Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Wimbledon 2015

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    It's pretty amazing. Serena is almost 34 and she is probably going to win the seasonal grand slam. I know the women's field is rather weak right now. But seriously, is it as weak as it looks? She's toying with people. I honestly think she isn't going as hard in the first sets this year. She seems to kick it into gear afterwards tho.

Lance Armstrong would be proud.

I also do not give a fuck what anyone thinks of what i'm saying.

None of it looks right. The drug testing in this sport is horrible.
    Nonsense. And to suggest Serena is pulling a Lance Armstrong is utter bullshit and I don't care what YOU may think of me saying that, either. Armstrong was practically a criminal, a mobster who threatened people in his own team and told them to do as he said or else. There's not a sincere cell in that asshat's body. Serena is a completely different species than Armstrong and his ilk. People just can't stand natural talent, natural physical response to a tough training schedule and genetics and from reading some comments on - for instance - Daily Fail, some people just don't like it that a black or African American woman has dominated women's tennis for such a long time already. Well a big middle finger to the lot of them, Serena rules and I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows she's a great athlete and deserved to win.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A*O

Ah yes, the race card. I was waiting for that. She's a gifted player and athlete. Period. Whether it's due to her natural athleticism and talent or whether she's had some pharmaceutical assistance along the way who knows. Tennis is a multi million $$$ sport like any other and I'm sure there are players who use drugs either recreationally or otherwise. She's always had a somewhat "masculine" physique and demeanour. I can understand why that raises questions.

I don't actually have a problem with drugs in sport. Let them all take whatever they like and may the best pharmacologist win!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Nonsense. And to suggest Serena is pulling a Lance Armstrong is utter bullshit and I don't care what YOU may think of me saying that, either. Armstrong was practically a criminal, a mobster who threatened people in his own team and told them to do as he said or else. There's not a sincere cell in that asshat's body. Serena is a completely different species than Armstrong and his ilk. People just can't stand natural talent, natural physical response to a tough training schedule and genetics and from reading some comments on - for instance - Daily Fail, some people just don't like it that a black or African American woman has dominated women's tennis for such a long time already. Well a big middle finger to the lot of them, Serena rules and I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows she's a great athlete and deserved to win.
    Bull fucking shit.

She is about to win the seasonal grand slam in the same year she is going to turn 34. All the while is currently serving harder than she ever has in her entire career. It's July and she's only lost one match all year long. WTF is that shit?

It has nothing to do with her being black. It has to do with her near perfect domination at an age where everyone is declining at some rate. Federer is a month older and he has been declining since 2012. While his decline hasn't been as bad as others, she seems to be doing the opposite. And doing it without much effort. Shit, all she has to do is use her power. There is more to her game than that, but she is so dominant she doesn't have to go all out. Unless of course she's facing Sharapova, who should just wave a white flag before their matches even start. haha

She has suffered from a pulmonary embolism. Which could be a side of effect of using EPO. Which can cause blood clots due to the thickening of the blood. She later had a hematoma on her stomach that grew to the size of a grapefruit. Yea, that sounds normal for a world class athlete that is clean of drugs that could damage their body. Tho the latter sounds like it might have been caused by an injection, rather than just from a drug.

Most top athletes are using something. That is the truth.

It takes tons of talent and very hard work to get to the top. Drugs can help them stay there for a hell of a lot longer tho.
    A*O and effie2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Ah yes, the race card. I was waiting for that. She's a gifted player and athlete. Period. Whether it's due to her natural athleticism and talent or whether she's had some pharmaceutical assistance along the way who knows. Tennis is a multi million $$$ sport like any other and I'm sure there are players who use drugs either recreationally or otherwise. She's always had a somewhat "masculine" physique and demeanour. I can understand why that raises questions.

I don't actually have a problem with drugs in sport. Let them all take whatever they like and may the best pharmacologist win!
    What's with "Ah yes, the race card" ? You should read some of the comments on her (mostly) and her sister Venus, some of them go as far as saying they shouldn't be allowed to play against women because they're men. There are plenty of derogatory comments on various sites/forums that are leaning towards racism. Some try to put a "comical" spin on it by adding emoticons and LOL's ("I didn't know they had rackets in the jungle" to which one replied they played tennis with coconuts which is how she developed her muscles) and the worst I read was Serena looked like a Gorilla and probably was as strong as one, too.

