Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs (2010)

Now THAT was a good game. Pretty intense until the end.

Ray Allen was unreal, but Rondo showed he's the real deal, key plays at all the right times. It's those little things that kill you.

It's gonna be rocking Tuesday night, can't wait.

Ray Allen is just awesome. back to Boston baybay
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Shit. Seven three pointers in a row..in a row! It was an interesting game...too bad about the ending. When was the last time Kobe had that many fouls?

The Lakers had better win Tuesday night.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Garnetts gonna have to break out of his death roll, and step up his game. But, Boston will win.

i need Football season to start, i feel so alone during BB season. At least with Football, i have Kingcap on my side.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

(now these fair weather wishy washy sports columnists are picking on artest)

For Artest, Lakers, easy comes and goes - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

LOS ANGELES – Got to look at the tape, Ron Artest(notes) said. He sat in front of his
    locker trying to make sense of how the Los Angeles Lakers had come apart, and, yes, this would seem to be a subject on which he could speak with some conviction. If there’s a universal authority on the subject of coming unhinged, it’s Ron Artest.

No matter. The questions kept coming, and Artest kept giving some variation of the same answer.

Got to look at the tape.

Maybe it’s that simple. Maybe the Lakers cued up the video on their flight to Boston Monday and saw how they unraveled in the fourth quarter of Game 2 of the NBA Finals, how Rajon Rondoseized control of the series for the Celtics, how the officials
    saddled Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom with five fouls. Maybe they learned a few
    things and come back with a better plan for Game 3.

But somewhere in the film, Artest inevitably made his own appearance. Late in the game, clock ticking down, Lakers trying to make one final, desperate push, he dribbled, hesitated, dribbled some more … dribbled some more … dribbled some more … and finally hoisted a long jump shot that missed. He appeared to wander aimlessly during the possession as if he were dribbling crop circles into the court. And for this, there is no answer, no solution, no 48-hour fix.

This was Ron being Ron, and that’s why the Lakers will forever worry.

Said Lakers coach Phil Jackson: “It’s one of the more unusual sequences I’ve ever witnessed.”

The Houston Rockets will likely laugh at that, as will the Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls. They each lived with Artest’s eccentricities until they couldn’t anymore. But none of them had to dance with him on this stage. None dared to bring Artest to the NBA Finals.

This is what the Lakers got when they essentially swapped Trevor Ariza(notes) for Artest in the summer. The lows can be tortuously low and the highs can be tremendously high, as when Artest grabbed Kobe Bryant’s miss and banked in a shot at the buzzer to beat the Phoenix Suns in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, saving, perhaps, the Lakers’ season. Two nights later, Artest scored 25 points to help Bryant push L.A. into the NBA Finals, and Jackson had just one explanation for the remarkable performance.

“The Lord,” he said, “was with him.”

The basketball gods were smiling on Artest and, deep down, Jackson knew it wouldn’t last. It never does with Artest. He played well in the Finals opener, harassing Paul Pierce(notes) and contributing 15 points on 10 shots, and afterward
    everyone wanted to talk about how he’d spent $18,000 to give a pair of random fans courtside seats and motivated himself by listening to swing music. But then came Sunday. Artest again locked up Pierce, but he also wreaked havoc on the other end of the floor, taking 10 shots and missing nine of them. Too many times, he rushed the Lakers’ offense – or dribbled it into the ground – when Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum
    were having their way inside.

Artest wasn’t the only culprit. The offense also stagnated with Bryant, and a quick whistle by the refs seemingly put half the Lakers’ rotation into foul trouble. Odom played just 15 minutes and now has only eight points and nine rebounds in the series, raising questions whether he’s again haunted by the Celtics ghosts of two years ago. Had Odom been more productive or been able to stay on the floor, perhaps Jackson wouldn’t have felt the need to play Artest 41 minutes.

