Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Notre Dame Linebacker and Heisman Finalist Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend Hoax

Thursday, January 24th 2013
    QOTD: Manti Te’o On The Rumor That He Loves Real Dick

While sitting in front of an FTD bouquet, Katie Couric asked Manti Te'o if he created a fake dead girlfriend to hide his gayness sort of the same way someone (I'm not naming names) might use a few dozen squirts of Jovan Musk to hide the scent of butt sex in their room after a particularly messy orgy. Man Titty O got all uncomfortable, like Tom Cruise uncomfortable, and then basically said that if you brought up Google Maps, hit the "Get Directions" button, typed his name in A, and typed "gay" in B, the blue line would go on forever. That's how far from gay he is.
    Katie: "One of the theories, many theories, Manti, making the rounds, is somehow you created this whole scenario to cover up your sexual orientation. Are you gay?
    Manti: "No, far from it. Faaaaaaaaaaaar from it."
    Then the audience laugh and I'm guessing it was one of those "bitch, please" laughs. My b-hole did twitch when he let out that long faaaaaaaaaaaa. Maybe dude doesn't crave dick, but that cardigan says otherwise. I think Zac Efron wore that same outfit in one of the High School Musicals. Do with that what you will.
    via Gossip Cop

Posted by: Michael K
    64 comments

Girlfriend PleaseManti Te'oQuote of the Day
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I'm still confused anout why this is a story. Is it because the sports media made a big flipping deal out of the story? I just cannot wrap my mind around where the story is. It's dumb, but there's no illegality, no major ethics breach, he didn't profit from the story. Why should I care?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I find it fascinating from a generational/societal perspective. The older generation is in disbelief that this guy could think he was in a relationship. Then they interviewed a group of people 18-24 who said they have lots of friends they have never met, and they consider those on-line friendships as important as the real life relationships.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I'm not sure what to believe, but I know stuff like this happens in real life because I used to be close friends with someone this sort of thing happened to. He "met" someone on line, exchanged photos, phone calls, etc. This "girl" lived a few cities away and they were planning to meet. This "girl" also had a male cousin or brother that she lived with and my friend had conversations with this guy at some point. Eventually, the two of them decided to meet and when my friend showed up at the place, the girl wasn't there but her cousin/brother was and he explained to my friend that the girl was in an accident or something and couldn't make it. I guess a lightbulb went off for my idiot friend and he suddenly realized that this guy was the girl had been talking to for the last few months. It took a long time for my friend to tell me and I think the only other person he ever told was his mother. He was so embarrassed and I think he felt like his sexuality was somehow in question. Bizarre I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I'm still confused anout why this is a story. Is it because the sports media made a big flipping deal out of the story? I just cannot wrap my mind around where the story is. It's dumb, but there's no illegality, no major ethics breach, he didn't profit from the story. Why should I care?
    Yeah, but just because he didn't break a law, doesn't mean it's not completely shitty and far-reaching. I think a lot of people are pissed off and I don't blame them. I don't know if it's some written rule of sportsmanship, but I think what Manti apparently tried to pull was amazingly unethical. Punking thousands of people so you can get a better shot at the Heisman and a NFL draft pick is pretty fucked up. Getting drafted is the same thing as profiting IMO, even if it is harder to prove in a court of law. So many people were singing his praises every chance they could and they played the hell out of the sympathy card. He basically just spit in the face of everyone who was standing behind him - his team, the coaches, the university, his fellow students, THE ALUMNI. God, the alumni alone ought to be fuming. If I were giving Notre Dame money and I found out this kind of fuckery were going on, I'd have a fit and want to know what the hell they're doing over there. And if I were one of his teammates, I'd be furious. Not only that, his coaches were sitting there making time for him, literally holding his hand, and giving him support for something that didn't happen. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone at ND doesn't get fired over this. I can't blame people for asking what the fuck happened.
    Laurent and southernbelle like this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I know real people get snookered all the time, but I think what makes this one hard to swallow for me is that he actually introduced the whole story in the media and let everyone know that he had a sick girlfriend and then let it be known when this girlfriend eventually died - while he's conveniently in the race for Heisman. He goes all in and says he's seen her and all these details about their relationship, when no one would've known or cared if he hadn't spread it himself. That to me looks suspect and like he bailed on the story when it unraveled after some suspicious reporter got his teeth in it.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I know real people get snookered all the time, but I think what makes this one hard to swallow for me is that he actually introduced the whole story in the media and let everyone know that he had a sick girlfriend and then let it be known when this girlfriend eventually died - while he's conveniently in the race for Heisman. He goes all in and says he's seen her and all these details about their relationship, when no one would've known or cared if he hadn't spread it himself. That to me looks suspect and like he bailed on the story when it unraveled after some suspicious reporter got his teeth in it.
    That's exactly it. I have no doubt in my mind that people get fooled every day, like that Jesse James story and the one Kris mentioned and I've seen it happen myself. It's way too suspicious when you factor in the Heisman and the lies he did tell to the media. I wouldn't even have known or remembered him if he didn't put that story out there himself. A lot of college football players have genuine hard luck stories, but you don't hear about them to the extent that you heard about this false one.
    card likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

Even if he and Notre Dame were fooled at some point, the fact is that after they found out it was a hoax, they did nothing to discourage the media from continuing to push the sob story as if it were true. They continued to milk it for attention and sympathy right up until the article hit that blew their story to pieces and forced them to stop.

