Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree356Likes

Thread: Serena Williams spoils Naomi Osaka's moment

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I recall she seemed so serious and stern in her demeanor. The time she was coming up all these female players were sort of girly-girly and there was this sort of sexualization of the female players...almost like they did and still do with the figure skating 'ice princesses'. It's like they wanted pretty little girls in short skirts and cute tennis shoes and sun visors.
    I think that's a great observation. Let's face it, when she was playing, it was not a great time to be androgynous or a lesbian. I think part of her personality change may also be due to the fact that she can now just relax and be herself and enjoy being out.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I really used to dislike Navratilova when she was at the peak of her rivalry with Evert. But she has been interviewed by Howard Stern a number of times and she actually seems like a very funny, relaxed person. More appealing to me than Evert. I really misjudged her.
    Oh, for me it was the complete opposite. I couldn't stand Chris Evert who, to me, came across as such a prissy type, princessy, entitled and her tennis style got on my nerves with all the soft shots and terribly long rallies. I loved the power, speed and inventiveness of Martina's game. I also didn't understand why everybody back then spoke of Evert as if she were some unmatched beauty. Sure, Martina wasn't a looker (and it only went downhill as far as I'm concerned when she went bottle blonde), but Evert wasn't particularly blessed with a pretty face, either. Martina is a softy, very emotional, which contradicts with her athleticism and power. She excels at many sports, besides tennis.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Once I got to know Martina (via several interviews, and mostly after she'd retired) I found her really like-able. But I always respected her game.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I was never a big fan of Martina's until her cameo in that Will & Grace flashback where Karen rejected her proposal in a disco.
    sputnik and sprynkles like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I know nothing about tennis, just what I've read in the last few days. Anything I've contributed to this thread came from elsewhere. I remember Martina's name but really have no idea who she is. I googled her....woah, she had some super epic hair back in the 80's.

i love martina, she's great.

while i still think serena acted like a spoiled brat, the more i read about this incident and the more i read some people's reactions, the more i'm siding with her. not so much defending her behaviour but rather that her behaviour pales in comparison to the blatant misogyny and sexism of some commentators. and a lot of it is unconscious biases - people don't even realise they're being racist. like the australian fuckwit who came up with this cartoon:

and who now claims it had nothing to do with gender or race. meanwhile, notice how he drew naomi osaka, who is half haitian and half japanese, as a thin blonde woman, while exaggerating serena's size and features? oh, and the umpire's comment to osaka, which makes it look like serena has been handed her victories rather than deserved them through her excellent playing?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I still think she behaved like a boorish asshat. It's not an isolated incident, and I hope that Tennis, in general, cracks down on tantrums.

I think they should just put a camera up there with a speaker announcing the call. And do it with all the line judges, too. It would be a lot harder to abusive when it's just some electronic cyclops saying your ball went out of bounds.
    Brookie, rollo and arie_skop like this.

I ve read an article about people not able to voice their honest opinion because they are afraid they,ll be called racist,sexist ,ageist and so on.It ended somehow like this.What would you think about me telling you that i think that gorilla in a tutu banging a ball back and forth is earning shitloads of money a scientist never will and this is not fair?It really was an interesting read.

i think in this day and age everyone should refrain from comparing black people to apes because of the history of that. and she's not the only athlete to make millions more than a scientist, in fact the vast majority of athletes who make obscene amounts of money are men, so why single out serena williams just because she's the only woman whose winnings rival those of men?

and i was also reading an article about umpires threatening to boycott all of williams' matches because of the fear of the backlash. and while i understand that fear, at the same time, the only reason they would be called out for racism is because of the systemic racism serena and her sister have been subjected to. navratilova touched on this in her editorial, pointing out the 'scar tissue' serena williams has with umpires at the US open. or the racist booing incident at indian wells that led her to boycott that tournament for 14 years.

so yeah, serena williams acted horribly, and ramos was in all likelihood just being his usual asshole self, but when you've been subjected to as much racist and sexist bullshit as serena williams, it probably becomes impossible to tell the difference anymore. and i understand that. her behaviour was not ok, but the systemic racism and misogyny of professional tennis (and all sports) is a much bigger problem.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Oh the Offenderati are in full virtue signalling outrage here about that Mark Knight cartoon. Wait, he’s a privileged middle aged white male so of course it’s “sexist”. And Osaka actually has (dyed) blonde hair - check out the pics. And Mamma Serena is a bit hefty by comparison. That’s fact, not “racism”. The cartoon is actually about her atrocious attitude and unprofessional behaviour.
    effie2 and arie_skop like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^The cartoon in the Herald Sun was disgustingly racist. And Naomi is not a skinny white girl with a blonde ponytail. Mark Knight is a POS but entirely typical of the Murdoch press.
    czb, sputnik, Mivvi21 and 8 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

czb

I’m sure princess michael thinks the cartoon is funny.
    sputnik, Trixie, MsDark and 3 others like this.

I think the cartoon is racially offensive, but I also think that Williams is cloaking herself in being a mom, and a woman, as a defense against penalties that are actually called against male tennis players. The other player, as was pointed out, is also a woman and has African ancestry. Did she do any of the stuff that Serena or her coach did? How did a 20-year-old player manage to observe the rules and code of conduct more closely than a veteran?
    sputnik, HWBL, MsDark and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    And Osaka actually has (dyed) blonde hair - check out the pics.
    does this look anything like the skinny white girl with straight blonde hair in the cartoon?

The cartoon is actually about her atrocious attitude and unprofessional behaviour.
    come on, a*o, you're smarter than that. he could have made a very strong point about her unprofessional behavior without resorting to sexist and racist 'angry black woman' tropes and without whitewashing osaka. that cartoon is textbook dog whistle racism. is it so hard to admit that serena williams can be both a petulant brat and the subject of sexism and misogyny throughout her entire career?
    Mivvi21, faithanne, czb and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    does this look anything like the skinny white girl with straight blonde hair in the cartoon?
    In all honesty, my first though was that it looks like a cartoon of Carling Bassett, who retired about 30 years ago.

sputnik likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information