Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Tokyo 2020

Naomi Osaka is out. Kind of surprising given her level but then she’s missed a lot of tournaments
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    A moment of collective eyeroll across the globe was seen.

Skateboarding by far has been the most exciting sport I've watched so far.

Gymnastics...*sigh* I hope Simone is OK physically, it seems like mentally she might be all set with this which is unfortunate.

I loved the Japanese skateboarder. Did she get gold?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    actually the london ceremonies are the only ones i watched, and mostly because blur performed
    Did they sing Song #2? And isn't the Blur guy fronting a new band - Gorillaz?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i hate the rah-rah nationalism of the games and the medal counting and flag worshipping but if you ignore that it's fun to watch the actual events. i don't think i've ever sat through the opening or closing ceremonies at the olympics though, they've pretty much always been lame and jingoistic.
    I used to be into the medal count, but I agree it is totally lame and defeats the purpose of recognizing that some countries without all of the wealth and resources manage to win against all odds. A woman weightlifter won the Philipines' first gold. AMAZING. Can't imagine what she must have overcome to get to this point.
    sputnik, o0Amber0o and palta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

Did they sing Song #2? And isn't the Blur guy fronting a new band - Gorillaz?

I used to be into the medal count, but I agree it is totally lame and defeats the purpose of recognizing that some countries without all of the wealth and resources manage to win against all odds. A woman weightlifter won the Philipines' first gold. AMAZING. Can't imagine what she must have overcome to get to this point.
    re: blur, they did a whole set. pretty sure song 2 was included which is like the only song of theirs that did well in the US and also one of my least favourite of their songs.

and agree about how much more special it is when small countries win against all odds. china, russia, the US, japan, etc all have olympic industries and throw shitloads of money at it, of course they're going to win a ton of medals. but there's nothing really special about it either, it doesn't make them "the best", just the ones with the most money and resources.
    czb, MohandasKGanja, palta and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I loved the Japanese skateboarder. Did she get gold?
    The 13 year old? Yes!
    The 13 year old Brazilian won silver and the 16 year old Japanese won bronze! It really was a nail biter.

And many props to both of the 30 somethings who competed (the Puerto Rican man was 35 I think and the American woman was 34, she came in 4th) because lord knows if I landed on my hip once as a 35 year old I'd be down for 6 months.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    The 13 year old? Yes!
    The 13 year old Brazilian won silver and the 16 year old Japanese won bronze! It really was a nail biter.

And many props to both of the 30 somethings who competed (the Puerto Rican man was 35 I think and the American woman was 34, she came in 4th) because lord knows if I landed on my hip once as a 35 year old I'd be down for 6 months.
    Here's a clip from it. Adorable, talented kids:
    sputnik likes this.

You guys have got to see this - Japan vs China in the doubles table tennis final - Mima Ito is a freaking assassin. The best parts start around 3:00:

sputnik likes this.

And isn't the Blur guy fronting a new band - Gorillaz?
    Gorillaz have been around since the 90s, grampa.

I'm loving Erriyon Knighton! That kid has swagger, and he backs it up on the track. I hope he wins the 200.
    Be excellent to each other.

^^^ Now that I have an 18-year-old, I'm old enough to actually BE one.

Hey, I absolutely lucked out being awake and watching last night when Karsten Warholm and Rai Benjamin faced off in the men's 400 meter hurdles last night. I had no idea of the magnitude of this race. Previously this year, Warholm (Norway) had broken a 29-year-old 400 meter hurdles record. But last night, Warhold and Benjamin BOTH broke THAT record. Warholm ran a sub 46-second race with his win. The commentators were in shock and kept saying how grateful they were to be there to witness the race. It didn't even look that fast to me, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Gorillaz have been around since the 90s, grampa.
    lol yeah
    damon albarn always had other projects besides blur. gorillaz, the good the bad and the queen, the soundtrack work he did with michael nyman, his mali music solo album, etc.

^^^ Now that I have an 18-year-old, I'm old enough to actually BE one.

Hey, I absolutely lucked out being awake and watching last night when Karsten Warholm and Rai Benjamin faced off in the men's 400 meter hurdles last night. I had no idea of the magnitude of this race. Previously this year, Warholm (Norway) had broken a 29-year-old 400 meter hurdles record. But last night, Warhold and Benjamin BOTH broke THAT record. Warholm ran a sub 46-second race with his win. The commentators were in shock and kept saying how grateful they were to be there to witness the race. It didn't even look that fast to me, but what do I know?
    ^^ I caught that, too. It was pretty amazing and agree with the announcers not even being able to fully put it into words. They were so shocked.

I was at summer camp with my daughter for a few days in the beginning and missed about 1/2 the swimming races. I was a swimmer so it's really the only sport I understand. I loved the reaction by both Annie Lazor and Lilly King when South African Tatjana Schoenmaker won gold in the 200 Breast, they were so happy for her. A few days ago Lilly said that as a country we shouldn't focus so much on getting gold and more on celebrating all the achievements of the athletes. Like Rai Benjamin, he went under the previous WR but got silver, that's still a massive victory for him.

I'm super dissapointed in Novak Djokovic and his temper tantrum on court then leaving his mixed doubles partner out to dry....after he threw his racket into the stands.

Table Tennis confuses me, their serves are so weird. Snoop Dog loved Dressage. We watched some archery and man those commentators were HARSH. Basically you sucked if you didn't get a 10 every time.

yeah, there are few things i love more than djokovic's tennis game but that was a dick move. that said i still want him to win the calendar slam because i think the last time someone did it was steffi graf, and the last time a man did it was rod laver in the 60s.

Watching the women's skateboarding - the tiny girl from GB, Sky Brown, is incredible and adorable.

eta Holy shit I just found out she's 13! No wonder she pulls off such amazing tricks, she's too young to know fear.
    sputnik, Sarzy and o0Amber0o like this.

Sydney McLaughlin - who was in my Unsorted Hot Women - Olympians 2021 thread, just got the gold and the world record.

Following up on Faithanne, I really didn't know about Sky Brown. Not only is she 13, she is apparently the youngest Olympian in 80 years. Incredibly charming kid, who seems to be as good a surfer as she is a skateboarder. Skateboarding clip:

Last edited by MohandasKGanja; August 3rd, 2021 at 09:52 PM.

^I'm watching the final now, it's between Sky and the three Japanese girls, who are all just coming out and topping each other with their awesomeness - one of them is 12! All these kids are cool as fuck.

I’ve been obsessed with skateboarding and surfing these Olympics. And it blows my mind how young the skater girls are. One of the Japanese girls who won is 12, and the youngest medalist since 1936. My favourites are the japanese team and the Brazilian girl who took silver in the street skateboarding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information