Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: World Cup Brazil

I only watched the first half of the Holland-Mexico game which was actually pretty boring. So, of course I missed the good part.

No one probably would have thought that Columbia can come that far - it would be nice if they win also the next games.

The Brazil-Chile game was intense. Talk about winning by the skin of their teeth.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    ^Well, as you may know we reside in The Netherlands and we don't even have to watch any of the matches. We just know that when it's dead quiet they're either even in score or behind. So, as soon as all the cheering, yelling and tooting of horns begins, we know that The Netherlands have scored or are ahead, LOL. There was great concern ahead of this match against Mexico because the city it was played in had temperatures way in the thirties (Celsius). That may be okay with the Mexican team, but the Dutch aren't used to such extreme temperatures, so everybody here feared the worst, also regarding the health of the players. But, it turned out well and they won, again, and deservedly so, if only because they managed to stay vertical for the full duration of the match.
    I bet there's some partying in Holland tonight. I can't imagine having to sit in the audience in that heat, let alone running around for 2x45 minutes. So kudos to both teams for making it in good health.
    And apparantly the Greek players are giving their bonus to pay for training facilities for the national team, good for them. I guess the financial crisis is still hard in Greece.

^Well, as you may know we reside in The Netherlands and we don't even have to watch any of the matches. We just know that when it's dead quiet they're either even in score or behind. So, as soon as all the cheering, yelling and tooting of horns begins, we know that The Netherlands have scored or are ahead, LOL. There was great concern ahead of this match against Mexico because the city it was played in had temperatures way in the thirties (Celsius). That may be okay with the Mexican team, but the Dutch aren't used to such extreme temperatures, so everybody here feared the worst, also regarding the health of the players. But, it turned out well and they won, again, and deservedly so, if only because they managed to stay vertical for the full duration of the match.
    It also the best time to get your grocery shopping done haha. I used to work at a supermarket and when Holland played an afternoon game during Euro 2000 it was dead there. I don't think I knew that you live there

^^^
    i had a similar experience in amsterdam during the 98 world cup. i was visiting my then bf and we were walking around one weekday afternoon, downtown amsterdam, so on any given day it should have been extremely crowded, especially given that it was summer. but there wasn't a soul on the street, it was eerie, like a ghost town. except for the occasional screams.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Go Holland!!!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Elite Member

Well, well, well. Another penalty shot drama. I hope there won't be too many of these, as they're a too much luck of the draw for my taste. This time with Costa Rica as a winner. Bad luck for Greece, who did better that I expected.

If I had to say one thing about the WC so far, it's that the reffing has been somewhat poor and uneven. Maybe it's time to introduce more electronic help. Maybe an extra ref at the sideline who could review slow motions during the game, even though that tends to add more stoppage, which I find annoying. Just my 2 cents.

I HATE when we get down to penalty shots in my girls soccer games. I have to get up from the stands and go off to the side by myself. I get so stressed and so pissed that I can't be around any of the other soccer parents. lol.

Wish I could have seen some of the games this weekend. Some great moments it sounds like...

I was rooting for Holland loudly from the get go, didn't see a single supporter in London until after the game haha (I was out in Leicester Square yesterday)
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I am gutted, absolutely gutted after losing to Costa Rica. We could have beat them but our guys missed a lot of great chances and also the Costa Rican goalie was unbelievable. I am happy for them but soooo sad for our guys. And very sleep deprived right now.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

^Well, as you may know we reside in The Netherlands and we don't even have to watch any of the matches. We just know that when it's dead quiet they're either even in score or behind. So, as soon as all the cheering, yelling and tooting of horns begins, we know that The Netherlands have scored or are ahead, LOL.
    It's the same in Argentina. People stop working to watch the games. There is a match tomorrow and they are going to watch it here at work.
    I don't care really but I always wish the team get to the finals so I could enjoy the quiet time.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I am gutted, absolutely gutted after losing to Costa Rica. We could have beat them but our guys missed a lot of great chances and also the Costa Rican goalie was unbelievable. I am happy for them but soooo sad for our guys. And very sleep deprived right now.
    On Saturday night, my son was at a birthday party that went way into the night. I was hanging out with the dads on the deck, when one of the guys' wives said, "See, the goalie for Greece has the same last name as you - Karnezis."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    On Saturday night, my son was at a birthday party that went way into the night. I was hanging out with the dads on the deck, when one of the guys' wives said, "See, the goalie for Greece has the same last name as you - Karnezis."
    I feel like I am missing something. One of the dads was called Karnezis? Your last name is similar to Karnezis? You are making a pun I am totally not getting?

Kinda missing sleep today too after Germany-Algeria last night. Brilliant match, the Algerians were on fire! Too bad they didn't make it through but they more than held their own against Germany.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Glad you asked, Yanna. I didn't get what he meant, either...lol

I worked 2 hours over yesterday, so I can take off for the USA game today. Going to my Mom's and watch it with my youngest daughter. Mom is making walking tacos!! Yummie!!!

GO USA!!!!! I hope they kick ass!!

Here tonight big screen (with hopefully lots of Belgians and Americans) and Allez les Diables Rouges!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information