***** celeb

Gold Member

What's with "Ah yes, the race card" ? You should read some of the comments on her (mostly) and her sister Venus, some of them go as far as saying they shouldn't be allowed to play against women because they're men. There are plenty of derogatory comments on various sites/forums that are leaning towards racism. Some try to put a "comical" spin on it by adding emoticons and LOL's ("I didn't know they had rackets in the jungle" to which one replied they played tennis with coconuts which is how she developed her muscles) and the worst I read was Serena looked like a Gorilla and probably was as strong as one, too.

And none of that has anything to do with why I said what I said.

I'm not even going by how she looks. I'm going by how insane she is playing at her age.

Bull fucking shit.

She is about to win the seasonal grand slam in the same year she is going to turn 34. All the while is currently serving harder than she ever has in her entire career. It's July and she's only lost one match all year long. WTF is that shit?

It has nothing to do with her being black. It has to do with her near perfect domination at an age where everyone is declining at some rate. Federer is a month older and he has been declining since 2012. While his decline hasn't been as bad as others, she seems to be doing the opposite. And doing it without much effort. Shit, all she has to do is use her power. There is more to her game than that, but she is so dominant she doesn't have to go all out. Unless of course she's facing Sharapova, who should just wave a white flag before their matches even start. haha

She has suffered from a pulmonary embolism. Which could be a side of effect of using EPO. Which can cause blood clots due to the thickening of the blood. She later had a hematoma on her stomach that grew to the size of a grapefruit. Yea, that sounds normal for a world class athlete that is clean of drugs that could damage their body. Tho the latter sounds like it might have been caused by an injection, rather than just from a drug.

Most top athletes are using something. That is the truth.

It takes tons of talent and very hard work to get to the top. Drugs can help them stay there for a hell of a lot longer tho.
    And none of that has anything to do with why I said what I said.

I'm not even going by how she looks. I'm going by how insane she is playing at her age.
    Oh shut up and read. The only comment I made in DIRECT response to your post was in my first post about the Lance Armstrong thing. The other part of my reply was about comments on - amongst others - Daily Mail and wasn't even directed at or about your post. READ. My second post was again in reference to posts on other forums and sites (including Daily Mail).

***** celeb

In other news, I'll be there today woohoo!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Wow, enjoy the final!

I do think the blood clot thing could be suspicious but I also think Serena Williams has had ps on her body as well and it could be the result of a procedure. And no one has mentioned her mental attitude. She went off tennis for a while and didn't win anything. Part of her longevity is because she has made a comeback and has a new coach who has instilled PMA. You can actually read the players' faces on TV when they think they are going to win/not win/fight back etc. and it makes a huge difference, so not just physical force is important.
    HWBL likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Gold Member

Oh shut up and read. The only comment I made in DIRECT response to your post was in my first post about the Lance Armstrong thing. The other part of my reply was about comments on - amongst others - Daily Mail and wasn't even directed at or about your post. READ. My second post was again in reference to posts on other forums and sites (including Daily Mail).
    Most Serena fans bring up race anytime anyone makes a single critique about her.

You still brought it up, where there was no need to bring it up.

you guys, that murray-federer semi-final was fucking amazing, one for the history books. and i got to watch it in switzerland at my bestie's place while drinking a ridiculous bottle of wine to celebrate. vintage federer, he was flying. murray was amazing too but he never stood a chance. federer was untouchable. so nervous for the final today though.
    HWBL likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Most Serena fans bring up race anytime anyone makes a single critique about her.

