Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swimming: FINA "absolute disgrace" over suits, says Hackett

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    I think everyone should wear the same thing (either that suit or the speedos) so that it can be fair.
    Or everyone could compete naked.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    And Phelps is a total hypocrite. He was happy to pump his fist in the air as Mr. #1 when he was wearing suits that not everyone else had. Typical bad sport finding excuses and stomping off until everyone else 'stops cheating.'
    This is not accurate. Speedo shared its technology on its suits for years. (I can't remember if they did it voluntarily or were forced by FINA.) There was much more of a level playing field at the Olympics last year. These Arena suits are made of an entirely different material than Speedo's LZR. Phelps didn't have an astronomical advantage with his suit when he was breaking records in Bejing unlike those Arena suits. There were plenty of other swimmers from other countries wearing similar suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    This is not accurate. Speedo shared its technology on its suits for years. (I can't remember if they did it voluntarily or were forced by FINA.) There was much more of a level playing field at the Olympics last year. These Arena suits are made of an entirely different material than Speedo's LZR. Phelps didn't have an astronomical advantage with his suit when he was breaking records in Bejing unlike those Arena suits. There were plenty of other swimmers from other countries wearing similar suits.
    How does that show what I said isn't accurate? He had advantages that other swimmers didn't have. Not all the swimmers had those suits. Not to mention that not all the swimmers swam in the center, preferred lanes in the pool. And the pools were deeper in Beijing, and along with the suit technology, helped swimmers break records they wouldn't otherwise. Phelps was a major beneficiary of this and he wasn't complaining then. Someone steals the spotlight from him on a race and he throws a hissy fit.

Gold Member

^^You get to swim in the middle lanes in the final by qualifying with the fastest time in the heat. Michael earned those middle lanes.

It is an incentive to try your best in the heats instead of just doing enough to qualify. That way the paying public are getting to see some decent heat swims.

As an aside the FINA rules state no buoyancy devices should be used. My understanding is the swim suits are assisting with flotation.

I think it is bad for the sport to allow them to be used and then change the rules. It means that very few records will be broken in the future which may cause people to lose interest in the sport. As FINA has allowed the suits, they should now keep them in.

By changing the rules they just appear incompetent.

How does that show what I said isn't accurate? He had advantages that other swimmers didn't have.
    Actually, for most of Phelps' Beijing swims, he wore less of a suit than his competitors. Phelps only wore the legs of the LZR suit for any of his races involving butterfly. Many, if not most, of his competitors wore full bodysuits. For instance, in the 100 fly final last year, Phelps wore only the LZR leggings while Milorad Cavic wore the full LZR body suit.
    Not all the swimmers had those suits.
    True, not all of them wore Speedos last year, but if they didn't, it was because they wore one of the other suits by Arena, Tyr, etc. that were virtually comparable. Last April ('08), Speedo had to hand over the basic technology for the LZR to its competitors (Arena, etc.) in order for the LZR to be allowed into Olympic competition. Which means that, last year, whether you were wearing a Speedo or an Arena suit, you didn't really have a competitive advantage over your competitors.

(And I believe that this has happened to Speedo before if my memory serves right. Speedo's does a lot of R&D, and then it's ended up having to pass on the basics to competitors before major competitions to keep the playing field level. I swear this happened with the papers suits back in the day, but I'm not going to try to look that up.)
    Phelps was a major beneficiary of this and he wasn't complaining then. Someone steals the spotlight from him on a race and he throws a hissy fit.
    Phelps has actually not complained much more about the suits than other swimmers. They've all complained about it. Most of them feel that it's bad for their sport. Phelps knows that he's not in his best shape. He also knows, however, that Biedermann might not have been able to beat him without the suit (which Biedermann himself has acknowledged). However, Phelps was polite when asked whether he lost to the suit or the swimmer - he answered that he lost to the swimmer.

Bowman's comments about Phelps not swimming until the ban is in place was a response to FINA's back pedalling about when the ban was going to be implemented. FINA originally came out and said that the polyurethane bodysuits would be illegal starting January 1, 2010. Then, the same day as Phelps' loss in the 200 Free, FINA then said, "Well, the ban might not go into effect until April or May 2010." THAT is what made the coaches, including Bowman, livid. Not Phelps taking silver.

It's absolutely ridiculous how FINA has managed swim wear over the past 18 months, and this not implementing the ban for 9 months was just the last straw. That's why Grant Hackett has called for removal of the FINA management. It's absolutely a disgrace that it's gone this far. These suits should never have been allowed in the first place. Even the LZR. There were qualms about the LZR last year when it was revealed, albeit to a much smaller degree than the solid polyurethane suits. FINA could've prevented the whole mess by saying "No" to Speedo, but they caved. My guess is that they felt like they had to now give in to the other swim manufacturers. Personally, I would appreciate it if FINA looked after the sport and not the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2007 View Post
    ^^You get to swim in the middle lanes in the final by qualifying with the fastest time in the heat. Michael earned those middle lanes.
    The middle lanes are not necessarily the faster lanes anymore. If anything, the outer lanes are now regarded as having faster water since competition pools now dictate that there is an empty lane between the pool wall and the competition lanes closest to them (lanes 1 & 8). Back in the day, when lanes 1 & 8 (or lanes 1 & 6) were against the walls, they were much slower lanes due to the waves reverberating off the walls. These days, lanes 4 & 5's advantage is being in the middle to keep track of your competitors. That's pretty much it.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

^^^Thanks for the extra info Little Wombat. There is also talk that many of the current world record holders may boycott future events as a protest against FINA's management and poor handling of this issue.

Elite Member

Make them swim in the nude - problem solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information