Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Womens Gymnastics - Olympic Team

I miss the days of the Soviets. I love watching these past performances, they are amazing.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

How ironic, one of my friends from the gymnastic board posted that video, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Oksana Chusovitina will compete in London- her 6th Olympics, at the ancient age of 37. She was the oldest gymnast to ever win an Olympic medal, at the games in 2008.

[YOUTUBE]bwM_m83rCiI[/YOUTUBE]
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

This isn't strictly related to gymnastics as a sport, but I thought I'd put it here anyway rather than making a separate thread.

Dominique Moceanu Reveals She Has a Secret Sister

Friday June 08, 2012 11:25 AM EDT

Dominique Moceanu then (left) and now
    Doug Pensinger/Allsport/AP; Courtesy of Achille Bigliardi

Just before she became a mother, Dominique Moceanu learned a shocking family secret: she had a sister whom she'd never met.

"It was the biggest bombshell of my life," the Olympian tells 20/20 in an interview set to air Friday night. "I had this sister that was born who was given up for adoption, and I never knew it."

Estranged from her parents Dmitry and Camelia after becoming legally emancipated in 1998, the family later reconciled and Dmitry walked Moceanu down the aisle at her 2006 wedding to Michael Canales, a doctor and fellow gymnast.

But it was when her father was sick with cancer in 2008 that a then-pregnant Moceanu got the surprise news.

She received a package with a letter and photos of a young woman who resembled her younger sister, Christina, she tells 20/20.

According to the 20/20 interview, the gymnast confronted her parents – who then told her the baby was born the day after her sixth birthday. The child would require expensive medical care and, since the family was poor and couldn't afford it, they gave her up for adoption.

Another Shocker

Moceanu, who recounts the story in her upcoming memoir Off Balance, has since reached out to her sister, who confirmed their relation – and also clarified her health situation: she had no legs.

According to Moceanu, she explained, "'People forget that within minutes of meeting me.' "

The sisters have met and subsequently developed a real bond and have enjoyed discovering their similarities. "The tones in our voices, our handwriting, the way we laugh and chuckle. It's mind-blowing," Moceanu says.

Moceanu and her husband now live in Cleveland with their daughter Carmen, 4, and son Vincent, 3.
    Dominique Moceanu Secret Sister: Olympian Shares a Family Secret : People.com
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

looks just like her.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Dominique (left) and her secret sister Jen Bricker.

What did everyone think of Night 1 of trials? I was most impressed with Elizabeth Price. She's definitely a dark horse. I had her pegged as a possible alternate, but I think she might just surprise everyone and get a spot on the team. She lacks the international experience, but she's performing better than the "stars" under pressure. Just based on what I saw last night, I think that it's a possibility that Elizabeth might go instead of McKayla. McKayla has that Amanar, but she tanked beam and bars. Even on her Amanar, she took a huge step. Elizabeth has a good Amanar. Not as great as McKayla's but definitely usable and dependable. And she hit on every other apparatus. She's a strong AA, and McKayla is a one, MAYBE two, event gymnast.

I laughed out loud when Nastia tanked her bar routine. She should not even be at trials. She showed us at Visas and last night that she can't complete a bar routine. I think Marta has done everything she can to try to give Nastia a spot on that team, but Nastia has to meet her halfway, and she's not. After what she did last night, I don't see how Marta can possibly justify carrying her through to London, even as an alternate.

My heart broke for Rebecca Bross. I think her best chance now is as an alternate, and even that's questionable. I wish Valeri would take the Patterson out of her beam routine. It reminds me of Vanessa Atler with the Comaneci salto - every now and then she'll surprise everyone and hit it, but 90% of the time, she can't do it. I think at some point, you have to acknowledge that this is a skill you can't consistently do and take it out. Play around with her routine and find a way to make up the DOD points that it adds.

Kyla (my favorite) had a great bars routine, and was solid on beam, but I wish that she would upgrade her floor, and I was disappointed with her vault. I hope she really hits on Sunday.

I liked Sarah Finnegan's beam mount, but other than that, I wasn't overly impressed with her and I thought she was overscored. I just couldn't help but feel that both she and Vega are not ready for the Olympics. As I was watching, I thought that they would be eaten alive in London, and I wouldn't be comfortable having to depend on one of them. I think that Alicia Sacramone is going to be an alternate for sure, possibly even a member of the team but I doubt it.

Wieber was good and so was Raisman, but Raisman's form is going to be a problem in London. That's something that they can hopefully clean up at TC though.

As of last night, I am thinking the team is going to be:

Wieber
    Raisman
    Ross
    Douglas
    Price
    Alternates: Sacramone, Maroney, Finnegan

I was glued to my TV! I though Gabby Douglas was super & loved he floor routine.
    Can;t wait to see who goes.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I was going to stream it until I realized you have to have a cable subscription to view the online broadcast. I suppose I need to borrow my mom's between now and Olympics time...

Anybody know where I can view a rebroadcast online or at least see the highlights?

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I was going to stream it until I realized you have to have a cable subscription to view the online broadcast. I suppose I need to borrow my mom's between now and Olympics time...

Anybody know where I can view a rebroadcast online or at least see the highlights?
    Here is a link to some video highlights. 2012 Day 1 Trials Highlights

Here is where you can see the official results, photos, and more info: Wieber Posts Top All-Around Score

Elite Member

Thanks!

I watched Nastia's bar routine and have a question for the gymnasts - they kept talking about endurance being her downfall. Don't they practice for several hours a day? How is a 2 minute routine more taxing to her endurance than that? I'm not criticizing because I sure as hell couldn't do it, but it's not something I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Thanks!

I watched Nastia's bar routine and have a question for the gymnasts - they kept talking about endurance being her downfall. Don't they practice for several hours a day? How is a 2 minute routine more taxing to her endurance than that? I'm not criticizing because I sure as hell couldn't do it, but it's not something I understand.
    The routines, especially bars, require significant strength when done correctly. It's not the kind of thing you can just do if you're out of practice. Your body has to be used to it and completely prepared. It's not so much the length of the routine as the muscles you have to use for each movement and the sheer effort that is needed to complete and connect each movement. This is the kind of thing you get used to over time, after doing it over and over again for months or even years. Your muscles remember how to do it and it becomes less taxing and comes more naturally to you. Nastia didn't start seriously training again until a few months before trials, and her body hasn't had time to get back into gymnast shape. She doesn't have the strength to be able to hit her routines and make the connections, so it's exhausting for her.

Elite Member

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Just Announced:

Team: Gabby Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, Kyla Ross, McKayla Maroney.
    Alternates: Elizabeth Price, Sarah Finnegan, Anna Li

I think McKayla Maroney was given that last spot by the skin of her teeth. She better hit in London. If we're going to give one of only five spots to a one-event gymnast, I expect that one event to be perfect.

Rebecca Bross was PAINFUL to watch tonight. That bars routine had me concerned that she was really going to hurt herself badly. She's only 18, but I think she - and especially that knee - are done.

And on a purely superficial note, McKayla Maroney's nose is very distracting.
    southernbelle likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I know... my heart broke for Rebecca Bross. That was really unfortunate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information