Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: **SPOILER THREAD** 2010 Vancouver Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    The NY Post is running this on their 'banner' yet give NO extra details. So, unsure of the situation, and certainly hope its not true.
    True. He is dead. But it happened at Squaw Valley, not Vancouver.
    Last edited by McJag; February 25th, 2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: missing u
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Just f**king great, tomorrow's figure skating long, NBC (Nothing But Cocks) will pull the same f**king stunt.

Keep those on the west coast (not sure elsewhere) up until 11 PM to Midnight to watch skating that's done already.

Is there a live feed somewheres on the internet so I don't have to rely on these penises at the station?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post

I'm going to be sad when these Olympics are over.
    me too and I don't like the summer olympics as much as the winter - which I just realized is odd since I moved to Georgia to get away from the snow

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Just f**king great, tomorrow's figure skating long, NBC (Nothing But Cocks) will pull the same f**king stunt.

Keep those on the west coast (not sure elsewhere) up until 11 PM to Midnight to watch skating that's done already.

Is there a live feed somewheres on the internet so I don't have to rely on these penises at the station?
    I'd just like to see more skating instead of the top 5 and our skaters.

Ok look now I don't like the South Koreans in short track either but that relay didn't go down right. The announcer said the girl from China fouled the Korean but yet the Koreans were disqualified? It's nice to see Americans get a medal but not that way.

Oh my gosh the bob sled event was crazy, I'm shocked no one was killed way 2 go Canada!

i've given up trying to watch anything on TV. fucking sucks.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post

I've been going here for live events.

Canada is doing really good! Loved the bob sleders.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I've been going here for live events.
    I'll try that, thanks.

Uh-oh, world war 4:

Controversy: S. Korea DQ'd in short track relay, China gets gold - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Another Olympics, another short track speedskating controversy involving South Korea.
    Eight years after Kim Dong-Sung had his gold medal stripped when judges determined he cut off Apolo Anton Ohno, the country was served another crushing disqualification when its women's 3,000 meter relay team had gold taken away when it was ruled that a skater had illegally bumped a Chinese competitor on a turn. The DQ moved China to the gold medal position and gave the United States a surprise bronze.
    If the disqualification of Kim Dong-Sung in 2002 is any indication, South Koreans will be irate with the decision. According to Olympic historian David Wallechinsky, in the hours after Kim's DQ, his fans flooded IOC servers with 16,000 angry emails protesting the call. It certainly won't help matters that the ref who disqualified Kim eight years ago was the same ref who made the fateful decision Wednesday in Vancouver.
    Yes, South Korea, Jim Hewish did it to you again. The chief referee was in a precarious situation though. The offending bump was obvious, but it wasn't clear that it should lead to a disqualification. Relays tend to be judged a little looser than regular short track events, so there was thought that Hewish might let the contact go. But after three minutes of deliberation, he decided that the bump had impeded China's progress.
    It wasn't the wrong call, but it wasn't the right one either. Short track rulings are judgment calls and this was the definition of one. The ruling was a no-win proposition that was going to make one side furious no matter what.
    By sliding into bronze medal position, the Americans won the nation's first short track women's medals since 1994. It seemed to be a bittersweet moment for the quartet. They seemed pleased with the bronze but also had looks that suggested that they knew they hadn't earned one. It's an appropriate sentiment at the time -- how much should one really celebrate lucking onto the podium -- but one that should hopefully fade over time. They may have backed into bronze, but as the fourth-best relay team in the world. Don't say it wasn't earned.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The offending bump was obvious, but it wasn't clear that it should lead to a disqualification.

I saw the darn thing about half a dozen times and I didn't see any offending bump, as a matter of fact our announcer said it was a Chinese skater whose skate touched that of the S.Korean girls skate. Nothing happened, no one fell, no one raised their arms to show they had been fouled. It was bogus. We didn't deserve that medal, our team was way in the back.

Maybe it's karma biting them in the butt but I don't think S.Korea got a fair shake this time.

its a shame that Korea was DQ'd. I didnt agree with the call. My thought is, if it took them that long to make a decision about it, then there was no call to make.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

C.R. Johnson, X-Games skier, dies after fall at California ski hill
    By CATHY BUSSEWITZ
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, February 25, 2010; 6:32 AM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Current Olympians and others in the ski community are mourning the loss of professional free skier C.R. Johnson, who died in a fall while skiing a steep chute at California's Squaw Valley.

Johnson, 26, who has competed in the Winter X Games, was skiing with a group of friends when he fell while trying to negotiate a "very, very tight, rocky area," said Jim Rogers, a member of the Lake Tahoe-area resort's ski patrol.

He fell face-first, then spun around and struck the back of his head on rocks in the Light Towers area of the resort. Johnson was wearing a helmet, but Rogers said the helmet took a serious blow.

Ski patrol members were called shortly before 2 p.m. but were unable to revive him. Placer County Sheriff's Lt. Jeff Ausnow said Johnson died on the slopes.

Johnson was well-known at Squaw Valley, a challenging resort near Lake Tahoe's north shore that hosted the 1960 Winter Olympics. It also is the home base for several members of the U.S. ski team, including Olympic alpine medalist Julia Mancuso.

