by it at all..and just like Taffy it still looks cartoonish..but the fanboys say that its supposed to be SPECTACULAR on screen!

I dont even care for Cameron really, and Titantic was a bit extra for me but whatever, i may see it if nothing else is playing
    I was born a bitch..whats your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    eh.... i dunno.. usually when Cameron gets all bloated with his movies they end up sucking.. see Titanic.. The Abyss..
    Both were excellent, particularly The Abyss- the 'resuscitation' scene alone still gives me the chills and tears.

The Abyss is one of my favorite movies, although I think it went on for too long. Lots of suspense. Titanic is an excellent story line (even the fictional part of it) and the cinematography was just awesome.

I keep getting Avatar and The Last Airbender confused (because the cartoons use both names). My son is dying to see The Last Airbender. Sorry, OT.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^I've been looking for a trailer to watch for The Last Airbender.

M. Night Shyamalan has been sucking lately, but I still have hope that he can draw me in like he used to. His last couple of movies were bombed by the public and critics, so he better make a quick turnaround before he loses his reputation and career.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

One of my friends was talking about this the other day. He said that either Cameron will revolutionize filmmaking with Avatar or he'll crash & burn.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’ – New Character Images Unleashed!

Several new character images from James Cameron’s upcoming 3-D epic, Avatar, have hit the web! Check the photos out below and weigh in with your thoughts!
    The film is slated to hit theaters on December 18th, 2009 and co-stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, and Michelle Rodriguez. Avatar is marks Cameron’s first directorial work since his Oscar winning film, Titanic, back in 1997.
    The film takes place on Pandorum, a strange and beautiful planet with bizarre creatures and plant life. Sam Worthington plays a paraplegic who is linked through a medical process to an “avatar,” a 10-foot-tall, blue-skinned creature that looks like Pandorum’s native Na’vi. Cameron conceived Avatar 14 years ago and filmed it in stereoscopic 3-D using cameras developed by him.

Sources: Market Saw, Spoiler TV

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

I wanna see this.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Both were excellent, particularly The Abyss- the 'resuscitation' scene alone still gives me the chills and tears.
    The Abyss sucked donkey cock. The characters were charicatures, and didn't gel. Michael Biehn's mustache was ludicrous. The movie was overlong and bloated. The scene you mentioned was one of the passable moments.

Titanic sucked every which way you look at it, from the ludicrous acting to the crappy score.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This movie is a total ripoff of another CGI movie.

fgg

By Kirk Honeycutt, décembre 10, 2009 06:38 ET
    "Avatar"

Bottom Line: A titanic entertainment -- movie magic is back!
    A dozen years later, James Cameron has proven his point: He is king of the world.

As commander-in-chief of an army of visual-effects technicians, creature designers, motion-capture mavens, stunt performers, dancers, actors and music and sound magicians, he brings science-fiction movies into the 21st century with the jaw-dropping wonder that is "Avatar." And he did it almost from scratch.

There is no underlying novel or myth to generate his story. He certainly draws deeply on Westerns, going back to "The Vanishing American" and, in particular, "Dances With Wolves." And the American tragedy in Vietnam informs much of his story. But then all great stories build on the past ( "Avatar" premiered Thursday in London).

After writing this story many years ago, he discovered that the technology he needed to make it happen did not exist. So, he went out and created it in collaboration with the best effects minds in the business. This is motion capture brought to a new high where every detail of the actors' performances gets preserved in the final CG character as they appear on the screen. Yes, those eyes are no longer dead holes but big and expressive, almost dominating the wide and long alien faces.

The movie is 161 minutes and flies by in a rush. Repeat business? You bet. "Titanic"-level business? That level may never be reached again, but Fox will see more than enough grosses worldwide to cover its bet on Cameron.

But let's cut to the chase: A fully believable, flesh-and-blood (albeit not human flesh and blood) romance is the beating heart of "Avatar." Cameron has never made a movie just to show off visual pyrotechnics: Every bit of technology in "Avatar" serves the greater purpose of a deeply felt love story (watch the trailer here).

The story takes place in 2154, three decades after a multinational corporation has established a mining colony on Pandora, a planet light years from Earth. A toxic environment and hostile natives -- one corporate apparatchik calls the locals "blue monkeys" -- forces the conglom to engage with Pandora by proxy. Humans dwell in oxygen-drenched cocoons but move out into mines or to confront the planet's hostile creatures in hugely fortified armor and robotics or -- as avatars.

