Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Rio Olympics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I love Simone Biles so much! Total girlcrush.

I still want some of this though.

I wonder if Simone, at 19, will continue for another Olympics or retire like Phelps? I hope she at least continues on for Worlds to get four in a row.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    The Bahamian was leading anyway and stumbled, from what I could tell. I don't think she tried to go all Supergirl five metres from the line.
    I think she dove, I think it's bullhockey, and I think some kind of rule needs to be established where you must cross the finish line ON YOUR FEET. This is running, not synchronized swimming.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^That's one ugly ass guy, a face only his mother can love. Not that it stands in the way of him breaking records, of course.

^This one, however..... How the hell did I miss him? (He's probably young enough to be my kid, sigh).

Edit: Nah, on second thought, he looks creepy. That was probably one lucky shot.

Bluebonnet likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Phelps does have a very unfortunate face. What a talented dude though.

Proud of how the Brits are doing. Being above China so far on the medals table is pretty surprising.
    Beeyotch, faithanne and Kittylady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I think she dove, I think it's bullhockey, and I think some kind of rule needs to be established where you must cross the finish line ON YOUR FEET. This is running, not synchronized swimming.
    I just saw her admit she "dove for it" on NBC News.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

czb

^^^ did not realize she admitted it but it certainly looked like a dive. i didn't even realize they would accept a dive. i just heard the commentator say that winning is determined by the torso reaching the finish line first, not the head.
    Brookie likes this.

I just saw her admit she "dove for it" on NBC News.
    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ did not realize she admitted it but it certainly looked like a dive. i didn't even realize they would accept a dive. i just heard the commentator say that winning is determined by the torso reaching the finish line first, not the head.
    I know it's technically not against the rules to "take a dive", but it certainly makes her look like she cheated nonetheless...

I just adore Laurie Hernandez, especially after watching her root for Simone and Aly tonight. She was totally into cheering them on, and it just seems like she's not as self involved as your average person.
    JazzyGirl, Brookie and Flygirl like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fran2 View Post
    I just adore Laurie Hernandez, especially after watching her root for Simone and Aly tonight. She was totally into cheering them on, and it just seems like she's not as self involved as your average person.
    Isn't she the cutest? I hope she keeps competing - she is a joy to watch.

I almost cried watching Amy Tinkler win the first medal for her county in gymnastics. I love me some Simone but I really thought Aly's routine was better this time but I'm happy to see them both on the medal podium.

I have no doubt Simone will be back and just as amazing.

I love Phelps. He is hawt and I'm sad I won't see him compete anymore.

I gotta say that diving should rule you out as a winner. You should be upright when you are running.
    Brookie likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I think Dannel Leyva should have gotten the gold for his uneven bars routine, he had less "mistakes" IMO than the gymnast who got the gold. I don't really get the scoring based on "difficulty", all the routines looked difficult to me...

While I love love love our US women gymnasts, I am happy to see they are not robots, and that there is competition out there. I have not followed gymnastics for years now, and by all media accounts the US women who did NOT make the Olympic team could out do the top performers in the other countries. I was so happy to watch Sanne Wever win gold on the beam!! Her pirouettes were amazing!

RE :Gabby Douglas...I Hate the negative press she is getting, I cannot imagine the stress these girls are under, but will admit that I raised my eyebrows when the camera cut to Aly and Madison jumping to their feet after watching Laurie perform, and Aly sort of side-eyed Gabby, who was slow in getting up, clapping and smiling. I may be mistaken, but I think NBC showed it in Slow motion too, which exaggerated the time frame.

Gymnastics used to be my absolute favourite Olympic sport, but I just can't watch the women's competition anymore. I don't like these little muscly pocket dynamo types, I much prefer graceful athleticism. Mary-Lou Retton ruined gymnastics for me and I haven't really followed it since Svetlana Khorkina's heyday.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Gymnastics used to be my absolute favourite Olympic sport, but I just can't watch the women's competition anymore. I don't like these little muscly pocket dynamo types, I much prefer graceful athleticism. Mary-Lou Retton ruined gymnastics for me and I haven't really followed it since Svetlana Khorkina's heyday.
    Have you ever watched Rhythmic Gymnastics? It isn't as athletic as the Artistic Gymnastics but it has the grace and beauty and form of some of the gymnastics from before the score change which brought about the high athletic scores. It only seems to be shown in the US during the Olympics and just fades from view otherwise but they have some really graceful and elegant routines on youtube.

Ellen DeGeneres defends altered photo with Usain Bolt

LOS ANGELES - Ellen DeGeneres says she’s not racist after receiving backlash on social media for posting an edited photo of herself riding on the back of Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt.
    The talk show host said Tuesday on Twitter that she’s “highly aware of the racism that exists in our country” but that’s “the furthest thing from who I am.”
    DeGeneres posted the photo Monday with the caption: “This is how I’m running errands from now on.”
    er

Follow

Ellen DeGeneres
    @TheEllenShow

This is how I’m running errands from now on. #Rio2016
    5:47 PM - 15 Aug 2016

The image of a white woman riding a black man was criticized by many users on social media.
    The original photo of Bolt smiling while running went viral following his gold medal win in the 100-meter dash.
    The comedienne frequently posts photos of herself edited into topical moments and scenes from popular films and TV shows.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information