Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women's gymnastics - spoilers

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    It's killing me to fucking wait for NBC to run this and avoid this thread.
    I accidentally clicked through to SI.com earlier today and found out what happened.

Needless to say, it's notable.

On HBO, she said her sacrifices of living a spartan life, always watching her diet and enduring several injuries including a stress fracture during the 1996 Olympic year were not necessary.
    Don't most Olympic athletes have to watch their diet, and live a very sacrificed life to achieve their goals? I also don't think she is the first or last athlete to "endure" a stress fracture; it almost sounds like she is blaming the fracture on the Karyolis.

She said the Karolyis showed "very little compassion" when she was injured and told a story of having an aunt smuggle her candy, mints and gum into the practice gym by hiding them in a teddy bear.
    Yeah, because candy is an essential part of a healthy diet...

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Don't most Olympic athletes have to watch their diet, and live a very sacrificed life to achieve their goals? I also don't think she is the first or last athlete to "endure" a stress fracture; it almost sounds like she is blaming the fracture on the Karyolis.
    Yeah, because candy is an essential part of a healthy diet...

Candy was probably all that would fit in the bear, and it doesn't rot like fruit.

The Karolyi's are scumbags, and everybody in USA gymnastics knows it. Moceanu wasn't the first to speak up, just the first to get press outside the gymnastics world.

Read what they did to Kim Kelly in 1992 at the Olympic trials.......Jamie Dantzscher criticized him to the NY Times back in 2000, Nadia has spoken out about him, Jennifer Sey, Kristie Phillips, Amy Jackson, Chelle Stack, Erika Stokes....Mary Lou Retton spoke about how his playing to the camera bear hugs always came with some nasty words in the ear.

I did 2 summer camps with Karolyi in 1982 and 1983.....6 weeks of training with him and Marta, we were not abused, but of course his summer camp girls weren't subject to what his year round girls were. We were members of another team, just there for intensive clinics.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    He's right, but he's also an abusive ass. The sooner the Karyoli reign of terror ends in US gymnastics, the better. It's not like either one of them coached any of these girls anyway, but Marta is only too happy to take the credit. I think the only person who has had the guts to open up about them is Dominique Moceanu.
    I so totally disagree.

Marta is gymnastics, Bela is her cheerleader. He loves the lime light she loves the sport. Everyone thinks he's Mr.Gymnastics but really it's Marta.

Before Bela and his crew came to the US our gymnastics couln't compete, he came out with Nadia and blew everyone else out of the water. When you think of gymnastics you think of Karyoli. Dominique Moceanu's parents own a gym that isn't doing as well as Karyoli's so she's running her mouth. Jamie Dancer was a ungrateful snot.

If the Karyoli's quit tomorrow they don't owe us squat, they've made us the team to beat.

Bela still beams when he says Nadia and Mary Lou's name.

as with any sport as a parent you have to "be there" most parents dump their kid and run. I've known two sexual predatiors who were head coaches, coaches who nagged at girls so much they became anexoric.

well thats my two cents

I hope if the Chinese are guilty they loose their medals for cheating and if any other country does the same thing encluding the US I think the same thing should happen.

KD
    Elite Member

Apperantly the IOC is actually going to investigate the age thing!! YAY!!!

I hope they get their medals yanked for cheating. I feel bad for the "little babies," they are only doing as they are told. They can come back and compete in the next Olympics, when they are old enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I so totally disagree.

Marta is gymnastics, Bela is her cheerleader. He loves the lime light she loves the sport. Everyone thinks he's Mr.Gymnastics but really it's Marta.

Before Bela and his crew came to the US our gymnastics couln't compete, he came out with Nadia and blew everyone else out of the water. When you think of gymnastics you think of Karyoli. Dominique Moceanu's parents own a gym that isn't doing as well as Karyoli's so she's running her mouth. Jamie Dancer was a ungrateful snot.

If the Karyoli's quit tomorrow they don't owe us squat, they've made us the team to beat.

as with any sport as a parent you have to "be there" most parents dump their kid and run. I've known two sexual predatiors who were head coaches, coaches who nagged at girls so much they became anexoric.

well thats my two cents

I hope if the Chinese are guilty they loose their medals for cheating and if any other country does the same thing encluding the US I think the same thing should happen.

