Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: London Olympics Results *Spoilers*

The way NBC portrayed the Russian gymnasts pissed me off. Have a bit of respect for them instead of skewing their behaviour to look bitchy and unsportsmanlike. And I hate that people think it's terrible of the girls to cry after getting the silver. These are young girls that have worked their whole lives for this one goal. They're in the gym 8 hours a day. It's doubtful they'll ever get a chance at an Olympic gold medal again. So what if they cry as soon as they realize their lifelong dream is gone? It's a hard pill to swallow. I would cry too. The problem is the cameras being stuck in their face trying to capture a reaction for drama.

Also, immediately after the competition, both Komova and Mustafina gave interviews congratulating Gabby was and talking how she deserved the win. Same thing for the team competition. They talked about how disappointed they were in themselves but were ultra gracious toward the Americans. But that doesn't fit with the diva-Russian-bitches meme NBC has going.

/rant
    Bellatheball likes this.

I don't think anyone here said it was terrible for them to cry. I certainly didn't, and if I implied that, I apologize. I would've sobbed had I been in their places.

What I did think was a bit much was their physical behavior towards their coaches and in general. It wasn't outrageous, but it seemed snotty. Anyway, it's only my opinion, and these girls certainly do something I could never do.
    McJag likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

*spoiler alert *

from CNN - OLYMPIC RESULT: American swimmer Michael Phelps wins gold medal in 100-meter butterfly
    Laurent, McJag and Lalique like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    The way NBC portrayed the Russian gymnasts pissed me off. Have a bit of respect for them instead of skewing their behaviour to look bitchy and unsportsmanlike. And I hate that people think it's terrible of the girls to cry after getting the silver. These are young girls that have worked their whole lives for this one goal. They're in the gym 8 hours a day. It's doubtful they'll ever get a chance at an Olympic gold medal again. So what if they cry as soon as they realize their lifelong dream is gone? It's a hard pill to swallow. I would cry too. The problem is the cameras being stuck in their face trying to capture a reaction for drama.

Also, immediately after the competition, both Komova and Mustafina gave interviews congratulating Gabby was and talking how she deserved the win. Same thing for the team competition. They talked about how disappointed they were in themselves but were ultra gracious toward the Americans. But that doesn't fit with the diva-Russian-bitches meme NBC has going.

/rant
    Good grief! NBC did nothing but stress how wonderful and almost perfect they are usually and how unusual it was for either one of them to ever make a mistake. They are much admired here, and rightfully so!
    Many other gymnasts came up short and yes,cried, but none of them showed anger towards coaches. Seems to me what we saw (like slapping away a hard working coach who only wanted to comfort) put a damper on them, not what we heard! The NBC comentators were totally fair to them, they admire them! The diva quote they said came directly from one of their own coaches.
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I told my housemate Michael Phelps won his 21st medal and she went 'Who's that?' ... No words
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I told my housemate Michael Phelps won his 21st medal and she went 'Who's that?' ... No words
    Lol. That would be pretty hard not to have heard of him.... You'd have to avoid the Olympics, the news, twitter...

I wondered if he was as big everywhere else around the world as he is in the US.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    This is the reason why I could never be a commentator. Everyone else would be talking about her routine, and I'd be like, "OMG! Check out those eyebrows? Can't someone help her with those?"
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Okay, I noticed the spray bottle during the competition. What is it and why do they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Okay, I noticed the spray bottle during the competition. What is it and why do they do that?
    I think it is just water & they spray some of the chalk for better traction, but that may be wrong.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I heard a commentator say that it's just water and that they use it to help them get a better grip on the bar with chalk.

Ah, thanks ladies!

There's a definite cultural difference when Russians call someone a diva. For Russians there are no negative attachments made to the expression of emotion, to be disappointed, angry, frustrated, dramatic is expected. The Russian diva ballerina is an old tradition.

Here in the US, and certainly in the way it's been used by NBC since the games began it's meant to be a slight insult, a difficult woman. NBC's coverage has been horrible, period.

I can't fault a 16 year old girl for being so upset at losing out on her life's dream, and not wanting to be consoled at that moment, losing her shit for a minute. I've seen teenagers throw worse tantrums over high school romances and other trivial bullshit.

Besides, the US mens basketball team are 10x the divas that any of these girls are. Kobe Bryant could give them lessons.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; August 3rd, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Besides, the US mens basketball team are 10x the divas that any of these girls are. Kobe Bryant could give them lessons.
    Now,that is the truth and nuttin' but!

Fuckin' A. They're beyond obnoxious and rude, and frequently make me glad that they rarely have the opportunity to represent the country on a world stage.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information