Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas school seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

I still think its extremely poor sportsmanship, even if I don't condone the firing of this coach. I'm kind of surprised by the reactions here. I was brought up that it was in very poor form to run the score up on your opponent, you do NOT run a full court press and keep shooting threes when you have a solid advantage. I would assume once you have a 50 point lead, you know you are going to win, that much is obvious. If I had been a parent of the winning team, I would have been really embarrassed, quite frankly, and I would have been ashamed. Obviously this team is not a powerhouse, it hasn't won a game in four seasons. Its never been an issue before. The coach of the other team should have known that they didn't have to bring their A-game; he could have played some of the players who don't get much game time. They weren't a threat and obviously he went out there trying to prove that his team was going to annihilate them, not merely just win. It was very unsportsmanlike, sorry. I do think he deserved a slap on the wrist, if not be fired. They did not, however, need to forfeit. The players should not have been punished for something the coach should have reigned in.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!
    in north carolina for the next 2 years >.<

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I still think its extremely poor sportsmanship, even if I don't condone the firing of this coach. I'm kind of surprised by the reactions here. I was brought up that it was in very poor form to run the score up on your opponent, you do NOT run a full court press and keep shooting threes when you have a solid advantage. I would assume once you have a 50 point lead, you know you are going to win, that much is obvious. If I had been a parent of the winning team, I would have been really embarrassed, quite frankly, and I would have been ashamed. Obviously this team is not a powerhouse, it hasn't won a game in four seasons. Its never been an issue before. The coach of the other team should have known that they didn't have to bring their A-game; he could have played some of the players who don't get much game time. They weren't a threat and obviously he went out there trying to prove that his team was going to annihilate them, not merely just win. It was very unsportsmanlike, sorry. I do think he deserved a slap on the wrist, if not be fired. They did not, however, need to forfeit. The players should not have been punished for something the coach should have reigned in.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
    I don't know if you all read the whole article. The losing team is from a highschool of 20 girls with learning disabilities.

Kinda fucked up to say they have no athletic ability and got spanked. I for one don't think the winning team had to play like that.
    The article actually said 'differences' not 'disabilities'...

And I agree that the winning team didn't have to rub their lead in the losing teams faces but the coach really shouldn't have been fired IMO.. unless he was on the sidelines screaming 'beat their asses' I don't think he acted unscrupulously.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    The article actually said 'differences' not 'disabilities'...

And I agree that the winning team didn't have to rub their lead in the losing teams faces but the coach really shouldn't have been fired IMO.. unless he was on the sidelines screaming 'beat their asses' I don't think he acted unscrupulously.
    From the Dallas Academy website:
    The multisensory approach is especially beneficial to those students who have been diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia, and other learning differences.

I think that 'differences' is just a nicer way of saying 'disabilities'.

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's exactly what it is.

Dysgraphia (or agraphia) is a deficiency in the ability to write, regardless of the ability to read, not due to intellectual impairment.

Dyslexia is a learning disability that manifests primarily as a difficulty with written language, particularly with reading and spelling. It is separate and distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction.[1]

Neither of these would affect anyone's ability to play sports.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

So learning differences (or disabilities.. whatever floats your boat) are now considered physical handicaps? I thought the whole idea was to make people diagnosed with learning disabilities feel integrated with--not polarized from--their peers.

ETA: Exactly, greys.

Hit By Ban Bus!

so stomping them 100-0 is making them feel integrated!?

Hey, YOU SUCK, but you're one of us!

No, it's unfortunate that they lost by such a huge margin but it's stupid to use their learning differences as a handicap. I don't think the other team was making them feel intellectually inferior by beating them so badly... which makes mentioning whatever learning differences there are unnecessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information