Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: NFL Legend Junior Seau Dead - Cops Suspect Suicide

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    No, why do you ask? Where I am from Samoans are a minority group, I went to school with some, but not lots.
    I got confused when you mentioned your family having a party when he got drafted. I couldn't tell if it was because he was a local guy or because maybe you guys were part of the Samoan community. Thanks for the reply!

I have heard of people commiting suicide by a chest wound, or another less messy method, so the family can have an open casket. A bullet to the brain would usually result in a closed casket.

The whole thing is sad. I feel for his kids and family. His poor Mother....

So this Dave Duerson did kill himself and wanted his brain studied? Hmmm,...I will have to google him.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I got confused when you mentioned your family having a party when he got drafted. I couldn't tell if it was because he was a local guy or because maybe you guys were part of the Samoan community. Thanks for the reply!
    No, just some of my family knew him because he went to the local schools with them in the 80's.

There's not a lot of famous people who lived or grew up around here in northern San Diego County. But Eric Clapton use to own a home nearby and so did Walt Disney. Lawrence Welk too. Denise Richards went to a local high school. Tony Hawk grew up around here and I know lots of people who know him personally (he's an ass). A random one is an actor from the show Step by Step (he plays the older brother), my friend lived next to him and it was weird seeing him because we loved that show as kids. Ike Turner lived down the street from my husband's friend in a retirement community. There's a few others I can't think of now, but Seau was a big deal because he was a nice guy and loyal to his hometown and the fact that famous people don't live around here.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    No, just some of my family knew him because he went to the local schools with them in the 80's.

There's not a lot of famous people who lived or grew up around here in northern San Diego County. But Eric Clapton use to own a home nearby and so did Walt Disney. Lawrence Welk too. Denise Richards went to a local high school. Tony Hawk grew up around here and I know lots of people who know him personally (he's an ass). A random one is an actor from the show Step by Step (he plays the older brother), my friend lived next to him and it was weird seeing him because we loved that show as kids. Ike Turner lived down the street from my husband's friend in a retirement community. There's a few others I can't think of now, but Seau was a big deal because he was a nice guy and loyal to his hometown and the fact that famous people don't live around here.
    Wow, that's a lot of people. That Step-by-Step guy - was it Sasha something?

Hawk was the guy who ran off with his agent's wife or something like that wasn't he?

A lot of people have had a lot of nice things to say about what an extroverted, charismatic, nice guy Seau was.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of people. That Step-by-Step guy - was it Sasha something?

Hawk was the guy who ran off with his agent's wife or something like that wasn't he?

A lot of people have had a lot of nice things to say about what an extroverted, charismatic, nice guy Seau was.
    No, that wife beater Sasha guy was the cousin on the show, I think. I looked him up, it's Brandon Call, he was the older brother on the show. It must have been a year or two after the show ended. We were surprised he lived by our high school because although the houses were new, they were in a middle class neighborhood. He was married to a pretty brunette and had a little girl (maybe 1 or 2 years old back then), I worked at a pizza place in high school and they would come in, he was always polite. Looks like he's divorced now, that sucks.

Tony Hawk is just a flat out arrogant ahole who has cheated on every wife he has ever had. No one was surprised his 3rd wife and him split.

Junior Seau Autopsy -- No Drugs, No Alcohol in System | TMZ.com

Junior Seau was completely sober when he shot himself in the chest back in May ... and his cause of death has been ruled as a suicide ... this according to the San Diego medical examiner.

TMZ obtained the autopsy report, filed by Deputy Medical Examiner Craig Nelson ... which shows Seau died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest from a .357 caliber revolver on May 2, 2012.

The report also shows "No alcohol, common drugs of abuse, or other medications were detected."

However, a small amount of Zolpidem (aka ambien) and Naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) were detected ... but the M.E. says test results were "consistent with therapeutic use."

The report notes that Seau's brain tissue was sent to the National Institutes of Health at the request of his family.

According to the report, Junior did not leave a suicide note.

