Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: World Cup Brazil

Elite Member

Too bad USA went out. They fought hard, but in the end I just think Belgium were better. I love all the "Things Tim Howard could save"-memes. He was great.

Tim Howard was amazing. The US should have lost by 6 with the way they were playing. His saves were phenomenal.

I was sitting out the couch watching the game with my husband and was blasting Klinsmann for not bringing Donovan, who we really could have used. I think I said, "I'm glad Julian Green came and not Donovan...." Not 3 minutes later Green is subbed in and scores on the FIRST TOUCH! I seriously at my words. Way to put me in my place, Klinsmann.

Yedlin was also amazing. He's 20 and played so well for not having much International experience. I'm a big Timbers fan so anyone who is a Sounder is automatically "bad", but Dempsey and Yedlin (especially Yedlin) played so well.
    calcifer likes this.

JAAAAAAAAAAAA! we won!!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Very exciting overtime. The US had it in front of Belgium's goal numerous times at 1-2, but couldn't seal the deal.
    it was nerve-racking to watch. our defense was practically gone in the second half of overtime. they were too exhausted. but looking at the overall statistics, belgium had 29 shots on target and the us 9. big difference there.

and howard was great, he stopped almost every attempt. i'm not sure if we will survive argentina on saturday because we still lack a bit of finesse in our game.

Go Netherlands!!!!!!!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Fucking game gave me extra stress!!Since France is out i am all for Netherlands!!!!!!!!!Go Oranje!!!!!!!!!!!!
    C_is_for_Cookie and levitt like this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Wow, that was kind of a heartbreaker for Costa Rica. But they were a Cinderella team and Netherlands was really dominating in the second half (in my opinion). I think the game was refreshingly free of fouls. Also free of dives. It's ironica that after all of Navas' saves during the game, he was bested by a substitute goalie who didn't actually play in the regulation or overtime. But I HAVE NO IDEA how substitution in FIFA soccer works. My son's teammate is from the Netherlands and I bet his dad is ecstatic right now.

Oh, and Brazil is in pretty bad shape. Top player has a broken vertebrae, and their team captain is out because of yellow cards.

Elite Member

So, I missed all the quarter finals due to real life events, but hopefully I'll be ready for the semis. I'm hoping for a Germany-Argentina final, but it's tough to predict at this point, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wow, that was kind of a heartbreaker for Costa Rica. But they were a Cinderella team and Netherlands was really dominating in the second half (in my opinion). I think the game was refreshingly free of fouls. Also free of dives. It's ironica that after all of Navas' saves during the game, he was bested by a substitute goalie who didn't actually play in the regulation or overtime. But I HAVE NO IDEA how substitution in FIFA soccer works. My son's teammate is from the Netherlands and I bet his dad is ecstatic right now.

Oh, and Brazil is in pretty bad shape. Top player has a broken vertebrae, and their team captain is out because of yellow cards.
    I think they're allowed 3 replacements during a 90 minute match. I don't know about the rules for any extension of the game when the score remains even, I think those are different because during normal competition league football many matches end with an even score. Only in championships like the World Cup do they need to finish with a winner. From what I hear around me the Dutch coach had a stroke of genius anticipating it might be a tough and long match that could end with penalty shooting, so - considering the extremely hot weather conditions the Dutch aren't used to - his strategy was to exchange the goal keeper, should the match end that way, so that the keeper who'd been on in the heat for 2 hours would not feel the burden of having to stop penalty shots as well. Great thinking.

The streets were totally abandoned during the match and we didn't hear ANYTHING for the longest time. So, we feared they might be behind, but every time we peeked the score was still 0-0. Then we went to bed and zapped up and down the dial a bit and then an enormous cheering began and fireworks were set off! Obviously they'd gotten through, if only barely.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I wish i ve been in Holland last night!And Van Haal IS one of the best coaches around!If Brazil ends up with the cup it will be only because she is hosting the games and FIFA support.

All credit to Van Gaal as a manager makes me happy as I want him to bring glory back to Man Utd.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

We cheered so loud for The Netherlands, we were super excited!!! I had baby T asleep in my arms and I nearly dropped him, such an exciting game! It's a pity for Costa Rica but they weren't playing football. The best team definitely won. Holy crap, Robben is amazing. GO ORANJE,they'd better win it!
    levitt, effie2 and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    All credit to Van Gaal as a manager makes me happy as I want him to bring glory back to Man Utd.
    i am a liverpool fc fan..but i agree here,if somebody can revive manunited it is van gaal!
    levitt and Belt Up like this.

Finally found your flaw there Effie.
    effie2 and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

It was heart breaking seeing Neymar getting hurt. As a Mother, I would have been freaking out if that were my child. But, I also felt for him. Not just for the pain he was suffering, but for him knowing he is out of the World Cup now, and can't play no matter how much he wants to. That is hard for any player. Brazil will have to pull it together if they want to show the world they are more than the two players they have lost.
    Belt Up likes this.

I don't give a shit who wins at this stage...as long as it isn't the Germans, obviously

Oh shit, come on Brazil!!!
    Last edited by Belt Up; July 8th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information