Ok here's my two cents

We couldn't compete because no one could compete with the Soviet/Eastern Bloc machine at the time. It was a completely different training set up than the US had, and it was very similar to what the Chinese have now. Gymnastics also was not a very popular sport here in the US until after the 1984 games. I was an elite gymnast from 1980-1985, and we used to get like 2 meets a year on TV.

Even in 1976, he had Nadia and Teodora, but the USSR still won the team medal at the Olympics. They also won in 1980- both AA gold, and team, and 1984 was a joke in the gymnastics world as hardly any strong teams showed up at the Olympics. They all went to Olomouc instead. The US standings at the 1983 and 1985 Worlds were shit, which proved the 1984 Olympic results were due to lack of real competition.

Bela and Marta did not coach any of the girls that were at this olympics, they all came out of other gyms. I don't know if you're an ex-gymnast, but what I mean is these girls did all their years of training with other coaches, and Marta is coach of the Olympic team, which is only put together shortly before the games, and they work out for a few weeks with Marta.

In the gymnastics world, it's not the team medal that matters anyway, it's the individual AA. Even in 1996 when USA got the gold, our highest finisher in AA was 8th place.

The Karolyi's haven't coached an Olympic AA champ since Mary Lou in 1984, 24 years ago and they haven't coached a World champ since Zmeskal in 1991.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I so totally disagree.

well thats my two cents

ITA with your post. I'm glad they Karolis defected here. The man seems to love this sport more than anything and enjoys watching the US win. I hope they continue to be associated with this sport for many years to come.

New developments in cheating scandal

Epoch Times - IOC Wants Gymnasts' Ages Investigated
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Uh-oh....watch for these girls' families to conveniently disappear while officials who weren't quite competent enough to pull this off are summarily executed in back alleys...
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Hit By Ban Bus!

witchcurlgirl - I am the person who collected callouses on my butt while watching my daughter compete from age 4 (at little in house competitions) to age 15 when she competed level 10 and elite. Believe it or not she became a coach (trains elite level) and also a judge. She's been a coach for 18 years now. She met Bela at a TOPS training program and spent the week training with him. She said he's a big teddy bear. She also said Marta was the serious person in that family.

Bela may or may not be Mr.Nice Guy but in America he changed the way we felt about it and we also stopped thinking "we are never going to beat the Russians"

--------

wow it's on AOL now, they are going to look into the age of the gymnast - that would certainly change a lot of things.

side bar - cheating? 4 horses tested positive for banned substances and were kicked out of the competition.. who would have thought horses would go to such measures? However it ticks me off that the horses were given drugs..... grrr

Gold Member

I so totally disagree.

well thats my two cents

I don't disagree that the Karyolis have done wonders for US gymnastics. However, the stories of abuse are rife and I think there's at least some truth to them. I think it's possible to produce great athletes without physical or emotional abuse. YMMV.

I hate that I love gymnastics but can't get myself to stay up to damn 1AM to watch it. The Olympics time slot is so confusing

witchcurlgirl - I am the person who collected callouses on my butt while watching my daughter compete from age 4 (at little in house competitions) to age 15 when she competed level 10 and elite. Believe it or not she became a coach (trains elite level) and also a judge. She's been a coach for 18 years now. She met Bela at a TOPS training program and spent the week training with him. She said he's a big teddy bear. She also said Marta was the serious person in that family.

Bela may or may not be Mr.Nice Guy but in America he changed the way we felt about it and we also stopped thinking "we are never going to beat the Russians"
    Did you get rips on your butt? (inside gymnastics joke that I'm sure you understand)

But the truth is we never did beat the Soviet machine, Bela or no Bela.

The machine came to an end in 1988 more or less, and we never beat the USSR as a team or for an alll around while the USSR was still in existence. Only after the fall of the USSR, when it had been broken up into separate countries and no longer was funded by the state did we begin to perform on that level. Our first Olympic AA champ was Shannon Miller- who was not coached by the Karolyi's.

You mentioned your daughter was fortunate enough to train with them for 1 week.....I was able to train with them for 12 weeks over two years and as I said I was not abused.

Both your daughter and I have not had the day in day out training experience of working with Bela that the girls that have complained have had.

And for me personally, I will never, ever forgive the Karolyi's for what they did to Kim Kelly who was a Parkette after me.