Read more: Junior Seau Autopsy -- No Drugs, No Alcohol in System | TMZ.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Junior Seau had brain disease CTE

Junior Seau, a star for 20 NFL seasons, committed suicide last May.
    AP

Junior Seau, one of the NFL's best and fiercest players for two decades, suffered from a degenerative brain disease often associated with repeated blows to the head when he committed suicide last May, the National Institutes of Health said in a study released Thursday.
    The NIH, based in Bethesda, Md., said Seau's brain revealed abnormalities consistent with chronic traumatic encephalopathy or CTE. It said that the study included unidentified brains, one of which was Seau's, and that the findings on Seau were similar to autopsies of people "with exposure to repetitive head injuries."
    Seau's family requested the analysis of his brain.
    The star linebacker played for 20 NFL seasons with San Diego, Miami and New England before retiring in 2009. He died of a self-inflicted shotgun wound.
    He joins a list of several dozen football players who were found to have CTE. Boston University's center for study of the disease reported last month that 34 former pro players and nine who played only college football suffered from CTE.
    "I was not surprised after learning a little about CTE that he had it," Seau's 23-year-old son Tyler said. "He did play so many years at that level. I was more just kind of angry I didn't do something more and have the awareness to help him more, and now it is too late.
    "I don't think any of us were aware of the side effects that could be going on with head trauma until he passed away. We didn't know his behavior was from head trauma."
    TROTTER: FRED MCCRARY RECALLS COLLISION WITH SEAU
    That behavior, according to Tyler Seau and Junior's ex-wife Gina, included wild mood swings, irrationality, forgetfulness, insomnia and depression.
    The NFL faces lawsuits by thousands of former players who say the league withheld information on the harmful effects concussions. According to an AP review of 175 lawsuits, 3,818 players have sued. At least 26 Hall of Famer members are among the players who have done so.
    Seau is not the first former NFL player who killed himself, then was found to have CTE. Dave Duerson and Ray Easterling are the others.
    "He emotionally detached himself and would kind of `go away' for a little bit," Tyler Seau said. "And then the depression and things like that. It started to progressively get worse."
    He hid it well in public, they said. But not when he was with family or close friends.
    Dr. Russell Lonser, who oversaw the study, said Seau's brain was "independently evaluated by multiple experts, in a blind fashion."
    "We had the opportunity to get multiple experts involved in a way they wouldn't be able to directly identify his tissue even if they knew he was one of the individuals studied," he said.
    The National Football League, in an email to the AP, said: "We appreciate the Seau family's cooperation with the National Institutes of Health. The finding underscores the recognized need for additional research to accelerate a fuller understanding of CTE.
    "The NFL, both directly and in partnership with the NIH, Centers for Disease Control and other leading organizations, is committed to supporting a wide range of independent medical and scientific research that will both address CTE and promote the long-term health and safety of athletes at all levels."
    NFL teams have given a $30 million research grant to the NIH.
    Before shooting himself, Duerson, a former Chicago Bears defensive back, left a note asking that his brain be studied for signs of trauma. His family filed a wrongful-death suit against the NFL, claiming the league didn't do enough to prevent or treat the concussions that severely damaged his brain.
    Easterling played safety for the Falcons in the 1970s. After his career, he suffered from dementia, depression and insomnia, according to his wife, Mary Ann. He committed suicide last April.
    Mary Ann Easterling is among the plaintiffs who have sued the NFL.
    "It was important to us to get to the bottom of this, the truth," Gina Seau said, "and now that it has been conclusively determined from every expert that he had obviously had it, CTE, we just hope it is taken more seriously.
    "You can't deny it exists, and it is hard to deny there is a link between head trauma and CTE. There's such strong evidence correlating head trauma and collisions and CTE."
    Tyler Seau played football through high school and for two years in college. He says he has no symptoms of brain trauma.
    Gina Seau's son Jake, now a high school junior, played football for two seasons but has switched to lacrosse and has been recruited to play at Duke.
    "Lacrosse is really his sport and what he is passionate about," she said. "He is a good football player and probably could continue. But especially now watching what his dad went through, he says, `Why would I risk lacrosse for football?'
    "I didn't have to have a discussion with him after we saw what Junior went through."
    Her 12-year-old son, Hunter, has shown no interest in playing football.
    "That's fine with me," she said.
    Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read More: Junior Seau had brain disease CTE - NFL - SI.com
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Bless him. He was smart to bail out while he could.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Poor guy. I think this disease is going to become more common as people become more aware. It's common sense that your brain and body should not be hit over and over and will suffer from it. My husband played varsity football all 4 years in high school, was one of the best kickers in California, and got offered scholarships to play college football at several great schools. He decided not to go that route and I am hoping our son will not want to be a football player when he gets to high school... I don't know if I will agree to it.

Default Junior Seau's Family Sues NFL Over Brain Injuries

The family of Junior Seau has sued the NFL, claiming the former linebacker's suicide was the result of brain disease caused by violent hits he sustained while playing football.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed Wednesday in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its "acts or omissions" that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. It says Seau developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from those hits, and accuses the NFL of deliberately ignoring and concealing evidence of the risks associated with traumatic brain injuries.

