X-Men Origins: Wolverine :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    A monosyllabic superhero who
    wouldn't pass the Turing Test

Release Date: 2009
    Ebert Rating: **
    / / / Apr 29, 2009

by Roger Ebert

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" finally answers the burning question, left hanging after all three previous "Wolverine" movies, of the origins of Logan, whose knuckles conceal long and wicked blades. He is about 175 years old, he apparently stopped changing when he reached Hugh Jackman's age, and neither he, nor we, find out how he developed such an interesting mutation.

His half-brother was Victor (Liev Schreiber). Their story starts in "1840 -- the Northwest Territories of Canada," a neat trick, since Canada was formed in 1867, and its Northwest Territories in 1870. But you didn't come here for a history lesson. Or maybe you did, if you need to know that Logan and Victor became Americans (still before they could be Canadians) and fought side by side in the Civil War, World War I, World War II and Vietnam. Why they did this, I have no idea. Maybe they just enjoyed themselves.

Booted out of the Army in Vietnam, Logan/Wolverine joined a secret Black Ops unit under Gen. Stryker (Danny Huston), until finally, in Nigeria, he got fed up with atrocities. Nevertheless, he was recruited by Stryker for a super secret plan to create a Mutant of Mutants, who would incorporate all available mutant powers, including those of the kid whose eyes are like laser beams. He wears sunglasses. Lotta good they'll do him.

Am I being disrespectful to this material? You bet. It is Hugh Jackman's misfortune that when they were handing out superheroes, he got Wolverine, who is for my money low on the charisma list. He never says anything witty, insightful or very intelligent; his utterances are limited to the vocalization of primitive forces: anger, hurt, vengeance, love, hate, determination. There isn't a speck of ambiguity. That Wolverine has been voted the No. 1 comic hero of all time must be the result of a stuffed ballot box.

At least, you hope, he has an interesting vulnerability? I'm sure X-Men scholars can tell you what it is, although since he has the gift of instant healing, it's hard to pinpoint. When a man can leap from an exploding truck, cling to an attacking helicopter, slice the rotor blades, ride it to the ground, leap free and walk away (in that ancient cliche where there's a fiery explosion behind him but he doesn't seem to notice it), here's what I think: Why should I care about this guy? He feels no pain and nothing can kill him, so therefore he's essentially a story device for action sequences.

Oh, the film is well-made. Gavin Hood, the director, made the great film "Tsotsi" (2005) and the damned good film "Rendition" (2007) before signing on here. Fat chance "Wolverine" fans will seek out those two. Why does a gifted director make a film none of his earlier admirers would much want to see? That's how you get to be a success in Hollywood. When you make a big box-office hit for mostly fanboys, you've hit the big time. Look at Justin Lin with "Fast & Furious."

Such films are assemblies of events. There is little dialogue, except for the snarling of threats, vows and laments, and the recitation of essential plot points. Nothing here about human nature. No personalities beyond those hauled in via typecasting. No lessons to learn. No joy to be experienced. Just mayhem, noise and pretty pictures. I have been powerfully impressed by film versions of Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Iron Man and the Iron Giant. I wouldn't even walk across the street to meet Wolverine.

But wait! -- you say. Doesn't "X-Men Origins" at least provide a learning experience for Logan about the origins of Wolverine? Hollow laugh. Because we know that the modern Wolverine has a form of amnesia, it cannot be a spoiler for me to reveal that at the end of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," he forgets everything that has happened in the film. Lucky man.

i havent seen the other xmen stuff, but this one looks interesting. i'm gonna go see it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I love Roger Ebert's reviews. And he was right when he called the other X-men movies 'Wolverine' movies, because that's what they were unfortunately.

He may have hated Wolverine, but I'm still going to check it out.

I am totally going to see it, I almost died when I saw hugh jackman as wolverine for the first time, too hot.

I really don't care about what kind of movie it's going to be as long as he is in it.

I def want to see this movie.

I loved the XMen and I'm betting I'm going to love this!

Was anyone else completely bored by the trailers? I honestly wasn't that surprised when the word after the leak was that it was awful. It just looked so cheaply-made and thrown together.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

Ebert has grown tiresome. Having him intellectually dissect Wolverine is just silly. Sometimes people just want to be entertained, not walk out of the theater wanting to explore existentialism.

I'm going to see it this weekend. Can't wait!

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Saw it, was acceptable. Not art by any means, but a good popcorn flick.

Liev Schreiber is fucking hawwwwwwt

MmmMHMMMM
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I was never a comic book person so I see them with a open mind. Tobey McGuire is a perfect Spiderman, they have yet to find the perfect Batman with the deep voice and square jaw, Wolverine movies are great CGI but I never get the rah feeling like others do... my favorite so far is the Transformer movie (I know lame)

I know we won't go see this one, I'll wait til the family gets together and one of us owns the movie.

btw Van Helsing sucked and I waited for it to come out for almost a year. bummer

I really enjoyed this movie, actually. Yes, the plot was predictable and it's hardly a cinematic triumph, but it was lots of fun and like Grimm said, a good popcorn flick.

^^Van Helsing was one of those movies that was okay on cable, but if I had paid to see it I would've been pissed.

Well we went to see it last night with some friends, I couldn't help but be disappointed. Damn my high expectations! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible and it wasn't a waste of money...but I just wanted more. Sabertooth was the best part of the whole movie, I loved the parts that Liev Schreiber was in. Some parts were just over the top cheesy though.

This is kind of spoilerish, I guess if you know nothing at all about the movie...but I didn't get why in the intro it shows Logan getting hit by cannon fire and it bouncing off him, etc. But that was before he got that crap injected to change(?) his skeleton. So how come that didn't kill him? I get that he had healing powers at that stage, but that would have at least broken every bone in his body, he couldn't just run through that. When he fought Sabertooth later (before the "change") he basically got his ass kicked and didn't heal instantaneously.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Well we went to see it last night with some friends, I couldn't help but be disappointed. Damn my high expectations! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible and it wasn't a waste of money...but I just wanted more. Sabertooth was the best part of the whole movie, I loved the parts that Liev Schreiber was in. Some parts were just over the top cheesy though.

This is kind of spoilerish, I guess if you know nothing at all about the movie...but I didn't get why in the intro it shows Logan getting hit by cannon fire and it bouncing off him, etc. But that was before he got that crap injected to change(?) his skeleton. So how come that didn't kill him? I get that he had healing powers at that stage, but that would have at least broken every bone in his body, he couldn't just run through that. When he fought Sabertooth later (before the "change") he basically got his ass kicked and didn't heal instantaneously.
    It's a comic book movie. You're just suppose to suspend belief and ignore the bad writing.

Quote Originally Posted by frazzled View Post
    Was anyone else completely bored by the trailers? I honestly wasn't that surprised when the word after the leak was that it was awful. It just looked so cheaply-made and thrown together.
    I thought it looked boring until I saw Ryan Reynolds was in it. I MAY actually enjoying having to watch an X-man movies with my son and husband.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information