Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Michael Phelps, half-man/half fish wins 8th gold and beats Mark Spitz for record

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    uh oh, someone call spitz the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE
    no kidding. i'm kinda curious to see what he has to say.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Mark Spitz was so gracious when they interviewed him with Michael. He gave Michael all the credit and handled it with total class.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrybaby View Post
    Plus, Phelps closest win was especially impressive - the silver medalist tried to ride a single stroke to the wall. Phelps decided to take another stroke to give himself a push, pulled his arms back and got the extra momentum to touch first. It wasn't pure muscle - he swam smart too.
    Phelps admitted that his extra stoke was lucky and that's the only reason he won the gold. however, he also said it was a stupid stoke and as a swimmer you are trained not to take 1/2 strokes like that. The goal is to time your race properly and be able to have one final stroke and dive for the wall - basically what the silver medalist did. The guy who won silver was unlucky because he was a little long on that last stroke and had to glide for too long.

Not trying to discount Micheal's accomplishment. I think he's an amazing swimmer and I have utmost respect for him in that regard. He got super lucky in 2 races (400 free relay and 100 fly). I didn't watch all his interviews, but I do hope he gave ample credit to his relay team mates, esp. Jason Lezak who came through on 2 relay races.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information