Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Women's gymnastics - spoilers

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

It's awesome that there are former gymnasts here. I was an elite gymnast from '82-84. We have a lot of insight and perspective to share.

Gymnastics is a beautiful but brutal sport. I was grabbed by the neck. I competed on a broken ankle. I was told at a competition in another city that if i cried (from the pain of the ankle) that i would be pulled out of the competition and put on a plane immediately. Bottom line? The Karolyi's get results because they use Eastern Bloc methods--the same as the Chinese, the former USSR. What made them so good are the training methods now used at the ranch. It really is nearly impossible to be competitive with the old 'American' methods of coaching, which in retrospect seem undisciplined and coddling. If the US wants results, the Karolyi's aren't going anywhere. I doubt they will ever be sanctioned by the USGA. It's a choice--be competitive on the world stage, or go back to the old system.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

^^ another old timer from the Class VI- Elite era..... I was a junior until 1983, then a senior until 1985.....we competed at the same time

and yes, it is brutal, and these kids are tough....you have to be....it's no place for sissies
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

I think it's awesome that your daughter is still involved and coaching, I coached a bit while I was in college, I loved it. It's such a beautiful sport.
    She brings me in to watch her girls from time to time b/c I'm such a good "watcher"!!! LOL

I'm not sure the Prep H ever worked but she believed in it. Ah the smell of gym socks and stinky pits - the cost of leotards and warm ups - the road trips and the missed days of school - brings a tear to your eye doesn't it?

We moved around a bit. She went to four gym's and each of her coaches was good to her. Except one, Tish who felt it was her job to make everyone as anexoric as she was... moving right along. Mandy competed seriously from age 9 to 16 hum that would be 1984 to 1991. She did the change overs too in levels but thats not near as bad as the new scoring.

I remember when a double back was a biggie geez. Beam routines blew me away.

Shawn Johnson is a typical American gymnast but I loved Nastia's lines especially on bars. She would make a awesome rhythmic gymnast... and don't we suck in that department - maybe Bela will put on a leotard and help us out

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I'm not sure the Prep H ever worked but she believed in it. Ah the smell of gym socks and stinky pits - the cost of leotards and warm ups - the road trips and the missed days of school - brings a tear to your eye doesn't it?

That was always my Dad's big complaint 'The gym reeks of body odor, I can't bear it'

My mom used to go crazy from the injuries, even now all these years later if I say 'Oh my knee hurts' or 'My back is bothering me' she right away will blame it on gymnastics.....Conveniently ignoring the fact that I'm getting old.

I also remember when a double back was a big deal....and when the switch in vaults changed from Tsukahara style to Yurchencko style.

I like Nastia's lines as well, she always reminded me of Olga Mostepanova. The Russians always had a grace that the Americans couldn't match.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

The BBC has seen an internet document apparently from the website of China's General Administration of Sport, dated last year.

BBC SPORT | Olympics | Gymnastics | Olympic probe into gymnasts' ages

this is so going to be swept under the carpet.. if they can't play fair then we should just give up on the Olympics ..... whats the point?

arggggggg

I noticed no one does 3 aerial back handsprings in a row anymore. Not that I fault them, that's hard as shit (hell, I can't even do one without the aerial aspect) but I just miss old gymnastics I have no doubt that they're capable of doing it though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information