The Lakers’ fortunes can change for the better just as easily with a change in the officiating crew. Bryant will likely see his mistakes and Ray Allen isn’t likely to throw in another eight 3-pointers. But what the Lakers can’t predict – what no one can predict – is Artest. He’s forever the Great Unknown, a dynamic defensive talent who can just as easily disrupt his own team’s offense. The Lakers have long been used to Odom drifting in and out games, but they can’t survive with both of their forwards going AWOL.

Jackson attributed Artest’s bizarre antics at the end of the game to Artest trying to “redeem himself,” perhaps for a forced pass he had thrown away earlier. This speaks to Artest’s hero complex and why he’s prone to follow one mistake with two or three more. He always wants to impress. His success from the preceding three games only stirred his urges. This is also why the Lakers will try to convince Artest his defense on Pierce can be contribution enough.

“I’ll have a conversation with him,” Jackson said.

Artest was already looking ahead to Game 3. He didn’t know what he had done wrong, if anything, but he was sure he’d find the answers somewhere in the film.

“I think I need to look at the tape to see if I can improve,” he said.

“Trying too hard? I don’t know that I was trying too hard. Maybe just play better. Basically, play better – team-wise first and individually second. … I’ve been through this already, where I had a bad game and then I bounced back the next time.”

The Lakers have this much going for them: Nothing ever stays too bad or too good with Artest for too long. Cue the tape and the string music. Two nights and 2,600 miles later, maybe the basketball gods start smiling again.

Ron Artest shoots his way to infamy - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

It was almost comical, this stereotype gone mad. One of the worst shooting exhibitions I've seen, at this level, in a long time. Tossing out the "in a long time" qualifier, by the way, because I can't think of anything worse than it right now, and I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm hoping there was something worse than this. There probably wasn't.

Ron Artest(notes) shot 1-for-10 in Game 2, scoring six points, turning the ball over three times and fouling out in the process. It wasn't just that he shot miserably in a game that should have been a notch in his belt (holding Paul Pierce(notes) on the other end to 2-of-11 shooting), but it was the way he put up those 10 shots.

Terrible looks, mostly uncalled-for, seriously team-crippling.

If anything, Artest's play did away with a notion that I find particularly distasteful, one that states that anything he gives you on offense (if Paul Pierce is shooting 2-of-11) is gravy, and that he has to be a pretty destructive force on offense in order to mitigate his fabulous contributions defensively.

Well, in Game 2, he was a destructive force. This wasn't one bad game leading to another, and I'm certainly not giving Ron extra points because Paul Pierce isn't supposed to shoot 2-for-11, so an even/crummy game from the both of them is a win for Ron. No way. Not with those missed Laker chances. Not with the game Ron just came through with. If he scores five points on 2-of-5 shooting, that's gravy. Ten shots like that? That kills your team.

Save for three of the 10 shots, all were tossed up on broken plays of Ron's creation, with double figures on the shot clock. A couple were with more than 20 seconds left on the shot clock. One came after Ron decided to try and cross Glen Davis(notes) over, moving left, and pulling up for a 3-pointer with 20 seconds on the shot clock. In the fourth quarter, no less.

Two other looks came when the Lakers had no other chance - one to nearly close the first half as Kobe Bryant(notes) was triple-teamed, the other after the ball had swung around the Laker perimeter and the shot clock was dwindling - but otherwise this was Ron going off on his own, killing the offense.

One bomb, in particular, was the most egregious. I'm sure you remember what I'm talking about.

With 70 seconds left in the game and the Lakers down eight, needing a quick score in any style, Artest goes about dribbling with his left hand from the right side of the court to the left, desperate to get behind the 3-point arc. How he didn't turn the ball over, I don't know, though I'm assuming the Celtics were as astonished as we were watching this train wreck amble along the tracks.

