Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: World Cup Brazil

I would hope that someone would pick up Ochoa after that game!!! No tryout needed,....he showed what he can do, for sure!!

There has been some interesting developments in this WC. Teams you'd think would be out are hanging in there, and the ones you'd put your money on, are being eliminated. That is how soccer goes....the best team doesn't always win. It hinges on a ton of factors each game.

Eh, I find football far more predictable than the NFL. Which is both good and bad - the better teams do tend to win out in football (at least premier league). There are rarely surprises, unlike in the NFL "any given Sunday", where a ball can bounce the wrong way a couple of times and there you go, total surprise win.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Elite Member

Oh, what a game yesterday. England need something of a miracle now in order to advance. And how crazy that Pereira was allowed to continue.
    Anyhow tonight it's Italy against Costa Rica. Fingers crossed for an Italian victory.

It was so scary to see Pereira knocked out cold. At first I thought he had a heart attack, or something, until they showed that sickening scene of how he was kneed on the head. He was unsteady trying to get out of there, scary stuff. I have whined about it on FB too but gotta say, I was also shocked with how Sterling didn't appear to give two shits about what had happened to Pereira. He didn't go over to check on him, apologise, nothing.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

See, that's what the English are good at. Knocking people out.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    Eh, I find football far more predictable than the NFL. Which is both good and bad - the better teams do tend to win out in football (at least premier league). There are rarely surprises, unlike in the NFL "any given Sunday", where a ball can bounce the wrong way a couple of times and there you go, total surprise win.

Wasn't Spain ranked #1 going into the WC? And they are already out. Sometimes things go awry and a good team allows a not so great team to get in their head and blow them out.

That was scary when Pereira took the knee to the head and just laid there.

Elite Member

Well, that sucked. Italy lost and England's out. The Costa Ricans really managed to passify the Italians.

So, pretty much the Latin American countries are all moving on to the next round, right?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    So, pretty much the Latin American countries are all moving on to the next round, right?
    Not all groups are decided yet, some have still only played one match. Ecuador and Honduras are without points, but have only played one match. They are playing each other later tonight. Italy vs. Uruguay on the 24th will certainly be interesting as they both have 3 points in 2 games. I think Mexico-Croatia is another win or go home match.

I haven't done the math, but it looks like Brazil, Holland, Chile, Colombia, and Costa Rica are already set to move on to the next round. So yeah, lots of South Americans.

I went to my Mom's over lunch and was able to watch the first half of the France/Switerland match. Boy,...France didn't mess around. Several beautiful goals. I wish our high school girls team could get set up like that...lol

Proud of the USA. Wish they hadn't let them slip that goal in with seconds left of the half,...but that is how soccer goes a lot of the time. Heartbreaker for sure! We were screaming kick it out, kick it out, kick it out like fiends. At least that could have burned up a few seconds off the clock for them to in bound the ball. But, onward and upward. They will have to play hard Thursday.
    Last edited by JadeStar70; June 24th, 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Having watched a few matches with our Dutch friends, I - as a US citizen - must conclude that this game is the only game that should be called football. They kick with their FEET and if a ball happens to touch an arm or a hand, play goes to the other team. This truly is football, not our American football where the ball is carried around the field and you only get to kick the thing between the goal posts. Also, the real football players play the full 90 minutes, unless they are replaced due to a switch or an injury and the game rarely is stopped, unlike AF. AF is more like rugby, but then with padding. I don't know the game of real football well enough yet and I don't know that I'll be watching matches outside the World Cup context, but so far I find it quite exciting.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I never understood why we named the game football, either. Especially when that name was already taken....

Elite Member

Italy is out.
    Cup of the world is over.
    Life now meaningless.

I hate them for playing defensively, playing for the tie. It was bound to backfire against a guy like Suarez.
    Ok, so they got a red card - undeservedly IMO. That's tough to beat. But to think, this was likely Pirlos last game in Azure. Sigh.
    I think I'll go curl up in a ball and have a wee cry.

What team should I root for now? I'm taking suggestions.

^ I'm sad Italy is out too! A lot of teams that I like have been doing poorly, and a lot of countries coming out of nowhere and pulling upsets. I was devastated when Spain got eliminated. Also, did you see Suarez supposedly bite Chiellini?!?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information