Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

Now they are bitching about the USA womens soccer team having shirts pre-made that say, "Greatness has been found". Gmafb!! Lots of teams and sports have championship shirts pre-made and waiting to pull out, once they have won. Why is that so bad? Greatness was found with this team winning 6 straight games, and the gold medal. Who the hell wouldn't be proud and want to brag about it? Every damn team out there that lost would have done it, too.

I hate the fucking media and all their pc bullshit!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I thought the scoring in gymnastics was atrocious. I have never seen so many judging errors or such liberties taken with the scoring at the Olympic games. Good for Gabby for winning AA gold, but if she had been scored fairly she wouldn't have even been competing for it. Gabby was significantly overscored and Wieber was underscored in prelims.

Komova was also heavily and inexplicably overscored throughout the entire competition. And, as much as I like her, I thought Aly Raisman was also overscored.

McKayla's near perfect Amanar was underscored. I don't necessarily think she should have gotten a 16.5, but a 16.233 was too low of a score for that vault, especially when you look at the scores they were handing out for inferior vaults that came nowhere close to comparing to the height, form, execution, or landing, yet came very close to her score in deductions.

The main problem I had with the scoring was that on their own, maybe some of the scores could be justified, but when compared with the scores given out for the other routines in that event, they made no sense. There were incidents of the same score being given when one routine was clearly superior, or inappropriately similar scores for routines that were not similar in execution or difficulty. One example off the top of my head was Gabby getting the same score on two days for her bar routine. Same routine, same score, but one day she got that score with missed connections and wobbles, and the second day she got that score with a cleaner execution of the exact same routine. That indicates that on one of the two performances, she was incorrectly scored pretty significantly.

I am a former gymnast and a HUGE gymnastics fan, and I got to the point where I didn't even want to watch anymore because the scoring was so subjective and ridiculous that I couldn't enjoy it.
    sb, thank-you so much for saying all this (reposting everything because it's TRUTH.) I have no authority to make any of these statements like you do. But I see something has been wrong with Olympic women's gymnastics scoring for a while now.

Every four years, I keep seeing "the fix is in". Not going into particulars, since I'd be accused of talking out my ass (and might be) or it would just piss people off. I've rewatched many routines online and can only shake my head.

That's why I prefer men's gymnastics, overall. No one could deny Epke Zonderland deserved his gold, fair and square. The misjudging there seems like genuine differences of opinion rather than rotten fish.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Maroney had this error on her vault, that the TV camera angles made hard to see. Her legs were separated on pre-flight, which is an automatic .2 deduction:

So - 16.5, less the automatic .2 puts the 16.233 score pretty much exactly where it should be.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I wish they'd go back to a 10.0 = perfection. For the lay person, it's too hard to understand what constitutes a good score. Watching Mary Lou Retton get her 10 was fantastic. The whole world knew she nailed it and knew her score reflected it. Now they get a 15.6 and I have no idea what that means.
    sluce, angelais, McJag and 1 others like this.

^ I agree. It's needlessly overcomplicated now.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I'm from the generation when every bad score was blamed on "that damned Russian Judge!"
    LynnieD likes this.

the old cold war days

Yep and all those "commie judges" stuck together. The US won Gold the hard way!!

I freaking still bust on the Russian judges for shitty scores! And guess what? I still laugh. Ahh......the good ole days w/the Soviet Union.

I know I posted a blurb about this runner on Twitter so I apologize for the repeat, but this is a man that lives near me who is competing in the Olympics today. His name is Lopez Lomong and I just LOVE his story--and that of his entire family. He and his brothers were adopted by a local family from the Sudan. In the 2008 Olympics, Lopez had the honor of carrying the American Flag in the Opening Ceremonies in Bejing. Local media went insane! Here is his (and his families) story. GO LOPEZ!!!!

From escaping bullets in Sudan as a young boy to becoming a track and field Olympics star, U.S. athlete Lopez Lomong has been running and defying odds nearly all of his life.

Lomong, who carried the American flag into the 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony in Beijing, was among the thousands of refugees known as "The Lost Boys," victims of Sudan's long and brutal civil war.

At the age of six, Lomong, who qualified Wednesday for the 5,000-meter final at the London Games on August 11, was separated from his family when he was kidnapped by soldiers during a Sunday morning mass in his native country. Lomong was taken along with several other children to a prison where they would be trained to become child soldiers.

