Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Maria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian Open 2016

I don't like her, but two years does seem excessive. Can any of you tennis people tell me if that's a standard punishment in the tennis world?
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't like her, but two years does seem excessive. Can any of you tennis people tell me if that's a standard punishment in the tennis world?
    I think the tennis world is slow to catch up to PEDS. For the longest time it seems like there was no regimen at all.

I also think that all of them are on something. The people who get caught just can't afford the most expensive doping program.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    She could have gotten 4 years, so 2 seems fair to me. She knew exactly what she was doing, and should be punished for it. Too bad she is far from alone, and I believe tennis is full of dopers, especially at the top.

Here's the full ITF document with evidence that explains everything. What stood out for me is how she hid the fact she was taking Meldonium from her entire team. She's guilty as sin.

http://www.itftennis.com/media/231178/231178.pdf
    arie_skop likes this.

I heard that she defends her use of it by saying she didn't know it was a mistake, heavily implying that she didnt know the drug enhancss performance---but in the court documents it's clear that the true meaning of her words is that she didn't know was that the performance enhancing drug was banned.

i just read a rumor (hope that's all it is) that Rafa pulled out of the French Open due to a silent ban (drugs). Hope it's just people blowing hot air. i love me some Rafa
    arie_skop likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think the tennis world is slow to catch up to PEDS. For the longest time it seems like there was no regimen at all.

I also think that all of them are on something. The people who get caught just can't afford the most expensive doping program.
    I don't think it's fair to accuse all of them. And this meldonium Sharapova was taking is actually extremely cheap.

I agree, I think most of the players have taken something but the doping program and testing is a slow in the tennis world. Plus, I do wonder how many have been caught and it was kept quiet to keep the sport clean.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i just read a rumor (hope that's all it is) that Rafa pulled out of the French Open due to a silent ban (drugs). Hope it's just people blowing hot air. i love me some Rafa

I also heard this rumour yesterday that Nadal has been given a 'silent' ban which is why he pulled out of the French Open and now Wimbledon.

There seem to be a bunch of Russian athletes who tested positive on this drug and now are cleared from wrongdoing. Not saying that it is right but her punishment does seem excessive compared to that.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    I'm pretty sure this stuff has happened many times. I bet that many top players have pulled out due to being privately suspended.

Brennan: Maria Sharapova, world-class cheater

Christine Brennan, USA TODAY Sports1:21 a.m. EDT June 9, 2016

USA TODAY Sports' Nick McCar

(Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea, USA TODAY Sports)

If this is it for 29-year-old Maria Sharapova, and it certainly could be, it's such an inglorious ending.
    It's also a well-deserved one.
    When one of the world's iconic athletes willfully disregards repeated email warnings that a drug she has been taking for 10 years is being banned, and continues to use it after the ban, and hides the fact that she is taking it from her doctors, there's only one word for that kind of behavior: cheating.
    The International Tennis Federation suspended Sharapova for two years Wednesday for testing positive not once but twice in 2016 for the banned substance meldonium. She immediately said she will appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, hoping to lessen her suspension.
    We'll see how that goes, but either way, she will not be able to represent Russia at August's Olympic Games in Rio, and will likely miss the entirety of the 2016 Grand Slam season as well. Her ban is retroactive to the 2016 Australian Open, where she first was caught using the drug, so she would be allowed to return after the 2018 Australian Open, when she will be approaching her 31st birthday.
    Since her last Grand Slam victory came at the 2014 French Open, and since she hasn't played since a quarterfinal loss to Serena Williams at the Australian Open, and since she now has dropped to 26th in the world rankings, it's entirely possible we have seen the last of Sharapova as an elite tennis player.