The protagonist, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), is a crippled former Marine who takes his late twin brother's place in the avatar program, a sort of bone thrown to the scientific community by the corporation in hopes that the study of Pandora and its population might create a more peaceful planet.

Without any training, Jake suddenly must learn how to link his consciousness to an avatar, a remotely controlled biological body that mixes human DNA with that of the native population, the Na'vi. Since he is incautious and overly curious, he immediately rushes into the fresh air -- to a native -- to throw open Pandora's many boxes.

What a glory Cameron has created for Jake to romp in, all in a crisp 3D realism. It's every fairy tale about flying dragons, magic plants, weirdly hypnotic creepy-crawlies and feral dogs rolled up into a rain forest with a highly advanced spiritual design. It seems -- although the scientists led by Sigourney Weaver's top doc have barely scratched the surface -- a flow of energy ripples through the roots of trees and the spores of the plants, which the Na'vi know how to tap into.

The center of life is a holy tree where tribal memories and the wisdom of their ancestors is theirs for the asking. This is what the humans want to strip mine.

Jake manages to get taken in by one tribe where a powerful, Amazonian named Neytiri (Zoe Saldana) takes him under her wing to teach him how to live in the forest, speak the language and honor the traditions of nature. Yes, they fall in love but Cameron has never been a sentimentalist: He makes it tough on his love birds.

They must overcome obstacles and learn each other's heart. The Na'vi have a saying, "I see you," which goes beyond the visual. It means I see into you and know your heart.

In his months with the Na'vi, Jake experiences their life as the "true world" and that inside his crippled body locked in a coffin-like transponding device, where he can control his avatar, is as the "dream." The switch to the other side is gradual for his body remains with the human colony while his consciousness is sometimes elsewhere.

He provides solid intelligence about the Na'vi defensive capabilities to Col. Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang), the ramrod head of security for the mining consortium and the movie's villain. But as Jake comes to see things through Neytiri's eyes, he hopes to establish enough trust between the humans and the natives to negotiate a peace. But the corporation wants the land the Na'vi occupy for its valuable raw material so the Colonel sees no purpose in this.

The battle for Pandora occupies much of the final third of the film. The planet's animal life -- the creatures of the ground and air -- give battle along with the Na'vi, but they come up against projectiles, bombs and armor that seemingly will be their ruin.

As with everything in "Avatar," Cameron has coolly thought things through. With every visual tool he can muster, he takes viewers through the battle like a master tactician, demonstrating how every turn in the fight, every valiant death or cowardly act, changes its course. The screen is alive with more action and the soundtrack pops with more robust music than any dozen sci-fi shoot-'em-ups you care to mention (watch the "Avatar" video game trailer here).

In years of development and four years of production no detail in the pic is unimportant. Cameron's collaborators excel beginning with the actors. Whether in human shape or as natives, they all bring terrific vitality to their roles.

Mauro Fiore's cinematography is dazzling as it melts all the visual elements into a science-fiction whole. You believe in Pandora. Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg's design brings Cameron's screenplay to life with disarming ease.

James Horner's score never intrudes but subtlety eggs the action on while the editing attributed to Cameron, Stephen Rivkin and John Refoua maintains a breathless pace that exhilarates rather than fatigues. Not a minute is wasted; there is no down time.

The only question is: How will Cameron ever top this?

Opens: Dec. 18 (20th Century Fox)
    Production companies: 20th Century Fox in association with Dune Entertainment and Ingenious Film Partners
    Cast: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Wes Studi, Laz Alonso
    Director/screenwriter: James Cameron
    Producers: James Cameron. Jon Landau
    Executive producers: Colin Wilson, Laeta Kalogridis
    Director of photography: Mauro Fiore
    Production designers: Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg
    Music: James Horner
    Senior visual effects supervisor: Joe Letteri
    Costume designers: Mayes C. Rubeo, Deborah L. Scott
    Editors: Stephen Rivkin, John Refoua, James Cameron
    Rated PG-13, 161 minutes

Cameron retains his crown

Release Date: 2009

Ebert Rating: ****

By Roger Ebert Dec 11, 2009

Watching "Avatar," I felt sort of the same as when I saw "Star Wars" in 1977. That was another movie I walked into with uncertain expectations. James Cameron's film has been the subject of relentlessly dubious advance buzz, just as his "Titanic" was. Once again, he has silenced the doubters by simply delivering an extraordinary film. There is still at least one man in Hollywood who knows how to spend $250 million, or was it $300 million, wisely.