Hit By Ban Bus!

witchcurlgirl;-Did you get rips on your butt? (inside gymnastics joke that I'm sure you understand) No I just used some Preperation H on it

But the truth is we never did beat the Soviet machine, Bela or no Bela. Yes but we didn't get a stay at home notice either

The machine came to an end in 1988 more or less, and we never beat the USSR as a team or for an alll around while the USSR was still in existence. Only after the fall of the USSR, when it had been broken up into separate countries and no longer was funded by the state did we begin to perform on that level. Our first Olympic AA champ was Shannon Miller- who was not coached by the Karolyi's.
    BTW have you seen Shannon Miller? Note to self - never marry a plastic surgeon ackkk My comment is and was Bela gave Americans the elated feeling that we could compete with the big guns. The average person could not tell you who the past olympican gymnasts were (except Mary Lou or Kerry Skrug (sp)) or their coaches but they all know Bela.

You mentioned your daughter was fortunate enough to train with them for 1 week.....I was able to train with them for 12 weeks over two years and as I said I was not abused. you win

Both your daughter and I have not had the day in day out training experience of working with Bela that the girls that have complained have had. no she knows him as coach/coach not gymnast to coach. Although her girls love her, their parents rant at her constantly - your to hard, my daughter is crying blah blah blah until it's meet time and then suddenly the parents are buying her gifts and loving her. She wears a tee-shirt "if football was any harder it would be gymnastics"

And for me personally, I will never, ever forgive the Karolyi's for what they did to Kim Kelly who was a Parkette after me.
    Parkette? Did I miss that somewhere? Pennsylvania Parkettes? Mandy went to the Richmond Olympiad for a few years and did a camp at Parkettes. Like I said gymnastics isn't for sissies and I applaud the parents that can deal with the cost, travel and medical problems the sport brings and I applaud the gymnasts who get in the car and go train everyday when they could be with their friends - the deal was "if you ever want to give it up just don't be in the car when it's time to go" She was always in the car. Meals in the car, homework in the car, dressing in the car. No social skills what so ever which is why she is also a full time cop now - and coaches full time too.

The mess with calling out the Chinese for their underaged gymnast is going to get ugly or swept under the carpet.

No I just used some Preperation H on it
    too bad they don't make grips for our butts

Weirdly, any sort of use of my hands manually is enough to bring my old calluses right back out

BTW have you seen Shannon Miller? Note to self - never marry a plastic surgeon ackkk My comment is and was Bela gave Americans the elated feeling that we could compete with the big guns. The average person could not tell you who the past olympican gymnasts were (except Mary Lou or Kerry Skrug (sp)) or their coaches but they all know Bela.
    I have seen her, her face is unrecognizable. I understand what you mean about bela, and they absolutely helped popularize the sport here in the US. In the old days gyms were few and far between and TV coverage was minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapeach View Post
    no she knows him as coach/coach not gymnast to coach. Although her girls love her, their parents rant at her constantly - your to hard, my daughter is crying blah blah blah until it's meet time and then suddenly the parents are buying her gifts and loving her. She wears a tee-shirt "if football was any harder it would be gymnastics"
    I understand, I remember difficult parents from my competing days. Gymnastics does attract it's share of stage moms/dads

Quote Originally Posted by Gapeach View Post
    Parkette? Did I miss that somewhere? Pennsylvania Parkettes? Mandy went to the Richmond Olympiad for a few years and did a camp at Parkettes. Like I said gymnastics isn't for sissies and I applaud the parents that can deal with the cost, travel and medical problems the sport brings and I applaud the gymnasts who get in the car and go train everyday when they could be with their friends - the deal was "if you ever want to give it up just don't be in the car when it's time to go" She was always in the car. Meals in the car, homework in the car, dressing in the car. No social skills what so ever which is why she is also a full time cop now - and coaches full time too.
    Yes, I was one of Allentowns finest from 1983-1985. It was a good gym, Bill and Donna weren't easy coaches either, but they were good people. Your daughter must have been there not too long after me. I had trained with the Grossfeld's earlier, and they sent me to the Strauss' gym. I remember Richmond Olympiad, we used to see them at Mid-Atlantic Invitational. I'm so old that I was before Level 10 though, I'm from the Class IV-Elite era.

I think it's awesome that your daughter is still involved and coaching, I coached a bit while I was in college, I loved it. It's such a beautiful sport.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information