Artest pulls up from behind the 3-point arc with 12 seconds left on the clock, after dribbling away the previous 11 seconds, and finds that he has no shot. Undeterred, he steps on the 3-point line, lunges ahead of Paul Pierce to fire up a long 3-pointer with 11 seconds left on the shot clock. The sort of shot you try at the buzzer, or if you're some scrub trying to get enough points for a triple-double late in the game. And he tries it toward the end of a Finals game, a long two, with 11 seconds left on the shot clock.

Astonishingly poor shot selection. And he missed five of eight free throws, too.

I'm not going to laud the outcome. Not making excuses for Pierce, nor am I trying to buttress my point, but go back and look at some of Pierce's misses. These were makeable shots, and while Artest played great defense on him, Pierce could have easily made half his shots in this game. He just could not connect.

And, for whatever reason, the Lakers just aren't connecting with Artest. He's done well, for most of this season, to keep those nutbar offensive instincts in check, and he should be applauded for that. But in a game that sees Pau Gasol shoot 7-of-10 and Kobe Bryant, last we checked, suit up for the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday, the only way to describe Artest's offensive play in any meaningful way would be to call it "destructive."

Because Pierce's poor night does not matter. Doing your job (moving your feet, getting a hand up) and seeing Pierce respond poorly (sometimes you can do your job, and watch as your man knocks in shot after shot) does not allow you to play anywhere near this poorly on the other end, and while I'm not going to credit Artest with the Laker loss in Game 2, clearly he put his team at a disadvantage overall.

He wasn't alone in making curious plays. Kobe Bryant needlessly doubled Kevin Garnett(notes) (six assists) a few times. Before Phil Jackson could confer with his coaching staff as to whether or not to leave Lamar Odom out on the court with two fouls, LO had picked up his third. Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown took some iffy shots, and the whole team could have done better in trying to find Pau Gasol.

But Ron, as he tends to do, stood out. It'd be laughable if it were against the Grizzlies in February. Maybe. But you're playing the Celtics, in June, and you just dribbled with your off-hand for 13 seconds before launching a lunging 22-foot 2-pointer while falling away from a defender who beat you to the spot.

It's pretty sad that, in this team's 102nd game, the Lakers will have to find a way to keep the ball out of their own player's hands in Game 3, but that's how it's going to have to roll if Ron keeps acting this way. And in spite of mostly good behavior during the regular season, we have no reason to believe that he'll be stopping any time soon. If he doesn't know by now, he'll never know.

But believe me. The Lakers know. Do they ever.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    (now these fair weather wishy washy sports columnists are picking on artest)

For Artest, Lakers, easy comes and goes - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

LOS ANGELES – Got to look at the tape, Ron Artest(notes) said. He sat in front of his
    locker trying to make sense of how the Los Angeles Lakers had come apart, and, yes, this would seem to be a subject on which he could speak with some conviction. If there’s a universal authority on the subject of coming unhinged, it’s Ron Artest.

No matter. The questions kept coming, and Artest kept giving some variation of the same answer.

Got to look at the tape.

Maybe it’s that simple. Maybe the Lakers cued up the video on their flight to Boston Monday and saw how they unraveled in the fourth quarter of Game 2 of the NBA Finals, how Rajon Rondoseized control of the series for the Celtics, how the officials
    saddled Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom with five fouls. Maybe they learned a few
    things and come back with a better plan for Game 3.

But somewhere in the film, Artest inevitably made his own appearance. Late in the game, clock ticking down, Lakers trying to make one final, desperate push, he dribbled, hesitated, dribbled some more … dribbled some more … dribbled some more … and finally hoisted a long jump shot that missed. He appeared to wander aimlessly during the possession as if he were dribbling crop circles into the court. And for this, there is no answer, no solution, no 48-hour fix.

This was Ron being Ron, and that’s why the Lakers will forever worry.

Said Lakers coach Phil Jackson: “It’s one of the more unusual sequences I’ve ever witnessed.”

The Houston Rockets will likely laugh at that, as will the Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls. They each lived with Artest’s eccentricities until they couldn’t anymore. But none of them had to dance with him on this stage. None dared to bring Artest to the NBA Finals.

