Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Wimbledon 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Slushie View Post
    I want to Bartoli win, just because everybody hates her.
    It's really something else.

Women’s Wimbledon Champion Marion Bartoli Deemed “Undeserving Ugly Fat Slut" By Sexists Because She’s Not A Tall Skinny Blonde

28 year old French tennis player Marion Bartoli is your 2013 Women’s Singles Wimbledon champion!
    That’s Bartoli there on your left. And I’m sure you can see the problem here. You don’t? Oh, that might be because you’re not a BIG SEXIST ASSHOLE. Because, if you were, you’d take one good look at the Wimbledon champ on the left there, then take one good look at the Tennis player next to her, Sabine Lisicki, whom she beat to win the title and realize “THE WIMBLEDON CHAMPION IS NOT A TALL SKINNY BLONDE MODEL LOOKING WOMEN! THIS CAN’T BE!!!!"

If you open the official Wimbledon rule book to page 13405 you’ll see that “Being an official ‘Wimbledon Babe’ in the eyes of Dan over on Twitter" is one of the official qualifications of winning Wimbledon."Oh, wait a fucking second. No, it isn’t
    YEAH, BARTOLI. Being the champion of your chosen sport is all about how hot you are and totally not about being the absolute best at said sport. GOD, BARTOLI, WIMBLEDON CHAMPION, LEARN HOW TO PLAY SOME GOD DAMN TENNIS
    Women playing sports is totally useless if said women are not pleasing to the eye. I mean, what’s the point of women playing sports if it isn’t to please the male spectators?Sadly, these aren’t the comments of a few misogynist shit bags. Hundreds and hundreds of tweets are attacking this girl because they don’t like how she LOOKS

May the best man win! May the most attractive women win!"
    I guess not too surprising to see this one from a dude who calls himself “London’s Stifler.""
    LOL! SHE"S SWEATING AFTER PLAYING SPORTS. WHO DOES THAT?!?!"
    haha! A “back to the kitchen" joke! So original! And oddly enough, though, probably the least offensive out of all the Bartoli attacks
    ."#whale"
    And if you’re a Tennis-watching sexist and the whole “fat slut" this and “ugly face" that started to get a bit boring to you while watching Wimbledon, then you could have apparently focused on Bartoli’s “erect nipples" during the match like seemingly hundreds did…
    Disgusting as it is objectifying any girl like this, would these dudes have had a problem with a braless Maria Sharapova running around the Tennis court? Or would they have been clamoring for her to take her top off too?Before you answer my clearly rhetorical questions, let these fine folks answer it for you…
    Oh, and those last few tweets reminded me! Some of these assholes don’t just think Bartoli is an ugly woman, possibly a “dyke-y" lesbian. Some are convinced that if a woman doesn’t fit society’s norms of what’s “hot" AND she is good at sports, well, then DUH! she has to be a MAN! And they’re cool with sexually assaulting her to prove it!
    Props to the Twitter account @EverydaySexism for pointing out what was going on. Below are some of the tweets they found
    :

Personally, I like how this dude felt he needed to @ REPLY TO HER, just to make sure she saw this horrible shit.

On the bright side, when asked about BBC commentator John Inverdale remarks on her "never going to be a looker" (yeah that’s right, she received this shit from the BBC too), Bartoli said:"It doesn’t matter, honestly. I am not blonde, yes. That is a fact. Have I dreamt about having a model contract? No. I’m sorry. But have I dreamed about winning Wimbledon? Absolutely, yes."And that’s one of the many actual reasons Marion Bartoli “deserves" to be Wimbledon Champion.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^In-ffing-credible! She's no beauty, but neither is Lisicki with her horse teeth. To many people out there blond automatically equals pretty/prettier. But that's not even the point. She played tennis better, had her nerves in check, kept her goal in sight and worked her butt off to achieve it, which she did. She was BETTER, period.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Those tweets are beyond vile. What a bunch of fuck faces those people are.

I also don't get the obsession with Sharapova or Lisicki. Neither one of them are what I'd call gorgeous. Tall, blonde, and thin does not a beautiful person make.

I think, from what I've seen, Lisicki is beautiful because of her attitude. She is usually so happy and smiley on court, and when she leaves she is gracious and signs a lot of autographs.

I actually think Bartoli is pretty. She's like a little ball of fury, and I don't like her constant fist pumping, but I think she has a very cute face. Not ugly in the slightest.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I think, from what I've seen, Lisicki is beautiful because of her attitude. She is usually so happy and smiley on court, and when she leaves she is gracious and signs a lot of autographs.

I actually think Bartoli is pretty. She's like a little ball of fury, and I don't like her constant fist pumping, but I think she has a very cute face. Not ugly in the slightest.
    I almost automatically find a woman who is really good at some sport attractive. But I also have a thing for Italian women1 with long, dark hair and who aren't thin. So, I like Bartoli and am appalled by the guys who have made these ridiculous comments.

1I know she's French, but the "Bartoli" in her name makes me think there is some Italian ancestry.
    levitt likes this.

Sorry for the random bump, but she's of Corsican ancestry if that's any help, Mohandas.

It's not really any help. It still makes her French.

Corsica has a lot of Italian influence/history attached to it.

What time does Sean Connery go to Wimbledon?

Tennish.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

corsica may belong to france, but they're not french, as they'd be the first to say.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Bartoli retired yesterday, in rather WTF news.

Quote Originally Posted by Slushie View Post
    Bartoli retired yesterday, in rather WTF news.
    Not so WTF: even before her Wimbledon win, she was often plagued by serious injuries. Source: BBC

Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli announces her retirement

Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli is retiring from tennis just 40 days after winning her only Grand Slam title.

The 28-year-old Frenchwoman, ranked seventh in the world, said she was taking the decision with immediate effect because of persistent injuries.

She made the tearful announcement at a media conference following defeat by Simona Halep at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati.

"It's time for me to retire and to call it a career," she told reporters.
    Most Grand Slam tournaments before first win

47 - Marion Bartoli (2013 Wimbledon)
    45 - Jana Novotna (1998 Wimbledon)
    39 - Francesca Schiavone (2010 French Open)
    34 - Sam Stosur (2011 US Open)
    32 - Amelie Mauresmo (2006 Australian Open)

"I feel it's time for me to walk away."

Bartoli, who beat Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the Wimbledon final in July, said her Achilles, shoulder, hip and lower back hurt continually when she plays.

She added: "It's never easy... but that was actually the last match of my career. I just can't do it anymore."

After her 6-1 6-4 win at Wimbledon, Bartoli hinted that the physical demands of the sport were taking their toll. "That was probably the last little bit of something that was left inside me," she said on Wednesday.

The 2007 Wimbledon runner-up had won her first Grand Slam at the 47th attempt - the longest wait in women's tennis before a maiden Grand Slam.

She had returned from her Wimbledon triumph to play in Toronto last week and was playing her first match in Cincinnati having received a first-round bye.

However, the 3-6 6-4 6-1 loss to Halep appears to have been the last straw.

"It's been a tough decision to take," she added. "I've been a tennis player for a long time and I had the chance to make my biggest dream a reality.

"You know, everyone will remember my Wimbledon title. No-one will remember the last match I played here.

"I made my dream a reality and it will stay forever with me, but now my body just can't cope with everything."

WTA chairman and chief executive Stacey Allaster paid tribute to Bartoli's "long, successful career".

"She is an inspirational champion and a great ambassador for women's tennis who has dedicated her life to the sport and given so much back to the game," she said.

"I am so proud of her for who she is, her values and for fighting to realise her dream of winning Wimbledon."

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information