Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women's gymnastics - spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    It was pretty clear those girls were not 16. But-nothing to be done! Silver isn't bad at all!
    Wow, I had never heard of the altering passports scandal but it was obvious to me that they were young. They all looked around 8 yrs old. The commentator was talking about the Chinese govt picks these girls out of daycares and gyms at 3 yrs and turn them into machines. They don't even have to compete, it's all done by selection. (didn't see Laurent already said this)

You're right Silver isn't bad at all. Plus we're we like 2 competitors down from the injuries in the pre-lims?

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Get off her back. If they thought she sucked then they wouldn't have put her on the event.
    The commentator said that had it not been for the injuries by the other two, Alicia wouldn't have been competing in the beam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

The commentator said that had it not been for the injuries by the other two, Alicia wouldn't have been competing in the beam.[/quote]

True they were bitten by the injury bug. I guess if you look at it like that then she was kind of forced into the situation. She wasn't one of the top choices but she was the "next" choice so she did her best...just not world class in that event. I'm still proud of her and the teams accomplisments
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    And Laurent, I doubt you would have gotten mad at her, had you been on the team. Because you would have gotten to know her and you would have seen how upset she was that she screwed up. She didnt do it on purpose.
    I think you're right - or I hope so. The flash of anger and disappointment in that moment would've probably been overwhelming, though. I know my own personal flaws, and honestly, I don't know how much grace I could've shown.

Yeah, she fucked up, and it happens to everyone. I'm sure no one blames her more than she blames herself and she'll be reliving that moment forever.

C'est la Vie.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Below is a column from USA Today:

According to reporting from U.S. news organizations, half of China's six-member women's gymnastics team that won the gold medal today was not old enough to be competing in the event. The rules say competitors have to turn 16 in the Olympic year to be eligible for the Games, meaning they have to have been born in 1992 or earlier.

This is where China's math and the rest of the world's math diverge. Yang Yilin, a medal contender in the all-around, was born Aug. 26, 1993, according to the official 2004, 2005 and 2006 national registration lists previously posted on the General Administration of Sport of China website, the Associated Press has reported. That means Yang is still 14, with her 15th birthday approaching.
    But, interestingly enough, on the 2007 registration list, her birthday became Aug. 26, 1992.

How about He Kexin, a medal favorite on uneven bars? In articles and registration lists from 2005, 2006 and 2007, found by The New York Times and the Associated Press, she was born Jan. 1, 1994. Oh-oh.
    But her Chinese passport says she was born Jan. 1, 1992. (Doesn't this happen with aging Hollywood actresses, only in reverse?)
    And Jiang Yuyuan, another pillar of China's team? A list of competitors at a 2007 provincial competition listed an Oct. 1, 1993, birth date.

The passport? No problem. Nov. 1, 1991.

No matter how significant the other evidence, those passports, issued by the Chinese government, trump all. "The International Gymnastics Federation strictly verified their passports and confirmed that their ages met the age rules for participating in the world championship, World Cup and Olympics," the Chinese Gymnastics Association said in a statement.

It's good to know that the International Gymnastics Federation, known as FIG, is on the case. That's a group we last paid attention to when it totally mismanaged the Paul Hamm gold medal controversy at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Meanwhile, where's the International Olympic Committee in this mess? Long since having washed its hands of it, that's where, deferring all decisions to FIG. It has been said many times before, but it's always worth repeating: The last amateurs left in the Olympic world are the people running it.

It's possible some of the confusion over the gymnasts' ages has occurred because of the Chinese tradition, still in practice in the southern part of the nation in particular, that children are considered age 1 at birth. It's more likely that the Chinese know their physics: The tinier the body, the better it spins and twists and flies through the air. Just like in figure skating, puberty is the enemy.
    Nowhere was that more evident than on the uneven bars today. The three underage Chinese dominated the Americans on that event, moving from a half-point deficit to more than a one-point advantage. Ah, the benefits of youth.

Elite Member

I saw a picture of the Chinese women's gymnastics team and honest to goodness, I think one of the girls was missing her baby teeth. No way she was more than 9 years old. That team made Shawn Johnson look like she was hitting 30.

I do think the age thing is bullshit, and I'm a little annoyed that the IOC doesn't call them on it.

It was so hard to watch last night and I felt so bad for her even though I was upset we handed the gold over to the Chinese. I agree no way these girls are 16 or over and I also agree that it seemed that the scoring was a bit off for everyone except the Chinese. I'm very proud they are bringing home a silver though! Congrats girls!

You know, our girls did their best and are only human, which means they can make mistakes. At least they won honestly, without cheating. And at least they are doing something they chose to do, rather than something they were forced into at the age of 3 with no say in their future.

We have to stop saying they lost the gold - actually they won the silver.

Karolyis' sour grapes makes bad whine - Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

BEIJING – Marta Karolyi kept staring over at these tiny Chinese opponents, their faces caked in makeup, and the disgust would rise within her.
    “Little babies,” she kept telling her team in the middle of the Olympic women’s gymnastics team final. “Oh, look at the little babies.”
    The Americans would laugh about it, laugh at their coach bashing their opponents.
    But for Marta, the U.S. national team coordinator, and her husband Bela, the NBC commentator, this was no joke. The Chinese had figured out how to upset their gymnastics dynasty, churning out these little athletic machines, perhaps so young they couldn’t even sense the pressure of the moment.
    The Karolyis couldn’t handle the results on Wednesday, a precise Chinese team, powered by three girls under suspicion for being just 14 years old, blowing out a stumbling crew of Americans. Courtesy of a 188.9-186.525 score, China took gold to the Americans’ silver.