No authorities were notified, despite the fact that there appeared to be instances of fraud associated with this. Alumni and fans were being encouraged to make monetary donations in this girl's name. Would all of the donors who contributed to the cancer research fund have made those donations if they knew Lennay Kekua was a hoax? Donations were solicited, even if it was for a good cause, under false pretenses. Manti supposedly sent flowers to her funeral. Where did the money for those flowers go? Who received the payment for the flowers, or the flowers themselves, if the funeral he thought he sent them to didn't exist? Manti has also revealed that on more than one occasion, "Lennay" had tried to get him to give her his bank account information. Authorities should have been notified immediately. Anyone who donated to a fund associated with "Lennay Kekua" should have been notified immediately.

Notre Dame's private investigation was done for no purpose other than to cover Notre Dame's ass and possibly to avoid or negate an NCAA investigation that could result in sanctions (and I hope that ND does face sanctions for the major ethics violations associated with their part in this cover up). This school thinks it is untouchable and expects us to believe that a private investigation it pays for which finds them to be without fault is valid. I'm not buying it, and I hope the NCAA doesn't either. The investigative team ND used did not even look at e-mail and phone records (crucial when the entire communication was online and by phone), yet they were somehow able to discern that Manti was being truthful and was not involved and that ND has no culpability in this either. Even ND players have stated that they knew or at the very least heavily suspected the whole thing was a hoax.

Rather than acknowledge their mistake and admit that the girlfriend did not exist, Manti and Notre Dame chose to perpetuate the lie. That strips them of the "victim" title they are claiming. I don't believe they had any intention of coming clean and if the Deadspin article hadn't hit, they'd probably still be milking the story of Manti's dead girlfriend and Notre Dame's amazing perseverance in the face of tragedy.
    card, Waterslide and Laurent like this.

Southernbelle, I agree with you about ND thinking they're untouchable. They have shit going on, and somehow or another, it just gets swept under the carpet. In October of 2010, there was a really bad windstorm. REALLY bad, 60mph wind. ND INSISTED on going on with football practice, and insisted on having their video kid film it. On one of those scissor-like elevated lifts, at the end of the field. The kid had tweeted how scared he was. Sure enough, the scissor lift fell, and Declan Sullivan died from his injuries, because at Notre Dame nothing gets in the way of football. And even though there was an "investigation", there was never anything done. The football team should've called off practice for the day, or at least let the poor kid get off the lift, but it's too important to video all the practices too! My son went to high school with Declan Sullivan.
    Waterslide and Laurent like this.

I totally agree with everything you said, southernbelle. There are so many different reasons why this is so wrong, it's dizzying.

Quote Originally Posted by card View Post
    Southernbelle, I agree with you about ND thinking they're untouchable. They have shit going on, and somehow or another, it just gets swept under the carpet. In October of 2010, there was a really bad windstorm. REALLY bad, 60mph wind. ND INSISTED on going on with football practice, and insisted on having their video kid film it. On one of those scissor-like elevated lifts, at the end of the field. The kid had tweeted how scared he was. Sure enough, the scissor lift fell, and Declan Sullivan died from his injuries, because at Notre Dame nothing gets in the way of football. And even though there was an "investigation", there was never anything done. The football team should've called off practice for the day, or at least let the poor kid get off the lift, but it's too important to video all the practices too! My son went to high school with Declan Sullivan.
    I remember that happening. That was a sad story.

The thing about college athletics is that even though the players don't get paid (or shouldn't be getting "paid"), it's still big business. I don't really believe it's all about the money to the majority of the players, but I do think it's about money to pretty much everyone else involved.
    Laurent and card like this.
    ~Manx Mouse

Yeah I can't get over how this was such a blow-up-in-your-face-type story. Talk about getting busted in the worst way, and all for a Heisman and football career. Damn.

The thing that makes me unsure whether he was involved was the photo the guy asked the girl to pose for with the sign. That seemed to me like it was part of the story to trick Manti. He could have known about it but what was the point of the sign if not to try and fool Manti that she was real?
    card and dilligaf like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    The thing that makes me unsure whether he was involved was the photo the guy asked the girl to pose for with the sign. That seemed to me like it was part of the story to trick Manti. He could have known about it but what was the point of the sign if not to try and fool Manti that she was real?
    Manti may have been fooled at first, and then just decided to run with it after he found out it was a hoax because he liked the attention he was getting with his 'my girlfriend was in a coma and now she has cancer!!!' sob story. Another alternative is that Manti was in on it the whole time, and that he and Ronaiah wanted a face to put on the 'dead girlfriend' they'd invented. They chose this girl and then asked her to take specific pictures that would give some credibility to their story.

Even if he wasn't involved in the creation of Lennay Kekua, he was absolutely involved in lying to people about her existence and duping the nation when he decided not to set the story straight and continued to talk about her as if she were real after finding out that she was not.

I figure the staged pictures were for the public's benefit to prop up their story and not to convince Manti.
    chartreuse and southernbelle like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I saw parts of his Katie Couric interview and thought he sounded dumb as a box of rocks. I bet he's a virgin too. When she asked him if he was gay, he said "far from it--FARRRR from it" (as if that were the worst thing in the world) with these big wide eyes. C'mon dude, if you're such a big macho hetero stud, then why the imaginary girlfriend, instead of a real one?
    dilligaf likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information