Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Wimbledon 2013

  1. #46
    Bronze Member ApricotGlimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Boy, that was tough to watch as a Novak fan. He's looking less and less like the player of 2011, especially on big points.

  2. #47
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Exactly. Crowds used to be there for the game in the olden days. They'd cheer every good point and kept their traps shut after unforced errors.

    Where did I say that his face had anything to do with how he played tennis? Oh, yeah, that's right. Nowhere. I just mentioned it, as I will again: guy looks like a rodent. He played excellent tennis. Two separate sentences. Both true.
    The thing is, it's kind of strange lecturing a country on being good sports while calling the guy you rooted against a rodent. For sure, he's not a pretty boy, and neither is the female winner. Being the winner has nothing to do with attractiveness.

  3. #48
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The thing is, it's kind of strange lecturing a country on being good sports while calling the guy you rooted against a rodent. For sure, he's not a pretty boy, and neither is the female winner. Being the winner has nothing to do with attractiveness.
    First: I don't get your first sentence. Where did I lecture "a country"? And where did I do it in connection with the guy looking like a rodent? Nowhere. Crowds do not equal a country.
    Again: his looks have nothing to do with his ability at the game. For the third time: he looks like a rodent. He played excellent tennis. I never claimed these things had anything to do with each other. I don't remember having said anything about the female Wimbledon winner. I didn't and don't link looks with abilities, be it at tennis or any other field. I don't know who does make that connection. Doesn't change the fact the guy looks like a rodent.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  4. #49
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,270

    Default

    This is GR. We snark about looks and he does look like a rodent.
    HWBL and arie_skop like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  5. #50
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    First: I don't get your first sentence. Where did I lecture "a country"? And where did I do it in connection with the guy looking like a rodent? Nowhere. Crowds do not equal a country.
    Again: his looks have nothing to do with his ability at the game. For the third time: he looks like a rodent. He played excellent tennis. I never claimed these things had anything to do with each other. I don't remember having said anything about the female Wimbledon winner. I didn't and don't link looks with abilities, be it at tennis or any other field. I don't know who does make that connection. Doesn't change the fact the guy looks like a rodent.
    You commented on the chauvinistic crowds at Wimbledon. Chauvinism is a bellicose expression of patriotism or partisan behavior. It's hard to imagine who you are implying is behaving excessively patriotically other than the British fans who, because of the location, are far more likely to populate the stands. So, I took what you said as a comment on the sportsmanship of the British fans. How else could someone reasonably take it?

    When you couple this with the fact that you have used the word "rodent" 7 times, and "ferret" 4 times, that sounds a little over the top. It seems like the point was made the first time he was compared to a rodent or ferret. And then, to admonish the British fans for being poor sports when all these negative comments about Murray are laden with rodent or ferret, neither of which have absolutely anything to do with him as a player -- that doesn't sound like good sportsmanship either.
    Mivvi21 likes this.

  6. #51
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    You commented on the chauvinistic crowds at Wimbledon. Chauvinism is a bellicose expression of patriotism or partisan behavior. It's hard to imagine who you are implying is behaving excessively patriotically other than the British fans who, because of the location, are far more likely to populate the stands. So, I took what you said as a comment on the sportsmanship of the British fans. How else could someone reasonably take it?

    When you couple this with the fact that you have used the word "rodent" 7 times, and "ferret" 4 times, that sounds a little over the top. It seems like the point was made the first time he was compared to a rodent or ferret. And then, to admonish the British fans for being poor sports when all these negative comments about Murray are laden with rodent or ferret, neither of which have absolutely anything to do with him as a player -- that doesn't sound like good sportsmanship either.
    Again: crowds do not a country make. It's of no relevance how much bigger the majority of Brits in the Wimbledon crowds was as compared to the other nationalities present; they still do not make up the entire country. My comments on the FERRET'S looks have nothing to do with sportsmanship. He played excellent tennis, I've said so repeatedly. That's showing sportsmanship pretty clearly. See, if I hadn't, I would have unjustly claimed he played like shit, the game was rigged and he won undeservedly (aside from looking like a RODENT). But I didn't. I didn't even say he would have lost had Djokovic played at his normal level. I just said the match would have been even closer.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  7. #52
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Again: crowds do not a country make. It's of no relevance how much bigger the majority of Brits in the Wimbledon crowds was as compared to the other nationalities present; they still do not make up the entire country. My comments on the FERRET'S looks have nothing to do with sportsmanship. He played excellent tennis, I've said so repeatedly. That's showing sportsmanship pretty clearly. See, if I hadn't, I would have unjustly claimed he played like shit, the game was rigged and he won undeservedly (aside from looking like a RODENT). But I didn't. I didn't even say he would have lost had Djokovic played at his normal level. I just said the match would have been even closer.
    Without belaboring the point too much further, you can't be a chauvinist crowd unless you have a sizable contingent of people who are exhibiting an excessively partisan zeal for a particular nationality of player. It would appear from my initial reading that you are referring to British fans. It doesn't have to be all of Britain being chastised to think that it is somehow ironic to be offering this advice while delivering continued ad hominem insults to a particular player.

