Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Default Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Just saw this a few hours ago.......wasn't as much fun as I'd have liked because of the Metro crash.

This movie is Huge, Loud, lots of Bot fights, and has some very amusing college/dorm scenes. The 4 solidly cheesy sentimental scenes really didn't need to be in there. It's a hilarious film due to the great Brooklyn Yalie actor, who is usually found playing important character actor parts and as such, starred in some classic films. I don't want to reveal the surprise : )

I'd recommend anyone interested in seeing this film, to see it in an IMAX theatre.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Question Ouch

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Revenge of the Fallen, all right,
    if you're thinking Michael Bay

Release Date: 2009
    Ebert Rating: *
    // / Jun 23, 2009

by Roger Ebert

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination. The plot is incomprehensible. The dialog of the Autobots, Deceptibots and Otherbots is meaningless word flap. Their accents are Brooklyese, British and hip-hop, as befits a race from the distant stars. Their appearance looks like junkyard throw-up. They are dumb as a rock. They share the film with human characters who are much more interesting, and that is very faint praise indeed.

The movie has been signed by Michael Bay. This is the same man who directed "The Rock" in 1996. Now he has made "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Faust made a better deal. This isn't a film so much as a toy tie-in. Children holding a Transformer toy in their hand can invest it with wonder and magic, imagining it doing brave deeds and remaining always their friend. I knew a little boy once who lost his blue toy truck at the movies, and cried as if his heart would break. Such a child might regard "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" with fear and dismay.

The human actors are in a witless sitcom part of the time, and lot of the rest of their time is spent running in slo-mo away from explosions, although--hello!--you can't outrun an explosion. They also make speeches like this one by John Turturro: "Oh, no! The machine is buried in the pyramid! If they turn it on, it will destroy the sun! Not on my watch!" The humans, including lots of U.S. troops, shoot at the Transformers a lot, although never in the history of science fiction has an alien been harmed by gunfire.

There are many great-looking babes in the film, who are made up to a flawless perfection and look just like real women, if you are a junior fanboy whose experience of the gender is limited to lad magazines. The two most inexplicable characters are Ron and Judy Witwicky (Kevin Dunn and Julie White), who are the parents of Shia LaBeouf, who Mephistopheles threw in to sweeten the deal. They take their son away to Princeton, apparently a party school, where Judy eats some pot and goes berserk. Later they swoop down out of the sky on Egypt, for reasons the movie doesn't make crystal clear, so they also can run in slo-mo from explosions.

The battle scenes are bewildering. A Bot makes no visual sense anyway, but two or three tangled up together create an incomprehensible confusion. I find it amusing that creatures that can unfold out of a Camaro and stand four stories high do most of their fighting with...fists. Like I say, dumber than a box of staples. They have tiny little heads, except for Starscream®, who is so ancient he has an aluminum beard.

Aware that this movie opened in England seven hours before Chicago time and the morning papers would be on the streets, after writing the above I looked up the first reviews as a reality check. I was reassured: "Like watching paint dry while getting hit over the head with a frying pan!" (Bradshaw, Guardian); "Sums up everything that is most tedious, crass and despicable about modern Hollywood!" (Tookey, Daily Mail); "A giant, lumbering idiot of a movie!" (Edwards, Daily Mirror). The first American review, however, reported that it "feels destined to be the biggest movie of all time" (Todd Gilchrist, Cinematical). It’s certainly the biggest something of all time.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I'm still going to see it because I loved the first one, but I have a strong feeling that it's going to be disappointing.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

They had a midnight showing here at our local IMAX. The tv reporter that was outside reporting on it said,...she was pretty surprised that most of the crowd leaving the first show were males, ages 16-25. Well, d'uh!! A dark IMAX theater at midnight and Megan Fox. Why would there be a lot of males in that show?

We plan on seeing it sometime. I want to see it in IMAX. We saw The Dark Knight last summer in IMAX and it was really cool! Dark Knight was the first movie to actually film parts of the movie in the IMAX film format, and I guess Transformers 2 is the second movie to be shot in that format, too.

I read there are racist Jar Jar Bots in there? Jive-talking, illiterate, and sporting gold teef.
    Last edited by lurkur; June 24th, 2009 at 03:18 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Roger Ebert is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    I read there are racist Jar Jar Bots in there? Jive-talking, illiterate, and sporting gold teef.
    I saw the 12am showing here, and the movie was awesome. The two bots weren't racist at all, unless you found Jazz from the original Transformer movie racist..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

I saw the 4:20 screening at a theater called Stonybrook.....WONDERFUL start!!

I thought it was a good movie, but too long. I now realize Megan Fox cannot act. At all. She wandrered about in cartoonishly sexy poses/lip pouts the whole movie.

Anyway, I LOVE the cars in this flick. My panties were wet, seriously. Worth it to me just to see the cars.

I loved the first one. I just saw the the second one today and it's overrated and an excuse for Megan Fox to show off her newly-plumped lips.

There's a scene where Josh Duhamel screams/lectures an official before throwing him out of the plane--the volume of the engine plane exceeded his voice. How the eff could we have heard or understood him?!?!?

Garbage.
    Go Habs Go!!