What kills the Karolyis isn’t that the Chinese would risk the health of their children by throwing them out here before their bones and muscles mature. It’s that the Americans won’t allow the Karolyis to do it, too.
    This isn’t a morality play here. In truth, no matter Marta and Bela’s bleating, no one knows how old the Chinese girls were. This was a myopic focus of the Karolyis on someone outfoxing them.

Win or lose, they have to be the center of attention – from carrying Kerri Strug around for the cameras in Atlanta, to carrying on and on here in Beijing. It feeds their machine, increases their power in USA Gymnastics and convinces another generation of parents that they alone are best to make their tumbling daughter’s dream come true.
    “One little girl has (a) missing tooth,” Marta sniffed with indignation at the Chinese, although she would offer no name and admit she “has no proof” of anything.
    Later she’d claim, without any substance and lacking facts, that Olympic judges delayed Alicia Sacramone from starting her beam routine in an effort to shake her concentration.
    “There was no reason for it,” she said.

Marta had all sorts of conspiracies going, a bushel of sour grapes.

American media accounts have alleged, citing birthdates on old documents, that China was using gymnasts under the mandated age of 16. The Chinese produced passports that showed the girls were old enough, the International Olympic Committee accepted them and everyone says the issue is closed.
    Not with the Karolyis it isn’t. Earlier this week, Bela declared the Chinese were using “half people” and hammered them for cheating and arrogance. During the NBC broadcast of Wednesday’s competition, at least three times he reasserted the charge.
    Marta was no less diplomatic. Her team had crumbled under the pressure, made mistake after mistake after mistake and, to their credit, took the result with dignity.
    “They had a great meet,” Shawn Johnson said. “They deserve that medal.”
    Marta would have none of it. For whatever faint praise she would offer the Chinese, there were wild accusations of delay conspiracies and cheat birthdays to put smaller, more nimble girls in the competition.
    For each acknowledgement of her team’s own foibles, she stood in the middle of the media backstage swinging around, tossing out bombs, seeking more questions so she could offer more fuel to the fire.
    “So much talk about this,” she said.
    Even in the unlikely event everything Marta could dream up was true, even if the Americans had just been on the wrong end of this historic cheating, it was neither the time nor the place for pouting. Not after all the falls and stumbles.

Yet she kept claiming it was “a close fight.” It wasn’t.
    This was all a losers’ lament, an embarrassment. The U.S. had no credibility left. The gymnasts understood that. They rightly accepted the blame for only winning silver with a team that is beyond reproach.
    The Karolyis couldn’t just lose with dignity. They couldn’t accept their gymnasts’ best. They look across the way and lust over a system that might allow them to trot out a 4-foot-6, 68-pounder who bends and flips with ease. Bela coached Nadia Comaneci to seven perfect 10s in the 1976 Olympics. She was 14.
    With glory like that, who would remember all the other little girls who were injured? Who would care?
    This was a nightmare for Marta. She had to watch Sacramone, a 20-year-old woman, crumble under the pressure and stumble off a beam. Meanwhile, the Chinese kept sticking their landings.
    “Little babies,” she barked.

It was too much to bear. The little babies had gotten her. The little babies were driving her and her husband nuts.
    The little babies were winning gold.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Alicia lives about 10 miles away from here...she made the team and had a bad performance...it happens. Get off her back. If they thought she sucked then they wouldn't have put her on the event. OBVIOUSLY the team thought that she was one of the 3 best for them. It wasn't on purpose but it sucks. No one ever tries to screw up and lose....unless your name is Manny Ramirez! lol
    I agree. She fucked up for sure, but she's human and no amount of griping or sniping at her is going to change it. She seems like a sweet girl and she seems so utterly crushed by what happened, I can't really be mad at her. I was annoyed last night, but that's all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    You know, our girls did their best and are only human, which means they can make mistakes. At least they won honestly, without cheating.

Word.
    Last edited by Tati; August 19th, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

The silver medal was won with honor and is just beautiful. There is no disgrace in this-anyone can have a bad day,I hope everyone treats her with the respect she earned.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I feel so for Alicia. I am proud of our team.

The way I look at it..they all did great. Yes, she made a mistake, but she actually took the steps and chances in life to get to a place to make them. She did her best!

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    You know, our girls did their best and are only human, which means they can make mistakes. At least they won honestly, without cheating. And at least they are doing something they chose to do, rather than something they were forced into at the age of 3 with no say in their future.

We have to stop saying they lost the gold - actually they won the silver.
    I agree with you 100%...Even with the USA teams mistakes, China still had to cheat to beat them!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Later she’d claim, without any substance and lacking facts, that Olympic judges delayed Alicia Sacramone from starting her beam routine in an effort to shake her concentration.
    “There was no reason for it,” she said.
    When they interviewed the women's team on the Today show the following morning, Alicia Sacramone did say it was unusual that she had to wait so long, and nerve-wracking. They announced her name, but then her name wasn't on the board for whatever reason, and she couldn't start her routine until her name was on the board.

Can't wait for tonight!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information