Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

Plus apparently we're bringing it 'back to the athletes', so it won't be as showy as Beijing anyway. Which I'm kind of glad about.
    McJag likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I just find it odd that with the games in London they speak in French first?
    I think it's because the modern Olympics were started by a Frenchman so French is the first language for anything Olympic, no matter where the Games are held.
    levitt likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^ you learn something every day. Thanks
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I'm watching the athletes march in. I love the Czechs in their bright blue patterned wellies. Best footwear so far. I also love how short the Brazilians' skirts were compared to everyone else

It was, IMO, the most beautiful opening of the games I've ever seen. From the rolling hills to Mr. Bean. And kudos to the Queen for participating. So much more I could say but I really am speechless. Well done Mr. Boyle. And My Canadian team looked great. Love the uniforms!!
    Rusalka and Sarzy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    It was, IMO, the most beautiful opening of the games I've ever seen. From the rolling hills to Mr. Bean. And kudos to the Queen for participating. So much more I could say but I really am speechless. Well done Mr. Boyle. And My Canadian team looked great. Love the uniforms!!
    Agreed. Although I'm bias. But I would say if I didn't like it.

Sydney has always been my favourite Olympics as a whole.
    But this one is only just getting started so I'll see when it ends.

I was wondering how it would come across to the rest of the world though as it's very.... I don't know.... British and out there lol.

Will there be a hunky athletes thread for these games? Or have I overlooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    Will there be a hunky athletes thread for these games? Or have I overlooked it.
    I don't think there is one... Good idea though, you could start one!

I remember for the 2010 Winter Olympics we ran into a spoiler problem because things aired some places before others and there are some people don't want to know what happens before they can see it for themselves. We solved it by having a general discussion thread and a separate spoiler thread to discuss things as they happen. Don't know if we want to go that route or not this time.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

I am so disgusted with the petulant whinging of a few pathetic Aussies demanding to be put into events they haven't been selected for, eg John Steffenson that I'm not watching. who the fuck do these entitled brats think they are? I'd put them on the first plane home. Others have been whining that they don't have aircon in their rooms, waaaaa, waaaaa. Aussies are insufferable if they lose something and even worse if they win. The media treats them like gods and they bask in the inflated sense of their own awesomeness. aussiewankerathlete-festo over.

Reality check: I just heard that Spain is so broke they couldn't afford their athletes uniforms and had to rely on donated suits for the opening ceremony. I don't think we realise how fucked the,European economy is.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Is it still going or am I watching it on delay? It's 8.40 am here and I'm seeing Syria walking in now.

I'm going to miss most events as they'll be on in the early morning here, and by the time I get home from work everything will have stopped until after I go to bed. Damn western Pacific time zones!

ETA: And A*O we can also look forward to every single thing being compared to Sydney 2000. The press have already been doing it but if even the tiniest thing goes wrong they'll jump on it here.

It's still going on..... Soo many countries! Nice to see everyone though.
    I think a spoiler thread is a good idea for the events, Laurent.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Reality check: I just heard that Spain is so broke they couldn't afford their athletes uniforms and had to rely on donated suits for the opening ceremony. I don't think we realise how fucked the,European economy is.
    I just saw that. The athletes are griping about how ugly they are, but I wonder how they would've felt if they hadn't had any. Maybe they would've been happier, dunno.

'It's What We Have': Spain's Athletes Sigh, And Put On Olympic Uniforms

11:09 am

July 27, 2012

By Lauren Frayer

Alex Fabregas/Twitter

Taking One For The Team: Field hockey player Alex Fabregas modeled Spain's Olympic outfit in this photo he posted on Twitter. Athletes have been publicly stoic about the colorful clothing, which was provided for free.

Spanish Olympians are learning a painful lesson as they suit up for Friday's opening ceremony in London: You get what you pay for.

With Spain on the brink of bankruptcy, its Olympic committee decided to save money this year. It got its Olympic uniforms for free, from the Russian designer Bosco, which also provided kits for the Russian and Ukrainian teams.

But several Spanish athletes have taken to Twitter to express their distaste for the freebie clothes they're required to wear. After an outcry over U.S. Olympic outfits made in China, Spain's Olympians have a different gripe about their uniforms: They're just plain ugly.

"I'd better not comment. I leave that to you," tweeted Spanish rower Saul Craviotto, who posted a photo of himself cringing in his garish new uniform, complete with a flashy matching backpack. Craviotto won a gold medal four years ago in Beijing.

"Olympic outfit, there aren't enough adjectives," tweeted the Catalan field hockey player Alex Fabregas, a silver medalist four years ago. He also posted a photo of himself in his official warm-up suit, a bright red-and-yellow ensemble reminiscent of an outfit worn by a high school marching band's drum major.

Carlos Moya, a former World No. 1 tennis player from Spain, expressed relief that he's retired — and won't have to wear the ensemble, with its mix of ketchup-and-mustard colors that look designed for a tacky 1970s race car driver — or perhaps Ronald McDonald.

Writing about his colleague, tennis star Feliciano Lopez, Moya posted on Twitter: "He'll never have worn anything so ugly in his life."

Lopez struck a diplomatic tone in his reply, tweeting back that the new uniform is "loud, very loud."

"But it's what we have, man," he wrote. "Spain is different and it always will be."

Spanish officials acknowledge that they chose the outfits because they were free.

"When you measure the difference between paying one and a half million [euros] of public money and free clothes, there is no discussion," committee president Alejandro Blanco recently told a Spanish radio station. That amounts to $1.8 million versus nothing.

Responding to criticism from athletes and fans, Blanco added: "The outfits are what we have, and we cannot change them now. They were decided upon more than a year and a half ago."

Like American companies, Spanish firms are also upset they weren't asked to manufacture their national team's uniforms.

But they probably would have charged for the job.
    London 2012: 'It's What We Have': Spain's Athletes Sigh, And Put On Olympic Uniforms : The Torch : NPR
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

*SPOILER****

I'm a bit worried Steve Redgrave's torch is about to go out. It looks alarmingly windy.

A*O

Oh it's all so symbolic and meaningful...... Get ON with it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information