Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I just hope they play the correct anthem for Kazakhstan this time. Remember back in March when they accidentally played the version from Borat at the event in Kuwait??? Some of the lyrics:

"Kazakhstan's prostitutes are the cleanest in the region, except, of course, for Turkmenistan's. Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan, you very nice place .. come grasp the mighty penis of our leader from junction with testes to tip of its face."
    Yeah, I heard about that. Funny/sad. Hey, regardless of the lyrics, the parody song has a nice melody!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Don't you love it when some country gets an unexpected medal? We always root for the underdogs and I love hearing their stories.
    That was exactly how I felt. I tend to think of bicycling as a capital-intensive event - you need expensive equipment and good roads. For a smaller, less-affluent country to pull this off is amazing.

I went to watch the cycling - I was near the Kingston-Upon-Thames bridge
    McJag, faithanne, Fran and 1 others like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Damnit, it did feel like I was posting something in the wrong thread. Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even think about that.

ETA: I just edited my thread to take out the countries. But Sarzy is quoting me in her reply and I can't control that one.....
    I edited my post!
    I started a spoiler thread here
    London Olympics Results *Spoilers*

Levitt - That was nice you got to see the race!

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    My wife was saying that she thought the bicyclists looked more muscular than she was expecting. Not the greyhound type of bodies we usually associate with bicyclists. What did it look like from your vantage point?

You lucky thing! What a treat. I might have seen a flash of you on TV!
    levitt likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My wife was saying that she thought the bicyclists looked more muscular than she was expecting. Not the greyhound type of bodies we usually associate with bicyclists. What did it look like from your vantage point?
    I think they did look quite muscular, but still very lean. Some of them did have quite built up upper bodies, that surprised me.

McJag, I live about 20 minutes walk from that bridge it is a lovely part of Surrey/Greater London!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I think they did look quite muscular, but still very lean. Some of them did have quite built up upper bodies, that surprised me.

McJag, I live about 20 minutes walk from that bridge it is a lovely part of Surrey/Greater London!
    It looked soooo pretty there. Move over, I am coming to visit next Tuesday!
    levitt likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    Will there be a hunky athletes thread for these games? Or have I overlooked it.
    There should be. I nominate the Danish guys and everyone of the Swedish guys!

Yummy!
    McJag and rollo like this.

Not to be a drag, but I was reading up on what happens to Olympic venues and villages after the fact, and most of the host cities end up in crippling debt that they have to get taxpayer money to pay for. I know the Olympics are prestigious, but I'm honestly surprised that there are cities willing to take on this kind of debt when it doesn't turn into the kind of tourism that breaks even, much less turns profit. I'm more surprised that the cities' residents don't squawk about it when the costs are high and the rewards - besides having said the city hosted an Olympics - are so low.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    There should be. I nominate the Danish guys and everyone of the Swedish guys!
    I didn't see the Swedes but when the Danish team came in I had to rewind it to make sure I was actually seeing a parade of athletes and not male runway models. They either made the ugly ones stay back at the Village, or every single guy who does any form of sport in Denmark is a hottie. I'm going with the latter.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I didn't see the Swedes but when the Danish team came in I had to rewind it to make sure I was actually seeing a parade of athletes and not male runway models. They either made the ugly ones stay back at the Village, or every single guy who does any form of sport in Denmark is a hottie. I'm going with the latter.

Gives a whole new meaning to wanting to have a Danish with your coffee...
    McJag and Bluebonnet like this.

Someone please start an Oympics hotties thread. I would do it but I am on my ipad and it is a bitch to post photos.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Someone please start an Oympics hotties thread. I would do it but I am on my ipad and it is a bitch to post photos.
    I'm on my Ipad too. I'll try and start one later if no-one else has. Is it going to be in the unassorted hot guys section or this sports section?

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    It looked soooo pretty there. Move over, I am coming to visit next Tuesday!
    LOL! mcjag will see you next tuesday!
    sluce, levitt, MontanaMama and 2 others like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Japanese equestrian defies Father Time as the oldest competitor at London Olympics

LONDON – The oldest competitor at the 2012 Olympic Games has revealed the extraordinary sacrifices he has made in order to remain a medal contender well past retirement age.

Hiroshi Hoketsu, who will represent Japan in the equestrian discipline of dressage at the age of 71, told Yahoo! Sports how chasing a slice of history and becoming the oldest Olympian in the last 92 years is the result of a fanatical commitment to the sport.

"I have not seen my wife, Motoko, for more than a year," said Hoketsu, who lives and trains in the German town of Aachen in order to team up with his horse, Whisper, and his Dutch coach. "It is difficult to be away from home for this long as an old man and I owe everything to her patience and understanding."

Hoketsu will take part in his third Olympics, 48 years after making his debut and finishing 40th as a show jumper on home soil at the 1964 Tokyo Games. Despite continuing to rise at 5 a.m. every day to ride horses, he quit competing and became a successful international businessman for pharmaceutical companies.

After hanging up his business suit and briefcase, Hoketsu still had the itch to compete and entered the world of competitive dressage at his wife's insistence. At the time, neither predicted his comeback would result in qualification for the Beijing Games four years ago and now the London Games.

Hoketsu credits his performances to dedication and a bond with his mount that he describes as "magical." He has become a star in his homeland and a poster boy for the elderly.

Although Hoketsu rises early every morning and attacks practice sessions with as much zeal as riders young enough to be his grandchildren, he confesses he does not adhere to the dietary regimen you might expect from an Olympic athlete.

"I eat what I want to eat and drink as much as I want to drink," said Hoketsu through an interpreter. "People might expect that I am able to participate for so long because I have special habits. But my secret is to have a good life, enjoy yourself and do the things that make you happy.

"Having said that, I am out there riding horses every day for several hours. Then I come back in and do many exercises, to help with my strength, coordination, and, most importantly, my balance."

Hoketsu is the oldest Olympian since Swedish shooter Oscar Swahn won bronze at the age of 72 at the 1920 Antwerp Games and would ride into the record books if he was able to qualify for the Rio de Janeiro Games in 2016.

Such an outcome is unlikely, but don't rule it out just yet.

"My wife would like for this to be my last year of competition and that will probably be the case," Hoketsu said. "But I still feel my riding is improving, little by little. That is my motivation. I am a better rider at 70 than I was at 40. Most people can't tell but my body is getting a little weaker. My horse knows it and she helps me."
    Japanese equestrian defies Father Time as the oldest competitor at London Olympics - Yahoo! Sports
    McJag and angelais like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information