"I saw kids dying every day and I would say, 'OK, maybe next time it's going to be me,'" remembers Lomong, 27. "That basically changed my life and from that moment I'm no longer six years old -- I became an adult."

But a few weeks later Lomong managed to escape from the prison camp with the help of three older abducted children. Barefoot but determined, Lomong and his friends went a through a hole in the prison fence and started running as fast as they could, in what Lomong describes as their "race to freedom."

After running for three days and nights the boys finally reached Kenya, where Lomong spent the next 10 years of his life in a refugee camp.

In 2001, Lomong's remarkable life journey took another turn. Aged 16, he was among the nearly 4,000 "Lost Boys" who were resettled in various cities across the United States as part of a U.N. and U.S. government program.

He was adopted by a family in Tully, a small town in upstate New York, where he went to high school and first started thinking of running as a career.

Sudan child soldier turned U.S. Olympian
    He became a U.S. citizen in July 2007 and one year later he made the national Olympics team, taking part in the 1,500-meter race in Beijing. Lomong didn't make it to the finals but was honored by his fellow athletes who selected him as the as flag bearer for Team USA.

"That is the most incredible thing I take away from the Olympics," he says. "It's not only track and field. There are swimmers; there are wrestlers; there is everybody united and we are all walking together to bring as many medals to our country. Those are the things that I will never forget -- I was very excited to be part of that and carry America's flag into the opening ceremony."

I don't want to be a flag bearer anymore, I want to bring the medal back home.
    Lopez Lomong

This week, he returns to the Olympics for the second time. This time his goal is to achieve Olympic glory.

"I want to go back to do what I didn't do in 2008," says Lomong, a graduate of Northern Arizona University. "I want to win the medal. Yes, I was a flag bearer in 2008; I don't want to be a flag bearer anymore, I want to bring the medal back home."

Determined to win a medal for his adopted country, Lomong is also focused on making a difference in South Sudan. He has established a foundation in his name to help people in his native country, focusing on four pressing issues.

"We need to be able to go back and give these people education, clean water, nutrition, medicine," says Lomong, who also reunited with his family in South Sudan in 2007. "To live, to see another day, to think there is someone out there in the world caring for them so they can be able to pursue their dream."

Lomong has also written a book, called "Running for My Life: One Lost Boy's Journey from the Killing Fields of Sudan to the Olympic Games," where he narrates his long and epic life journey.

He wants to share his inspiring story with the world so that people know where he comes from and understand why he is running.

"I want to be the one telling that story to the people who never had a voice before because there are a lot of kids out there right now that are still going through the things I went through. They are still getting kidnapped. They are still going hungry for days, they don't have families," he says.

"We need to be able to tell the world to stop those things and let's educate kids instead of giving them AK-47s to go to fight. Let the kids go and play [and] do anything they need to do to be able to see their future."

Lopez Lomong: From war child to U.S. Olympics star - CNN.com
    McJag, Sarzy and Rusalka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post

ME!
    I love it so much!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody better bother me when it's on.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I can't believe it's almost time for the closing ceremony.
    What are closing ceremonies usually like? I don't usually watch them.. This one sounds like it's just one big pop concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I can't believe it's almost time for the closing ceremony.
    What are closing ceremonies usually like? I don't usually watch them.. This one sounds like it's just one big pop concert.
    Watch! Everything is done, the athletes have the time of their lives & it is just fun!
    Do not make me say"Except for Sarzy" one more time!
    This has just been so great. Good Show,Brits!
    The pool was the best, the sand was perfect and deep and on & on!
    Just the roar of the not-stuffy-at-all British crowds has made our day!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Watch! Everything is done, the athletes have the time of their lives & it is just fun!
    Do not make me say"Except for Sarzy" one more time!
    This has just been so great. Good Show,Brits!
    The pool was the best, the sand was perfect and deep and on & on!
    Just the roar of the not-stuffy-at-all British crowds has made our day!
    Haha, I will be watching!

I'm glad you've enjoyed it! I have too and I think it's gone pretty smoothly, much more than I was expecting!

I know! It has been quite a show,hasn't it? Just lovely.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information