Seau died at age 43 of a self-inflicted gunshot in May. He was diagnosed with CTE, based on posthumous tests, earlier this month.

An Associated Press review in November found that more than 3,800 players have sued the NFL over head injuries in at least 175 cases as the concussion issue has gained attention in recent years. More than 100 of the concussion lawsuits have been brought together before U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody in Philadelphia.

"Our attorneys will review it and respond to the claims appropriately through the court," the NFL said in a statement Wednesday.

Helmet manufacturer Riddell Inc., also is being sued by the Seaus, who say Riddell was "negligent in their design, testing, assembly, manufacture, marketing, and engineering of the helmets" used by NFL players. The suit says the helmets were unreasonably dangerous and unsafe.

Seau was one of the best linebackers during his 20 seasons in the NFL. He retired in 2009.

"We were saddened to learn that Junior, a loving father and teammate, suffered from CTE," the family said in a statement released to the AP. "While Junior always expected to have aches and pains from his playing days, none of us ever fathomed that he would suffer a debilitating brain disease that would cause him to leave us too soon.

"We know this lawsuit will not bring back Junior. But it will send a message that the NFL needs to care for its former players, acknowledge its decades of deception on the issue of head injuries and player safety, and make the game safer for future generations."

Plaintiffs are listed as Gina Seau, Junior's ex-wife; Junior's children Tyler, Sydney, Jake and Hunter, and Bette Hoffman, trustee of Seau's estate.

The lawsuit accuses the league of glorifying the violence in pro football, and creating the impression that delivering big hits "is a badge of courage which does not seriously threaten one's health."

It singles out NFL Films and some of its videos for promoting the brutality of the game.

"In 1993's `NFL Rocks,' Junior Seau offered his opinion on the measure of a punishing hit: `If I can feel some dizziness, I know that guy is feeling double (that)," the suit says.

The NFL consistently has denied allegations similar to those in the lawsuit.

"The NFL, both directly and in partnership with the NIH, Centers for Disease Control and other leading organizations, is committed to supporting a wide range of independent medical and scientific research that will both address CTE and promote the long-term health and safety of athletes at all levels," the league told the AP after it was revealed Seau had CTE.

The lawsuit claims money was behind the NFL's actions.

"The NFL knew or suspected that any rule changes that sought to recognize that link (to brain disease) and the health risk to NFL players would impose an economic cost that would significantly and adversely change the profit margins enjoyed by the NFL and its teams," the Seaus said in the suit.

The National Institutes of Health, based in Bethesda, Md., studied three unidentified brains, one of which was Seau's, and said the findings on Seau were similar to autopsies of people "with exposure to repetitive head injuries."

"It was important to us to get to the bottom of this, the truth," Gina Seau told the AP then. "And now that it has been conclusively determined from every expert that he had obviously had CTE, we just hope it is taken more seriously. You can't deny it exists, and it is hard to deny there is a link between head trauma and CTE. There's such strong evidence correlating head trauma and collisions and CTE."

In the final years of his life, Seau went through wild behavior swings, according to Gina and to 23-year-old son, Tyler. There also were signs of irrationality, forgetfulness, insomnia and depression.
    "He emotionally detached himself and would kind of `go away' for a little bit," Tyler Seau said. "And then the depression and things like that. It started to progressively get worse."

Junior Seau's Family Sues NFL Over Brain Injuries
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

That's so sad. I hope they make new rules or do something to avoid this kind of damage from hard hits. I bet the NFL will drag their feet on this because they'll think it would make the sport "less interesting."

I knew the family would end up suing. No one made the guy play football,..and anyone that plays the game knows that there are many ways it is dangerous. It is a contact sport for Christs sake. They are purposely slamming themselves into each other for the love of the game, the money and fame. I don't think you should be able to sue later. That is like smokers suing nowdays after their loved one dies. Anyone born in the last 30 plus years knows the shit causes cancer.
    greysfang and Laurent like this.

I heard over the weekend that there are 3800+ pending lawsuits involving the NFL regarding the CTE issue.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yes, they got hurt at work and should be entitled to some compensation like anyone else who got hurt at work did. However, the NFL has a very good pension/insurance plan. They're being taking care of and its just greedy to sue for more since they KNEW what they were getting into. There is no helmet that's going to stop head injuries in such a violent game.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information