"Avatar" is not simply a sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough. It has a flat-out Green and anti-war message. It is predestined to launch a cult. It contains such visual detailing that it would reward repeating viewings. It invents a new language, Na'vi, as "Lord of the Rings" did, although mercifully I doubt this one can be spoken by humans, even teenage humans. It creates new movie stars. It is an Event, one of those films you feel you must see to keep up with the conversation.

The story, set in the year 2154, involves a mission by U. S. Armed Forces to an earth-sized moon in orbit around a massive star. This new world, Pandora, is a rich source of a mineral Earth desperately needs. Pandora represents not even a remote threat to Earth, but we nevertheless send in the military to attack and conquer them. Gung-ho Marines employ machine guns and pilot armored hover ships on bombing runs. You are free to find this an allegory about contemporary politics. Cameron obviously does.

Pandora harbors a planetary forest inhabited peacefully by the Na'vi, a blue-skinned, golden-eyed race of slender giants, each one perhaps 12 feet tall. The atmosphere is not breathable by humans, and the landscape makes us pygmies. To venture out of our landing craft, we use avatars--Na'vi lookalikes grown organically and mind-controlled by humans who remain wired up in a trance-like state on the ship. While acting as avatars, they see, fear, taste and feel like Na'vi, and have all the same physical adeptness.

This last quality is liberating for the hero, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), who is a paraplegic. He's been recruited because he's a genetic match for a dead identical twin, who an expensive avatar was created for. In avatar state he can walk again, and as his payment for this duty he will be given a very expensive operation to restore movement to his legs. In theory he's in no danger, because if his avatar in destroyed, his human form remains untouched. In theory.

On Pandora, Jake begins as a good soldier and then goes native after his life is saved by the lithe and brave Neytiri (Zoe Saldana). He finds it is indeed true, as the aggressive Col. Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang) briefed them, that nearly every species of life here wants him for lunch. (Avatars are not be made of Na'vi flesh, but try explaining that to charging 30-ton rhino with a snout like a bullet head shark).

The Na'vi survive on this planet by knowing it well, living in harmony with nature, and being wise about the creatures they share with. In this and countless other ways they resemble Native Americans. Like them, they tame another species to carry them around--not horses, but graceful flying dragon-like creatures. The scene involving Jake capturing and taming one of these great beasts is one of the film's greats sequences.

Like "Star Wars" and "LOTR," "Avatar" employs a new generation of special effects. Cameron said it would, and many doubted him. It does. Pandora is bevy largely CGI. The Na'vi are embodied through motion capture techniques, convincingly. They look like specific, persuasive individuals, yet sidestep the eerie Uncanny Valley effect. And Cameron and his artists succeed at the difficult challenge of making Neytiri a blue-skinned giantess with golden eyes and a long, supple tail, and yet--I'll be damned. Sexy.

At 163 minutes, the film doesn't feel too long. It contains so much. The human stories. The Na'vi stories, for the Na'vi are also developed as individuals. The complexity of the planet, which harbors a global secret. The ultimate warfare, with Jake joining the resistance against his former comrades. Small graceful details like a floating creature that looks like a cross between a blowing dandelion seed and a drifting jellyfish, and embodies goodness. Or astonishing floating cloud-islands.

I've complained that many recent films abandon story telling in their third acts and go for wall-to-wall action. Cameron essentially does that here, but has invested well in establishing his characters so that it matters what they do in battle and how they do it. There are issues at stake greater than simply which side wins.

Cameron promised he'd unveil the next generation of 3-D in "Avatar." I'm a notorious skeptic about this process, a needless distraction from the perfect realism of movies in 2-D. Cameron's iteration is the best I've seen -- and more importantly, one of the most carefully-employed. The film never uses 3-D simply because it has it, and doesn't promiscuously violate the fourth wall. He also seems quite aware of 3-D's weakness for dimming the picture, and even with a film set largely in interiors and a rain forest, there's sufficient light. I saw the film in 3-D on a good screen at the AMC River East and was impressed. I might be awesome in True IMAX. Good luck in getting a ticket before February.

It takes a hell of a lot of nerve for a man to stand up at the Oscarcast and proclaim himself King of the World. James Cameron just got re-elected.

I saw a special screening of 'Avatar' last night.....AMAZING!! Everyone, not only SciFi geeks, will be blown away. It transports you, with the element of watching it in 3D, onto the screen. The world they've created is mystical, beautiful, and stunning. Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Giovanni Ribisi and Sam Worthington are the best part of the cast. If you can, try to see it in IMAX 3D. Make sure to sit just a little further back than you normally do
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information