She tweeted about Johnson's death late Wednesday: "crazy day just got a little bit more unexpected... just learned that my friend and insane skier CR Johnson just died at Squaw.. my heart and prayers go out to everyone at home and CR's family."

Olympic snowboarder Louie Vito also tweeted his reaction: "RIP to my homie CR Johnson. He will be missed by EVERYONE. At least he was doin what he loved but CR YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!!"

Johnson's father was an avalanche forecaster at the resort for about a decade, Rogers said. The younger skier also had rebounded from a serious injury suffered during a competition in 2005 that put him in a coma for several months.

"This is a man of very, very strong skiing talent," Rogers said. "This young man had been a fixture here at Squaw Valley for years. ... He grew up at Squaw Valley."

A statement from Squaw Valley USA described Johnson as a professional skier and member of its Freeride team.

He also competed in superpipe and halfpipe skiing at events such as the X Games. A photograph on his MySpace page said he was "X-qualified" for a skiing competition in France in 2002, while the Web site for the Ski Channel Television Network said he had been nominated for male skier of the year in 2002.

The freeskier.com Web site posted clips of Johnson in several extreme skier movies, jumping off cliffs and sailing through fresh, untracked powder. One clip includes Johnson talking about relearning to use his arms and legs after a severe injury caused by a collision with another skier while filming at Utah's Brighton ski resort in 2005.

He recalls "being one of the best skiers in the world, overly confident in your skiing, overly confident in yourself. ... Right now I'm working as hard as I possibly can to return to the sport that nearly killed me."

Squaw Valley attracts expert skiers and is known for its difficult terrain. Johnson is the fifth skier to die on the slopes over the past three years. Two of the five died in avalanches, including one member of the ski patrol.

Attempts to reach Johnson's family late Wednesday were unsuccessful, and a telephone message left with a spokesman for the X Games was not immediately returned.

Johnson, whose first name was Charles, had posted the following statement his MySpace page: "I feel it's most important to keep it real and enjoy each moment, you know, take advantage of every opportunity life provides, because who knows what tomorrow may bring."

Associated Press Writer Don Thompson contributed to this report.
    washingtonpost.com
    2010 The Associated Press
    FD HIDDEN DIV

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    me too and I don't like the summer olympics as much as the winter - which I just realized is odd since I moved to Georgia to get away from the snow

I'd just like to see more skating instead of the top 5 and our skaters.

Ok look now I don't like the South Koreans in short track either but that relay didn't go down right. The announcer said the girl from China fouled the Korean but yet the Koreans were disqualified? It's nice to see Americans get a medal but not that way.

Oh my gosh the bob sled event was crazy, I'm shocked no one was killed way 2 go Canada!
    yeah that bobsledding was something else-especially when the German got thrown out of the sled like a ragdoll!
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Canada is doing really good! Loved the bob sleders.
    I loved it that Canada was 1 and 3 and the US was 2. Once again, Go NORTH AMERICA!!!- Together we shut out everyone else! ( also thanks to the German crash-glad they were not hurt). Canada can keep racking up all the medals it can...as long as they are keeping the Germans off the podium and allowing us to keep our medal lead..*shameless homerism/nationalism*

*Also way to go AUSTRALIA for knocking the Dominant Chinese out of a gold medal in that scary-as-hell ski jumping thing. I could not believe that Chinese girl fell...and managed to keep that smile on her face. That seem to be very very good...and also good sports.

How much snow does Australia ever even get?..maybe a bit in the highest mountains in winter, but that would have to be about it, right?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Can you imagine what the German bobsledders family must have thought as she was tossed from the bobsled? After the death on the opening day, they had to be scared as hell.

Soj, I'm with you on the Canada medal thing. I like watching them win (unless they're playing us in hockey).

Those ski jumpers were sort of cool. It seems like a made up sport to me though. Kind of like that cross country skiing/shooting event. It just seems weird.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    yeah that bobsledding was something else-especially when the German got thrown out of the sled like a ragdoll!

They said she ejected on her own.. going at over 80 some miles an hour. It was scary to watch. How is it they end up on their heads and yet not suffer brain injury? I mean she did almost half the track on her head. I bet the chick that ejected is sore today.

I loved it that Canada was 1 and 3 and the US was 2. Once again, Go NORTH AMERICA!!!- Together we shut out everyone else! ( also thanks to the German crash-glad they were not hurt). Canada can keep racking up all the medals it can...as long as they are keeping the Germans off the podium and allowing us to keep our medal lead..*shameless homerism/nationalism*

I thought U.S.A came in third and Canada took the first and second spots. It's funny to hear the announcers say "we" when they talk about Canada and the U.S. It's like we north americans are finally something after all this time of everything being all "euro"

*Also way to go AUSTRALIA for knocking the Dominant Chinese out of a gold medal in that scary-as-hell ski jumping thing. I could not believe that Chinese girl fell...and managed to keep that smile on her face. That seem to be very very good...and also good sports.

How much snow does Australia ever even get?..maybe a bit in the highest mountains in winter, but that would have to be about it, right?
    ack the bronze medal game is on between Finland and Sweden - hockey!! I almost missed it. Fins got a goal. I'm loving hockey!!

Women's Hockey Gold medal game. First period. Canada 2 U.S.A 0.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    Women's Hockey Gold medal game. First period. Canada 2 U.S.A 0.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD!

"Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Thread Information