Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympic Coach Accused Of Sexually Abusing Teen Gymnasts

I guess I'm curious what the preventative is here? Not allowing men to be alone with kids is not it, imo. A lot of kids are molested by their fathers or brothers or step-fathers, but I don't think anyone is prepared to say that they cannot be alone with their child or sibling.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Can we get over the political correctness a little, of course male coaches are far more likely to sexually abuse these young girls than women are. Why can't we be real about that?
    Agreed. Sure, a lot of abuse by women probably isn't reported on as much, but there is still a higher percentage of men who sexually abuse kids than women.
    This article is from a few years ago, but still interesting...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8022861.stm

Laurent, there was a time when it was a practice even amongst family members. It wasn't proper for young girls to be alone with males, even their fathers and brothers and especially step-fathers. However, children did not move freely without a parent or a chaperone to do anything, especially going on trips and such, and regardless of their sex a woman was always along to do the "mothering" type things.

In my family it was a common practice until this latest generation...
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    Laurent, there was a time when it was a practice even amongst family members. It wasn't proper for young girls to be alone with males, even their fathers and brothers and especially step-fathers. However, children did not move freely without a parent or a chaperone to do anything, especially going on trips and such, and regardless of their sex a woman was always along to do the "mothering" type things.
    Huh, you learn something new every day - I didn't know that.

I guess it just feels very extreme to me and close to accusing all men of being possible pedophiles who cannot control themselves.

While not allowing daughters and fathers, or brothers and sisters to be alone may have been practiced in some families, it's not a custom I'm very familiar with. Perhaps it's a cultural thing for some and not for others.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    While not allowing daughters and fathers, or brothers and sisters to be alone may have been practiced in some families, it's not a custom I'm very familiar with. Perhaps it's a cultural thing for some and not for others.
    I can totally understand you not being familiar with it.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

i don't ever remember having to be chaperoned when i was a child. It was just a given that you could trust anyone back then.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i don't ever remember having to be chaperoned when i was a child. It was just a given that you could trust anyone back then.
    Me either, but in high school on any trips taken, we always had chaperones with us.
    Anybody else?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ It's less likely to be a woman though.
    Anyway this is sick.
    Not necessarily. There has been a steep rise of women being charged with molestation. There are lots of these stories just on gr, mostly teachers.
    Last edited by greysfang; September 27th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

sorry but i've never heard of that before. sounds odd.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Default Gymnastics Coach Banned From Sport For Life

A former Olympic gymnastics coach accused of sexually abusing two athletes in the 1980s has been banned for life by USA Gymnastics and his place in the federation's Hall of Fame revoked.

Don Peters, head coach of the 1984 U.S. women's Olympic team, was declared "permanently ineligible" after a disciplinary hearing by USA Gymnastics last week. Peters has already resigned from his coaching and director positions at his SCATS gym in Huntington Beach, Calif., and his ban will be published in USA Gymnastics' magazine and on its website.

Two former gymnasts told the Orange County Register that Peters sexually abused them in the 1980s, when they were teenagers.

In a Register story on Sept. 25, Doe Yamashiro, a former U.S. national team and SCATS member, said Peters began fondling her in 1986, when she was 16, and had sexual intercourse with her when she was 17.

A second woman, who asked that her name not be used, told the Register that Peters had sex with her in 1985 when she was 18.

The alleged abuse can't be prosecuted under California law because the statute of limitation has expired.

Peters was one of the country's top coaches in the 1980s, and his SCATS gym produced several national team members. He was coach of the U.S. team at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, where the Americans won eight medals, including Mary Lou Retton's gold in the all-around.

USA Gymnastics requires its professional members, which include coaches and gym owners, to undergo criminal background checks every two years. The federation also has a participant welfare policy that includes standards of behavior for coaches and staff members as well as reporting procedures if abuse is suspected. Sanctions for those who violate USA Gymnastics' code of conduct include termination of membership and/or a lifetime ban.

Ex-Olympic gymnastics coach Don Peters accused of sex abuse, banned for life - ESPN
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information