Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Womens Gymnastics - Olympic Team

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Who was the one that hurt her leg and still did a jump?

Are you talking about Kerri Strug in the Atlanta games?
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Seabiscuit, lol. Keri Strug.

This is the saddest story in gymnastics. Elena Mukhina. 1978 World AA Champion, she broke her neck two weeks before the 1980 Olympics, becoming a quadriplegic. She died from related complications in 2006. The move that she was injured practicising- a Thomas salto- was banned for women in competition after her accident, and is still banned today:

[YOUTUBE]BAVXVYZUXe4[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 5th, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Damn that is horrible.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Are you talking about Kerri Strug in the Atlanta games?

I think so. Did she hurt her leg and did a vault anyway?

She sure did!

I love Mustafina, she a goddess. Love her attitude. I was crushed when she injured her knee, but if anyone can come back from it she can. Her bars look amazing. Komova is lovely and I adore her light gymnastics, but I adore the big personality of Musty.

For the Americans, I'm loving Gabby Douglas. Jordyn is consistent but blah. I don't like overly muscular gymnasts like Jordyn, I'm a sucker for the balletic look. I will say Jordyn's floor routine works for her SO well, it brings out some semblance of artistry. I hope she doesn't win AA in London. I'm pulling for one of the Russians or Gabby.

The beam fascinates and terrifies me in equal measures...don't think I could even walk along it without falling, the feats those girls do are just mind boggling.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slushie View Post
    I have to admit that I've never been too excited about the American gymnasts. The only one who vaguely caught my attention . Nastia Liukin and even then I thought Pavlova was more elegant.
    I feel the same. American gymnasts don't interest me much. I miss the Russians and Eastern European greats, their footwork, their transitions, so much elegance. A batch of identical tiny tumblers, year after year, doesn't cast the same spell.

I enjoy mens gymnastics much more.

ETA: Looked up this Thomas Salto move on YouTube. JFC! No wonder it was banned. Shushunova's successful Saltos put my stomach in knots. That's crazy. Men probably shouldn't be doing it either.
    Last edited by olivia; April 5th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    This is the saddest story in gymnastics. Elena Mukhina. 1978 World AA Champion, she broke her neck two weeks before the 1980 Olympics, becoming a quadriplegic. She died from related complications in 2006. The move that she was injured practicising- a Thomas salto- was banned for women in competition after her accident, and is still banned today

For anyone curious, I think the following vid contains a Thomas Salto about 0:09 seconds in - it's when she lands headfirst/shoulders after the the somersaults:

Elena Shushunova's 1987 Euros FX
    [YOUTUBE]YIcuv0wYXxk[/YOUTUBE]
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Yes, at the end of the first tumbling run. Shushunova also has her own similar salto named after her ( and a few other moves as well), it's like the Thomas but the legs are straddled and piked. All roll out saltos are now banned for women since 2000 (but not men), if you roll out too early or land too hard you can damage the spinal cord. Like Mukhina.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 6th, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Yes, at the end of the first tumbling run. Shushunova also has her own similar salto named after her ( and a few other moves as well), it's like the Thomas but the legs are straddled and piked. All roll out saltos are now banned for women since 2000 (but not men), if you roll out too early or land too hard you can damage the spinal cord. Like Mukhina.
    Was that the move that paralyzed Mukhina?

Way back, I had a coworker who had been a hard-core gymnast. I'm not sure exactly what she had done to her knees, but she had some pretty major scars from arthroscopic surgery to correct damage to them. That's not very common, though, is it?

I love gymnastics! For the longest time I wanted to be one, and I still do, but I'm way beyond age to even start trying lol. Hmm... But I guess I'm not that much of a fan to keep track of names, I just love watching it. Back then I used to, like I loved Lisa Skinner, and her Middle Eastern themed routines.

Lisa Skinner - 2000 Olympics AA - Floor Exercise - YouTube

But I am more into Rhythmic gymnastics, than artistic. Is anybody the same?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Was that the move that paralyzed Mukhina?

Yes. She was practising, recovering from a broken leg and was tired. There's a documentary about her and in it she says that it was inevitable, due to the conditions she trained under.

She was a brilliant athlete. Very innovative, and at a high level of difficulty for her era. Here she is doing her variation on a Korbut back on UB (when she stands up on the high bar), she added the full twist. This move is now banned as well

[YOUTUBE]T34bg5fZmqE[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 6th, 2012 at 09:10 AM.

She was a brilliant athlete. Very innovative, and at a high level of difficulty for her era. Here she is doing her variation on a Korbut back on UB, she added the full twist. This move is now banned as well
    Great landing. I had to play it back a couple of times just to see the full twist - it happens so fast and so effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by electrocuted_sheep View Post
    . Back then I used to, like I loved Lisa Skinner, and her Middle Eastern themed routines.

Lisa Skinner - 2000 Olympics AA - Floor Exercise
    [YOUTUBE]LcwIvF1U5bk[/YOUTUBE]

But I am more into Rhythmic gymnastics, than artistic. Is anybody the same?
    I love rhythmic gymnastics too - especially ribbon and the ball. Lisa Skinner is an awesome Aussie gymnast.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information