This is what the Lakers got when they essentially swapped Trevor Ariza(notes) for Artest in the summer. The lows can be tortuously low and the highs can be tremendously high, as when Artest grabbed Kobe Bryant’s miss and banked in a shot at the buzzer to beat the Phoenix Suns in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, saving, perhaps, the Lakers’ season. Two nights later, Artest scored 25 points to help Bryant push L.A. into the NBA Finals, and Jackson had just one explanation for the remarkable performance.

“The Lord,” he said, “was with him.”

The basketball gods were smiling on Artest and, deep down, Jackson knew it wouldn’t last. It never does with Artest. He played well in the Finals opener, harassing Paul Pierce(notes) and contributing 15 points on 10 shots, and afterward
    everyone wanted to talk about how he’d spent $18,000 to give a pair of random fans courtside seats and motivated himself by listening to swing music. But then came Sunday. Artest again locked up Pierce, but he also wreaked havoc on the other end of the floor, taking 10 shots and missing nine of them. Too many times, he rushed the Lakers’ offense – or dribbled it into the ground – when Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum
    were having their way inside.

Artest wasn’t the only culprit. The offense also stagnated with Bryant, and a quick whistle by the refs seemingly put half the Lakers’ rotation into foul trouble. Odom played just 15 minutes and now has only eight points and nine rebounds in the series, raising questions whether he’s again haunted by the Celtics ghosts of two years ago. Had Odom been more productive or been able to stay on the floor, perhaps Jackson wouldn’t have felt the need to play Artest 41 minutes.

The Lakers’ fortunes can change for the better just as easily with a change in the officiating crew. Bryant will likely see his mistakes and Ray Allen isn’t likely to throw in another eight 3-pointers. But what the Lakers can’t predict – what no one can predict – is Artest. He’s forever the Great Unknown, a dynamic defensive talent who can just as easily disrupt his own team’s offense. The Lakers have long been used to Odom drifting in and out games, but they can’t survive with both of their forwards going AWOL.

Jackson attributed Artest’s bizarre antics at the end of the game to Artest trying to “redeem himself,” perhaps for a forced pass he had thrown away earlier. This speaks to Artest’s hero complex and why he’s prone to follow one mistake with two or three more. He always wants to impress. His success from the preceding three games only stirred his urges. This is also why the Lakers will try to convince Artest his defense on Pierce can be contribution enough.

“I’ll have a conversation with him,” Jackson said.

Artest was already looking ahead to Game 3. He didn’t know what he had done wrong, if anything, but he was sure he’d find the answers somewhere in the film.

“I think I need to look at the tape to see if I can improve,” he said.

“Trying too hard? I don’t know that I was trying too hard. Maybe just play better. Basically, play better – team-wise first and individually second. … I’ve been through this already, where I had a bad game and then I bounced back the next time.”

The Lakers have this much going for them: Nothing ever stays too bad or too good with Artest for too long. Cue the tape and the string music. Two nights and 2,600 miles later, maybe the basketball gods start smiling again.

Ron Artest shoots his way to infamy - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

It was almost comical, this stereotype gone mad. One of the worst shooting exhibitions I've seen, at this level, in a long time. Tossing out the "in a long time" qualifier, by the way, because I can't think of anything worse than it right now, and I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm hoping there was something worse than this. There probably wasn't.

Ron Artest(notes) shot 1-for-10 in Game 2, scoring six points, turning the ball over three times and fouling out in the process. It wasn't just that he shot miserably in a game that should have been a notch in his belt (holding Paul Pierce(notes) on the other end to 2-of-11 shooting), but it was the way he put up those 10 shots.

Terrible looks, mostly uncalled-for, seriously team-crippling.

If anything, Artest's play did away with a notion that I find particularly distasteful, one that states that anything he gives you on offense (if Paul Pierce is shooting 2-of-11) is gravy, and that he has to be a pretty destructive force on offense in order to mitigate his fabulous contributions defensively.