Meldonium is a drug used to treat angina and heart failure in real life, but one that also has the wonderful side effect of increasing an athlete's endurance and energy levels. It was unknown to almost all of us outside of Russia until this spring. As we've learned more about it, it's clear there are real questions about how long it stays in an athlete's system. Could an athlete have taken it in 2015 when it wasn't on the banned list and still tested positive in 2016 when it was?
    This is a valid point, but it in no way pertains to Sharapova's case. She admitted to taking the drug in 2016, using the utterly inexcusable defense that she hadn't opened the emails all elite athletes routinely receive with updates about banned substances, including urgent and repeated warnings about meldonium in late 2015.
    What's more, the notion that she needed meldonium for legitimate health reasons is now seriously in doubt. An independent three-person ITF tribunal hearing her case determined that Sharapova went to great lengths to keep her use of meldonium a secret. In 2013, she actually stopped seeing the doctor who prescribed it for her, then failed to tell her new doctors that she was still taking it.
    Her story has been that she needed the drug to treat a magnesium deficiency, an irregular electrocardiograph and a family history of diabetes. If that was the case, why keep all that information from your doctors for three years?

As the ITF report damningly noted, "Whatever the position may have been in 2006, there was in 2016 no diagnosis and no therapeutic advice supporting the continuing use of (meldonium). If she had believed that there was a continuing medical need to use (meldonium) then she would have consulted a medical practitioner.
    "The manner of its use, on match days and when undertaking intensive training, is only consistent with an intention to boost her energy levels. It may be that she genuinely believed that (meldonium) had some general beneficial effect on her health but the manner in which the medication was taken, its concealment from the anti-doping authorities, her failure to disclose it even to her own team and the lack of any medical justification must inevitably lead to the conclusion that she took (meldonium) for the purpose of enhancing her performance."
    Maria Sharapova, five-time Grand Slam champion. And now, sadly, world-class cheater.

arie_skop likes this.

Maria Sharapova, up until this year, was the highest earning female athlete in the world. Serena Williams finally reached the #1 spot, she also has 21 grand slam titles and a career grand slam.

SERENA WILLIAMS IS NOW THE TOP EARNER IN WOMEN’S SPORTS

TANAJA HILL
    JUNE 9, 2016

According to Forbes, Serena Williams has raked in $28.9 million dollars in the past year, making her the top earner in women’s sports since Maria Sharapova is banned from playing tennis for the next two years.
    Sharapova had the title of top earner in women’s sports for the past 11 years. Her drug test after the 2016 Australian Open in Melbourne tested positive for a drug on the 2016 WADA Prohibited List, causing her to take a two year suspension and financial hit of anything between $1.9 million and $5 million dollars as she will not be able to fulfill her endorsement contract requirements.
    Serena Williams has a total of $77.6 million dollars in career prize money alone, double the amount of any other female athlete, according to Forbes. Williams has made several millions from endorsement bonuses for her record of 56 wins with only three losses in the 2015 tennis season.

Gold Member

The amount of meds and "supplements" she was on is insane.

I assume most of the top players like Serena, Raja, and Novak are pretty much walking pharmacies at this point.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    The amount of meds and "supplements" she was on is insane.

I assume most of the top players like Serena, Raja, and Novak are pretty much walking pharmacies at this point.
    I am totally, totally cynical about PED use among athletes. Time and again, we have seen that there has been rampant use and that people who administer PED's are often one step ahead of the labs testing for it.

Check out this page:

Tennis Has a Steroid Problem

Gold Member

I am totally, totally cynical about PED use among athletes. Time and again, we have seen that there has been rampant use and that people who administer PED's are often one step ahead of the labs testing for it.

Check out this page:

Tennis Has a Steroid Problem
    I've mentioned that blog before. It's pretty obvious.

It's pointed out the strange pull outs from tourney's for a long time. Serena has had plenty.
    arie_skop and MohandasKGanja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I've mentioned that blog before. It's pretty obvious.

It's pointed out the strange pull outs from tourney's for a long time. Serena has had plenty.

Plus that time she avoided the drug testers though she assumed they were intruders....

LOS ANGELES — Serena Williams fled to the panic room in her Los Angeles mansion when she mistook a sports association drug tester for a dangerous intruder.
    The tennis legend’s assistant called 911 around 6:00am local time last Wednesday and told the emergency operator that a prowler had been spotted at the luxurious property,TMZ reported.
    Williams retreated to her panic room in a bid to protect herself.
    Serena Williams locks herself in panic room in drug-test mix-up | New York Post
    joebob and MohandasKGanja like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information