Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women's uneven bars - SPOILERS

This, along with the (underage) Chinese gymnast who fell getting bronze over Alicia Sacramone on vault, is unbelievable. The bias and disregard for the rules is just ridiculous.

Yes I would love it to be explained to me how Alicia didn't win a bronze after someone fucking fell on a vault. I understand high difficulty but if that is always true you just say hey my routine is difficult, fall on your ass and win anyway. It's bullshit.

The new style of scoring is complicated......

Two panels of judges score every routine, evaluating different aspects of the performance. The final mark is the combined total of these two scores.

The A-score evaluates the content of the exercise on three criteria: the Difficulty Value (DV), Element Group Requirements (EGR) and Connection Value (CV).

* DV: The nine most difficult elements of the routine, plus the dismount, are added together. For a G skill a gymnast earns 0.7; for an A, he or she earns 0.1 points. In 2008, this rule applies to both men (MAG) and women (WAG) at both the senior and junior levels. However, from 2009 onwards, the total number of skills counted in the DV in the WAG Code for all competitors and the MAG Code for juniors will be dropped from ten to eight.

* EGR: Gymnasts must demonstrate skills from five required Element Groups on each apparatus. A gymnast may use skills to fulfill the DV and the EGR simultaneously. For each EG presented, 0.5 points are awarded. A maximum score of 2.50 points may be earned here.

* CV: Additional points are given for connections of two or more elements.

Although the A judging panel does not take deductions, they may decide not to give gymnasts DV or EGR points for elements that are performed with falls. A gymnast may also lose CV credit if there are extra steps or pauses between skills that are meant to be connected.
    The A-score is open-ended; in theory a gymnast could obtain unlimited points by performing connected skills.

The B-score evaluates the performance, ie, the "execution, composition and artistry" of the routine.
    • The base score is 10.0. Judges do not add to this, but rather, take away points for errors in form, artistry, execution, technique and routine composition. Deductions for falls are included in this mark, and have been raised from 0.5 to 0.8. Deductions for small, medium, and large errors have been raised from 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 to 0.1, 0.3, and 0.5.
    The A-score and B-score are added together for the gymnast's final mark.

This judging system applies to all events except vault. Vault scoring is somewhat different:
    • Every vault has been assigned a specific points value in the Code. The D-score is simply this value. Every gymnast performing the same vault will receive the same number of points.
    • The E-score is the most important score on this apparatus. The judges on this panel work from the 10.0 base mark and deduct for form, technique, execution and landing.
    The D-score and E-score are added together for the gymnasts's final mark.

There are several acts that completely invalidate the vault and result in a score of 0. These include receiving spotting (assistance) from a coach and not using the U-shaped safety mat for Yurchenko-style vaults.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I was an elite competitive gymnast for a few years back in the '80's. This is not a new or isolated incident. There has always been scoring bias, and there always will be. Look at the 1972 Olympics. The 1984 Olympics, The 1996 Olympics.

It happens in any sport like this, or skating, diving, etc where it is up to a person to make a judgement. There is also a lot more to the technical execution aspect then the average fan would be aware of.

It's funny that Bela is crying about it now, he's been a huge part of biased scoring here in the US since the 1980's. He and his wife have rigged US competitions to give lower scores to certain girls, and higher to others. They have blocked girls from National and Olympic teams, and have done things like that for ages. They actually held a second closed door olympic team trials in 1992 to leave a girl off the team who had qualified in the real trials. Gymnastics has an enormous behind the scenes political component.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It's the same here in the US( except our athletes are volunteer not selected)....and it was in the old Eastern block as well...That's what it takes to win in a sport where you'll be finished at 17.

Amen.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information