Well, in Game 2, he was a destructive force. This wasn't one bad game leading to another, and I'm certainly not giving Ron extra points because Paul Pierce isn't supposed to shoot 2-for-11, so an even/crummy game from the both of them is a win for Ron. No way. Not with those missed Laker chances. Not with the game Ron just came through with. If he scores five points on 2-of-5 shooting, that's gravy. Ten shots like that? That kills your team.

Save for three of the 10 shots, all were tossed up on broken plays of Ron's creation, with double figures on the shot clock. A couple were with more than 20 seconds left on the shot clock. One came after Ron decided to try and cross Glen Davis(notes) over, moving left, and pulling up for a 3-pointer with 20 seconds on the shot clock. In the fourth quarter, no less.

Two other looks came when the Lakers had no other chance - one to nearly close the first half as Kobe Bryant(notes) was triple-teamed, the other after the ball had swung around the Laker perimeter and the shot clock was dwindling - but otherwise this was Ron going off on his own, killing the offense.

One bomb, in particular, was the most egregious. I'm sure you remember what I'm talking about.

With 70 seconds left in the game and the Lakers down eight, needing a quick score in any style, Artest goes about dribbling with his left hand from the right side of the court to the left, desperate to get behind the 3-point arc. How he didn't turn the ball over, I don't know, though I'm assuming the Celtics were as astonished as we were watching this train wreck amble along the tracks.

Artest pulls up from behind the 3-point arc with 12 seconds left on the clock, after dribbling away the previous 11 seconds, and finds that he has no shot. Undeterred, he steps on the 3-point line, lunges ahead of Paul Pierce to fire up a long 3-pointer with 11 seconds left on the shot clock. The sort of shot you try at the buzzer, or if you're some scrub trying to get enough points for a triple-double late in the game. And he tries it toward the end of a Finals game, a long two, with 11 seconds left on the shot clock.

Astonishingly poor shot selection. And he missed five of eight free throws, too.

I'm not going to laud the outcome. Not making excuses for Pierce, nor am I trying to buttress my point, but go back and look at some of Pierce's misses. These were makeable shots, and while Artest played great defense on him, Pierce could have easily made half his shots in this game. He just could not connect.

And, for whatever reason, the Lakers just aren't connecting with Artest. He's done well, for most of this season, to keep those nutbar offensive instincts in check, and he should be applauded for that. But in a game that sees Pau Gasol shoot 7-of-10 and Kobe Bryant, last we checked, suit up for the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday, the only way to describe Artest's offensive play in any meaningful way would be to call it "destructive."

Because Pierce's poor night does not matter. Doing your job (moving your feet, getting a hand up) and seeing Pierce respond poorly (sometimes you can do your job, and watch as your man knocks in shot after shot) does not allow you to play anywhere near this poorly on the other end, and while I'm not going to credit Artest with the Laker loss in Game 2, clearly he put his team at a disadvantage overall.

He wasn't alone in making curious plays. Kobe Bryant needlessly doubled Kevin Garnett(notes) (six assists) a few times. Before Phil Jackson could confer with his coaching staff as to whether or not to leave Lamar Odom out on the court with two fouls, LO had picked up his third. Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown took some iffy shots, and the whole team could have done better in trying to find Pau Gasol.

But Ron, as he tends to do, stood out. It'd be laughable if it were against the Grizzlies in February. Maybe. But you're playing the Celtics, in June, and you just dribbled with your off-hand for 13 seconds before launching a lunging 22-foot 2-pointer while falling away from a defender who beat you to the spot.

It's pretty sad that, in this team's 102nd game, the Lakers will have to find a way to keep the ball out of their own player's hands in Game 3, but that's how it's going to have to roll if Ron keeps acting this way. And in spite of mostly good behavior during the regular season, we have no reason to believe that he'll be stopping any time soon. If he doesn't know by now, he'll never know.