Jive-talking twin Transformers raise race issues - Yahoo! News

LOS ANGELES – Harmless comic characters or racist robots? The buzz over the summer blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" only grew Wednesday as some said two jive-talking Chevy characters were racial caricatures.
    Skids and Mudflap, twin robots disguised as compact hatchbacks, constantly brawl and bicker in rap-inspired street slang. They're forced to acknowledge that they can't read. One has a gold tooth.
    As good guys, they fight alongside the Autobots and are intended to provide comic relief. But their traits raise the specter of stereotypes most notably seen when Jar Jar Binks, the clumsy, broken-English speaking alien from "Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace," was criticized as a caricature.
    One fan called the Transformers twins "Jar Jar Bots" in a blog post online.
    Todd Herrold, who watched the movie in New York City, called the characters "outrageous."
    "It's one thing when robot cars are racial stereotypes," he said, "but the movie also had a bucktoothed black guy who is briefly in one scene who's also a stereotype."
    "They're like the fools," said 18-year-old Nicholas Govede, also of New York City. "The comic relief in a degrading way."

Not all fans were offended. Twin brothers Jason and William Garcia, 18, who saw the movie in Miami, said they related to the characters — not their illiteracy, but their bickering.
    "They were hilarious," Jason said. "Every movie has their standout character, and I think they were the ones for this movie."
    In Atlanta, Rico Lawson said people were reading too much into the characters. "It was actually funny," said Lawson, 25, who saw the movie with his girlfriend in Atlanta.
    That was the aim, director Michael Bay said in an interview.
    "It's done in fun," he said. "I don't know if it's stereotypes — they are robots, by the way. These are the voice actors. This is kind of the direction they were taking the characters and we went with it."
    Bay said the twins' parts "were kind of written but not really written, so the voice actors is when we started to really kind of come up with their characters."
    Actor Reno Wilson, who is black, voices Mudflap. Tom Kenny, the white actor behind SpongeBob SquarePants, voices Skids.
    Wilson said Wednesday that he never imagined viewers might consider the twins to be racial caricatures. When he took the role, he was told that the alien robots learned about human culture through the Web and that the twins were "wannabe gangster types."
    "It's an alien who uploaded information from the Internet and put together the conglomeration and formed this cadence, way of speaking and body language that was accumulated over X amount of years of information and that's what came out," the 40-year-old actor said. "If he had uploaded country music, he would have come out like that."
    It's not fair to assume the characters are black, he said.
    "It could easily be a Transformer that uploaded Kevin Federline data," Wilson said. "They were just like posers to me."
    Kenny did not respond to an interview request Wednesday.
    "I purely did it for kids," the director said. "Young kids love these robots, because it makes it more accessible to them."
    Screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman said they followed Bay's lead in creating the twins. Still, the characters aren't integral to the story, and when the action gets serious, they disappear entirely, notes Tasha Robinson, associate entertainment editor at The Onion.
    "They don't really have any positive effect on the film," she said. "They only exist to talk in bad ebonics, beat each other up and talk about how stupid each other is."
    Hollywood has a track record of using negative stereotypes of black characters for comic relief, said Todd Boyd, a professor of popular culture at the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts, who has not seen the "Transformers" sequel.
    "There's a history of people getting laughs at the expense of African-Americans and African-American culture," Boyd said. "These images are not completely divorced from history even though it's a new movie and even though they're robots and not humans."
    American cinema also has a tendency to deal with race indirectly, said Allyson Nadia Field, an assistant professor of cinema and media studies at the University of California, Los Angeles.
    "There's a persistent dehumanization of African-Americans throughout Hollywood that displaces issues of race onto non-human entities," said Field, who also hasn't seen the film. "It's not about skin color or robot color. It's about how their actions and language are coded racially."
    If these characters weren't animated and instead played by real black actors, "then you might have to admit that it's racist," Robinson said. "But stick it into a robot's mouth, and it's just a robot, it's OK."
    But if they're alien robots, she continued, "why do they talk like bad black stereotypes?"

Bay brushes off any whiff of controversy.
    "Listen, you're going to have your naysayers on anything," he said. "It's like is everything going to be melba toast? It takes all forms and shapes and sizes."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have one of the filthiest mouths around, but I was a little surprised by the amount of profanity in the movie. My kids were laughing their asses off, especially when one of the bots calls someone a pussy. My daughter also asked what it meant to have your cherry popped. I think they used just about every swear word. I thought it was a bit much for PG-13.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I loved Skids and Mudflaps, they were my favorite characters!! They are no more racist than your typical rap group, IMO. Those raising these ridiculous racists issues are shit stirring pansies.

Elite Member

I saw this movie last night. I liked it, thought it was better than the first Transformers. I agree that it's LOUD and that last fight scene lasted forever, but it's worth every penny. Good graphics. Shia and Megan did a good job.

As mentioned before, definitely watch it on IMAX screen.

Gold Member

Ok, the last time I saw anything in IMAX was in the 5th grade. That was a long time ago. IMAX has a craptastic website and Fandango won't tell me the ticket prices. What's the benefit of seeing this (or anything) at an IMAX theater?

My son is almost 6, he's desperate to see the movie. My husband is 35, he rewound the tv about 6 times last night for a commercial because he saw an SR-71 Blackbird on the screen. Not only do we have Transformers, we have big explosions and then we throw that in there and it's like Christmas for the man. When I explained that must be Jetfire, it was like I had announced the second coming of Christ. The man wouldn't shut up and frankly, I gotta give him something right now, lol. He's putting up with a lot of shit!
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

It's Skyfire, but yeah.

My take on the movie:

1) about the same as the first, just with more kabooms

2) Megan has SO MUCH COLLAGEN IN HER LIPS it's distracting. Her mouth looks like a fucking VAGINA. It was so irritating! I couldn't do anything but stare at that baboon ass of a face with them big flapping lips! She also can't act worth shit, and she comes across like a dimwit with bad skin and too much tranny foundation on.

3) the racistbots were so racist.. omg, even i cringed. Gold teeth? Big fat lips? Jive talkin? They were racist and so annoying, totally the jar-jar's of the movie.

That's it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information