You still brought it up, where there was no need to bring it up.
    I felt there was a point if only because (I am again speaking about those other forums/sites) the match was quite close for a while, yet when Serena won, some still found it necessary to question her gender and to suggest she owed her powers to race (or animal) related reasons. The Daily Mail doesn't moderate comments on all articles, just on some. They now have an article up on JK Rowling coming to Serena's defence against a troll:

Source: Daily Mail

Don't mess with JK Rowling! Enraged author issues withering riposte to Twitter troll for body-shaming Serena Williams...and it gets retweeted 650,000 times

• Serena Williams, 33, scooped her sixth Wimbledon win on Saturday
    • Troll said tennis star's success was down to fact she was 'built like a man'
    • Author JK Rowling, 49, responded by branding the troll an 'idiot' and posting an image of Serena looking curvaceous in a figure-hugging dress

JK Rowling already has form when it comes to putting people in their place on Twitter. She famously once advised someone they might want to buy a 'penis enlarger'.

So when a troll replied to a congratulatory tweet from Rowling to Serena Williams following her sixth Wimbledon win yesterday with a body-shaming comment, the Harry Potter writer didn't hold back.

The troll, who had attributed William's tennis success to her being 'built like a man', was quickly slammed down by 49-year-old Rowling, who branded them an 'idiot'.

Williams, 33, soared to victory on Saturday, beating Spain's Garbine Muguruza, 21, in the women's tennis final, and completing her 'Serena Slam' as holder of all four major tennis titles.

As messages of congratulations poured forth for the American world number 1, Rowling, who had tweeted excitable updates to her 4.92 million followers throughout the match, also took to Twitter to express her delight at the win.

The body-shaming tweet, sent by Rob, @diegtristan8, was not taken to kindly by Rowling, who replied in cutting fashion.

The author posted two images of 33-year-old Williams pictured posing for fans in a red figure-hugging knee-length dress.

In the images, the tennis star looks resplendent in the scarlet ensemble, paired with studded Louboutin platforms - which serves to show off her enviable figure.

Rowling proves her point and deflects the Twitter users comments along with the caption: '"she is built like a man". Yeah, my husband looks just like this in a dress. You're an idiot.'

The 49-year-old author's cutting and effective response has since been retweeted over 650,000 times and favourited 84,491 times.

And this isn't the first time that the Rowling has taken to social media in order to express her unfiltered opinions.

Back in May, the novelist, who is married to 44-year-old anaesthetist Neil Murray, humorously took to Twitter to share her shock over newly-released images of actor Matthew Lewis, 25, who played the timid character of Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter film franchise.

The actor has enjoyed a nerdy-to-hunky transformation which saw him take to the cover of Attitude magazine to debut his new look - in revealing white boxers, no less.

Rowling and Lewis' embarrassed Twitter exchange saw her jokingly reprimand him, saying ‘now go put some clothes on’.

Earlier in May, during a discussion on the British elections, the author was also victim of hateful Twitter abuse, which saw her labelled 'JK b****face'.

Rowling swiftly and humorously rebuked: 'The Internet doesn’t just offer opportunities for misogynistic abuse, you know. Penis enlargers can also be bought discreetly.'

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    you guys, that murray-federer semi-final was fucking amazing, one for the history books. and i got to watch it in switzerland at my bestie's place while drinking a ridiculous bottle of wine to celebrate. vintage federer, he was flying. murray was amazing too but he never stood a chance. federer was untouchable. so nervous for the final today though.
    Yeah, it was great, Federer is in top shape and he is 33 as well. I've heard most of the older players (Mac, Rodick, Henmen etc.) say Federer has never before been so good on all shots.
    He's just won the tie-break earning the second set so it's one all. Both he and Djokovic are playing stupendously brillant tennis today, although both have also had uncharacteristic misses.
    Last edited by HWBL; July 12th, 2015 at 10:21 AM.

***** celeb

Gold Member

Federer has had shades of brilliance. But they were overstating what he was doing. They were acting like his play against Murray was better than when he was in his prime. It was hyperbole at it's finest. He also hasn't played like it all year long, like Serena has.

Well, in the end Novak won because he was more consistent. It was a good final though.
    sputnik likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Well, in the end Novak won because he was more consistent. It was a good final though.
    Yeah, I posted right after they finished, but I don't see my post anymore. I'm glad Djokovic won, but wouldn't have minded if Federer had been the winner. He's a nice guy. Anybody but Murray, I guess

***** celeb

I like Murray and he's a great player. I like djoko too. But federer is a god even if he didn't win yesterday.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information