But believe me. The Lakers know. Do they ever.
    They are kind of putting too much on Artest-the Lakers made alot of mistakes and the blame can be fairly spread around without just making Artest the scapegoat. It was a team failure and a team loss. Shit happens. Alot of fouls, (Kobe and Odom) and alot of luck(as in seven three pointers in a row for the Celtics) made a big difference. Just a few things different and the Lakers could have won. No need for the hyped-up scapegoating. Geez. It is the finals, they are playing a very good team, what are they expected to do?-sweep the series in four straight? Please.

It will be a hard fought physical battle between two very good teams. It would not surprise me if it goes seven games. A little early for the handwringing and scapegoating. JMHO.

I'm waiting for another breakdown by Artest like when he was with the Pacers. Went into the stands after a soda was thrown at him. LOL
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Starting to get a bit nervous here..only an hour away....

*almost done with Rondo voodoo doll*

i usually dont get nervous until the 3rd quarter. Maybe i should drink haha
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I just don't have a good feeling about tonight.

That was straight Laker Pride, ha ha.

It seemed like yet another of those games that could have gone either way with the breaks.

That mental lapse the Celtics had at the end when they practically let fish go for the drive to the basket for the foul and three point play was unreal. When I saw that WIDE open path I was like, WTF. That was the nail in the coffin for the Celtics.

Fish was THE MAN as usual.

Allen was M.I.A.

i enjoyed the game but holy jebus what the hell was up with Ray Allen?
    dayum.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

That was straight Laker Pride, ha ha.

It seemed like yet another of those games that could have gone either way with the breaks.

That mental lapse the Celtics had at the end when they practically let fish go for the drive to the basket for the foul and three point play was unreal. When I saw that WIDE open path I was like, WTF. That was the nail in the coffin for the Celtics.

Fish was THE MAN as usual.

Allen was M.I.A.
    He is my favorite player. And my NBA crush gotta have one just for the fun of it.

and on to his opponent...

0 for 13?? Feel bad for him for that. It kinda takes the fun out of it a bit for me that I like the Celtics too(but just not as much as the Lakers, but hey, if they do happen to win out I will not be as crushed then, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    He is my favorite player. And my NBA crush gotta have one just for the fun of it.

and on to his opponent...

0 for 13?? Feel bad for him for that. It kinda takes the fun out of it a bit for me that I like the Celtics too(but just not as much as the Lakers, but hey, if they do happen to win out I will not be as crushed then, right?
    When he was in tears at the end being interviewed, I admit I got a bit teary eyed too. I knew how much this game and this series means to him above all, considering the criticism he's faced, the history and rivalry with this team and the way they were humiliated two years ago. He really put his whole heart into the game. I know there's more games to play but it was a must win.

But if Allen had played well, the Celtics could very well have won it, who would have thought he would have almost broken the record for shooting futility in a game.

When he was in tears at the end being interviewed, I admit I got a bit teary eyed too. I knew how much this game and this series means to him above all, considering the criticism he's faced, the history and rivalry with this team and the way they were humiliated two years ago. He really put his whole heart into the game. I know there's more games to play but it was a must win.

But if Allen had played well, the Celtics could very well have won it, who would have thought he would have almost broken the record for shooting futility in a game.
    For some reason I find Fish to be so damn attractive that I would lick the sweat off of him after a game. He just does it for me. I think he is a great player and team leader, and yeah yeah I know he is straight and has a lovely wife and beautiful family and all, but damn I would like to get at that.

I have been pestering the shit out of my boss to let me come in early on game days...so far he has relented. Do not want to miss anything.

He was like, "You mean you would call off if you were going to miss part of the game and make me stay here and work another ten or eleven hours? And I was .."uh..yeah.." He looked at me like I was ready for the nut bin.

But he is smitten with(of all creatures!)... Sarah Palin! So I start on that and he shuts up.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information