Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: London Olympics Results *Spoilers*

NBC's coverage is an epic fail all around.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I'm going to say the same thing I said four years ago, these Chinese female gymnasts don't look old enough to be competing. You have to be 16 or turn 16 in the calendar year the Olympics is held, and I'd be surprised if some of them are over 14.
    McJag and Fran like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I admit I'm completely in the dark about the Olympics in general, but what was the deal with the gymnastic floor routines? Everybody kept going out of bounds. Is that normal?
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

No, not normal. The floor is spring loaded so they can get that bounce and lift, but it appeared springier than some of them were used to and they were putting too much power behind their passes, making them bounce too far up when they landed and jumping out of bounds.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    No, not normal. The floor is spring loaded so they can get that bounce and lift, but it appeared springier than some of them were used to and they were putting too much power behind their passes, making them bounce too far up when they landed and jumping out of bounds.
    ^Thanks for the info, that is what I wondered and thought, but didn't have the technical background to back it up. I have watched a lot of floor routines before and never saw anything like that. These girls can do this in their sleep and suddenly both the US and Russia sees girls tilting over and going out of bounds. It was strange to me.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

When did they change the rule in women's gymnastics that only 2 team members can qualify for all around competition? What a stupid rule. It should be the top 24 period. Jordyn Wieber is the reigning world champ and she won't be competing. Again, stupid.

And NBC's coverage is infuriating. I sit down to watch gymnastics, they show one event, and then switch to swimming. I like swimming but it took all night to see the gymnastics. I don't have that kind of time NBC!
    mjw and Fran like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    When did they change the rule in women's gymnastics that only 2 team members can qualify for all around competition? What a stupid rule. It should be the top 24 period. Jordyn Wieber is the reigning world champ and she won't be competing. Again, stupid.
    That came up on NBC this morning. Wieber had the number 4 score - OVERALL. And she won't be moving forward. So, it would seem that 20 other gymnasts who scored lower than her are moving forward and she is not.
    mjw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That came up on NBC this morning. Wieber had the number 4 score - OVERALL. And she won't be moving forward. So, it would seem that 20 other gymnasts who scored lower than her are moving forward and she is not.
    Exactly. She placed 4th and doesn't get a top 24 slot. It's ridiculous.
    dexter7 likes this.

It's one of those insane "we've always done it this way" rules that ruins watching the sport for many people, myself included. Even the NBC commentators, Elfi Schlegel and Tim Daggett, think it's a ridiculous requirement.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

do any of the other sports do that (i.e. swimming)? it makes absolutely no sense to not allow the best of the best to advance.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    do any of the other sports do that (i.e. swimming)? it makes absolutely no sense to not allow the best of the best to advance.
    I would think that this would not happen with any competition where you go to the next round based on speed (like in sprinting) or distance/weight (shotputting/clean and jerk). Because then you could have the theoretical prospect that the third-longest distance, or third-fastest time, doesn't get the bronze.

Gymnastics is unique in that it has three separate competitions inside each big one: team, all around, event finals.

So even if you get knocked out of aa, you can still get an individual gold medal and become 'olympic bars champion' at event finals. Wieber qualified for floor event finals. She can get an invidual medal there if she can hold it together.

The rule may seem silly, but on the other hand people freaked in 2000 when the Romanians swept all 3 aa medals.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; July 30th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Waterslide likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Gymnastics is unique in that it has three separate competitions inside each big one: team, all around, event finals.

So even if you get knocked out of aa, you can still get an individual gold medal and become 'olympic bars champion' at event finals. Wieber qualified for floor event finals. She can get an invidual medal there if she can hold it together.
    That's one particular thing I like about gymnastics. I think it seems like even though it is a very unforgiving sport in terms of making a mistake (was it really just her kind of losing balance on the beam that knocked her out of contention?), there seem to be enough events where a person can still have a chance at gold or a medal if something horrible happens to them in another.

I'm getting annoyed at all the synchronized events. I can see how synchronized diving requires great timing in addition to great precision, but I don't think that's enough of a reason to make it it's own medaling event.

I liked the men's synchronized diving. Shame GB only came fourth though. Boo.

Elite Member

I actually wonder, what China/Russia/GB are saying, or if the US is the only one making a big stink about it. All three of those countries, had 3 members place in the top 24, so they are in the same boat as the US is.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information