  8. #53
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    12,330

    Default

    I can't stand Andy Murray and he looks like a rodent. Sorry Brits/Murray fans, not everyone can be on the same boat. Please feel free to hate on Lleyton Hewitt (rodent with freckles) until the cows come home, most Aussies already do.
    HWBL, A*O, arie_skop and 1 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



  9. #54
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Without belaboring the point too much further, you can't be a chauvinist crowd unless you have a sizable contingent of people who are exhibiting an excessively partisan zeal for a particular nationality of player. It would appear from my initial reading that you are referring to British fans. It doesn't have to be all of Britain being chastised to think that it is somehow ironic to be offering this advice while delivering continued ad hominem insults to a particular player.
    Oh, but I disagree (you totally didn't see that coming, I bet!): a single person in said crowd could be the only one rooting for the player of his country, simply for the fact that they share the fact that they come from that same country. Chauvinism can be expressed in crowds of more than 2 or by an individual. I'm sure there was a lone Serb in the crowd somewhere yesterday who wanted Novak to win because he is a fellow Serb, so that argument doesn't stand. Neither the crowd or the lone chauvinist represents an entire country. I never "chastized" all of Britain, because I know for a fact that not all of Britain is a fan of the rodent, but also because like I said before a "crowd" doesn't represent a whole "country". And calling somebody a rodent or ferret has nothing to do with chauvinism nor with the size of a crowd, nor with the quality of play of said rodent, nor with my being a fan of said rodent or not. It just has to do with the rodent looking like a rodent. Period.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  10. #55
    Elite Member levitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    the sin bin
    Posts
    14,192

    Default

    I was there and I cheered whenever good tennis was played. In the first set I even cheered "come on Novak!" So please don't say we are all the same. This was a big moment for our country/nation/whatever.

    I was on TV a fuck load and got both Andy and Novak's autograph. Will upload photos and videos soon. In fact I was in the top right of the screen the entire match (my seats were incredible, watched the highlight show and there I am, just in the top right). Novak was gracious in defeat and his bending down to receive Andy's serve was a beautiful view. Yes I have pictures.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vse3kzyjht...2014.01.36.mov

    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/603z02kzqetd0gs/TnHZieR3eV

    Let me know if those work guys. I didn't take too many pictures because I was so involved watching the match!
    Last edited by levitt; July 8th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.

  11. #56
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Oh, but I disagree (you totally didn't see that coming, I bet!): a single person in said crowd could be the only one rooting for the player of his country, simply for the fact that they share the fact that they come from that same country. Chauvinism can be expressed in crowds of more than 2 or by an individual. I'm sure there was a lone Serb in the crowd somewhere yesterday who wanted Novak to win because he is a fellow Serb, so that argument doesn't stand. Neither the crowd or the lone chauvinist represents an entire country. I never "chastized" all of Britain, because I know for a fact that not all of Britain is a fan of the rodent, but also because like I said before a "crowd" doesn't represent a whole "country". And calling somebody a rodent or ferret has nothing to do with chauvinism nor with the size of a crowd, nor with the quality of play of said rodent, nor with my being a fan of said rodent or not. It just has to do with the rodent looking like a rodent. Period.
    LOL! This feels almost like the scene between Vizzini and the Man in Black and the Princess Bride.

  12. #57
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I was there and I cheered whenever good tennis was played. In the first set I even cheered "come on Novak!" So please don't say we are all the same. This was a big moment for our country/nation/whatever.
    I didn't.

    LOL the poor old guy in your clip, carrying all their gear. It's an honorary task, I know, but he could've tripped and broken a hip!

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    LOL! This feels almost like the scene between Vizzini and the Man in Black and the Princess Bride.
    One of my fave movies.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  13. #58
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,847

    Default

    lol wtf is going on in this thread??

    great pics, levitt!
    levitt likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  14. #59
    Elite Member levitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    the sin bin
    Posts
    14,192

    Default

    ^ thanks sput. Yeah I know, totally trying to kill my buzz!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

  15. #60
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    lol wtf is going on in this thread??

    great pics, levitt!
    We were infested with rodents. Then, someone poisoned the goblet. And then we learned that you never bet against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wimbledon 2010
    By t13nif in forum Sports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: July 5th, 2010, 12:12 AM
  2. Wimbledon, 2009
    By Chimera in forum Sports
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: July 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 29th, 2007, 02:16 PM
  5. Drunken David Hasselhoff kicked out of Wimbledon
    By twitchy in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: July 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •