Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: **SPOILER THREAD** 2010 Vancouver Olympics

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    That's basically what happened in the IIHF world juniors Canada/US gold medal game. Canada has the skill but the US outskates us a lot of the times.

There's a guy in the audience with a white helmet with a red strobe light on top. I've seen this guy in at least 3 different Olympic games, and he was at every Canadian IIHF juniors game in Regina/Saskatoon last December. I'd love to know how much this guy has spent in tickets, transportation, etc just for hockey games...I salute you crazy Canadian hockey fan.
    I've been working at the hockey venue for the Games and there is a 'professional' fan who is at every game. Apparently he is on the payroll, he wears a gazillion T-shirts and in between whistles he acts like a buffoon and starts tearing off layers of T-shirts and throwing them into the crowd. The first time we saw it he looked like a real, crazy fan but now that we know his deal, it's really obnoxious. I mean, seriously? Some guy gets to go to every game to be a professional idiotic fan?

Oh, and the game was excruitiating to watch in person . Gah. I am the biggest hockey fan and as a volunteer i am supposed to be impartial, lol. I let out a big scream when Canada scored to make it 3-2 in the last few minutes. Unfortunately i was down in the press area so it was really noticeable, lol. Not many Canucks stopped to talk to the press. Brodeur did, that's one thing i really admire about him, is he always talks to the reporters no matter what.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

That's basically what happened in the IIHF world juniors Canada/US gold medal game. Canada has the skill but the US outskates us a lot of the times.

There's a guy in the audience with a white helmet with a red strobe light on top. I've seen this guy in at least 3 different Olympic games, and he was at every Canadian IIHF juniors game in Regina/Saskatoon last December. I'd love to know how much this guy has spent in tickets, transportation, etc just for hockey games...I salute you crazy Canadian hockey fan.
    LOL! I thought of you last night. There was a photo of this guy in our newspaper.

t13, I'm jealous that you've been able to see so many events in person!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Hey, Bode Miller finally won a gold! Good for him!

I thought Domnina & Shabalin's aboriginal dance was pretty bad and they were very slow.

after all that build up I was really let down, I thought they sucked. However I was bummed that I didn't like Tanith and Ben either. I liked our B team better, then again I like Indian dance (phfft fessing up to liking Bollywood)

I was shocked that Canada got beat in Hockey.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    LOL! I thought of you last night. There was a photo of this guy in our newspaper.

t13, I'm jealous that you've been able to see so many events in person!
    Yeah, i've been really, really lucky . Although fuck, i just realized i'm not working for the next men's games. Hmmmm, will have to see what i can do about that.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    However I was bummed that I didn't like Tanith and Ben either. I liked our B team better, then again I like Indian dance (phfft fessing up to liking Bollywood)
    Davis & White did have a better original dance. I wouldn't really think of them as the B team - regardless of what NBC advertising would have us believe - since they won the gold and beat Tanith & Ben at U.S. Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Davis & White did have a better original dance. I wouldn't really think of them as the B team - regardless of what NBC advertising would have us believe - since they won the gold and beat Tanith & Ben at U.S. Nationals.
    Well. Tanith is prettier.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

And Steve Yzerman looks piiiiissed.
    Crosby looked pissed too!

When the pressure's on, Canada panicks. They made a lot of stupid mistakes last night.

Please Dear God let Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir get gold tonight so we can redeem ourselves somewhat.

By the way, with the flap over Canada's "Own the Podium" motto, I love Apolo Ohno's response to reporters: “They can own the podium. We just want to borrow it for the month of February. ..." God I love this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Well. Tanith is prettier.
    Er, if you say so.

Default U.S. women's hockey team beats Sweden to advance to final

U.S. routs Sweden to advance to final VANCOUVER

(AP) -- Monique Lamoureux scored three goals, Jessie Vetter made 11 saves and the United States women's hockey team rolled into the Olympic gold medal match with a 9-1 semifinal victory over Sweden on Monday.

Caitlin Cahow, Karen Thatcher and Kelli Stack each had a goal and an assist as the Americans avenged their 2006 Olympic shootout loss to Sweden. The rematch was a comprehensive thrashing of the Swedes and goalie Kim Martin, who came nowhere close to her 37-save performance in Turin.

The rivalry between the U.S. and Canada in women's hockey is among the most intense in sports. The players on both sides talk about the excitement and mutual respect between the teams when they face off.

After outscoring their first four opponents by a combined 40-2, the Americans will face the winner of Finland's semifinal later Monday against powerhouse Canada, likely setting up the long-anticipated meeting of the sport's two best teams.

No Swedish surprises this time. The U.S. women's hockey team wouldn't allow any goalie to keep them from playing for gold.

Vetter soundly outplayed Martin, who let in a few stoppable goals and made at least one accidental save off her mask. The Americans' superior offense took care of the rest, jumping to a 4-0 lead early in the second period on consecutive goals by Angela Ruggiero and Cahow before icing it with three goals on their first six shots in the third period.

On the 30th anniversary of the U.S. men's Miracle on Ice victory over the Soviet Union in Lake Placid, two-goal scorer turned coach Mark Johnson watched his loaded women's team prevent a repeat of the Swedes' minor miracle in Turin.

Sweden's win in Turin was the first loss by a North American team in a major women's hockey tournament. Martin was the star, but she missed much of last year at Minnesota Duluth with a knee injury, only recently returning to competition.

Except for the symmetry of another semifinal meeting, there was little reason to expect a repeat: The U.S. team hadn't lost to Sweden in five international meetings since Turin, outscoring the Swedes 30-2 before beating them three more times in exhibitions leading up to Vancouver.

With U.S. men's team general manager Brian Burke watching from rinkside, the Americans started the rout less than 7 1/2 minutes in. Moments after Vetter stopped Pernilla Winberg on a point-blank shot, Jenny Potter hit Lamoureux in stride with a long pass, and the 20-year-old twin beat Martin for her second goal of the Olympics.

Meghan Duggan then popped home a rebound during a power play 69 seconds later, and the United States had the same two-goal lead it blew four years ago in Turin. But these Americans barely resemble the fractured team that made the wrong kind of history -- and Martin didn't look like her old self either.

Ruggiero, a four-time Olympian playing in her record 250th game with the U.S. team, beat Martin cleanly with a wrist shot early in the second period. Just 2 1/2 minutes later, Martin clumsily missed catching a soft shot by Cahow, letting it float behind her.

Sweden managed a power play goal midway through the period when Winberg backhanded a puck out of mid-air past Vetter, but Thatcher popped home a rebound goal 4 minutes later.

Lamoureux completed her hat trick on a power play goal with 2:41 to play.

After playing the preliminary round at UBC Thunderbird Arena, both teams waited through a long weekend for a chance to play at the bigger hockey venue in Vancouver. The Americans hadn't played since Thursday, while Sweden had four straight days without a game in a schedule criticized by coaches and some players.

2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

U S A! U S A!!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    U S A! U S A!!

CANADA ! CANADA!! <----Cause we love our beer!!!

The Lamoureux family was featured a few weeks ago in SI. All of their kids have played hockey at a high level. Reminds me of the Sutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    CANADA ! CANADA!! <----Cause we love our beer!!!
    I am in favor of Canadian beer.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

What time and channel (in the US) will the US/CAN hockey game be on?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Won't be for a few days. Canada and U.S have a couple of games to go before they meet.

Thread Information