Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    That McKayla seems like a poor sport and bitchy.
    Poor girl is saddled with a pageant name. That set her up for a lifetime of bitterness.
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester Pam View Post
    I've never watched a full soccer game before but thought what the hell, may as well watch this one. As someone who is fairly clueless about soccer rules, what I don't understand about that game was it looks like the one Canadian chick was about to be smoked in the face by the ball so she blocked her face, which seems like a natural response. I know I'd block my face. So why is that worthy of a goal given straight to the Americans? I think I get the goal keeper-holding-the-ball-too long call but not sure how it's worthy of a free goal if your opponent smacks a ball to your face.

Anyways, I dunno, it was such a bananas situation, I just lost interest and decided to watch something else that was a bit more cut and dry: hurdles. Just clear the damn hurdles the fastest and you win! No reffing!

Yes, it is natural to block your face when something is coming at it, but that is a handball in soccer. And when you do it in the box, the other team gets a shot. Not the place to do it, because the other team is very close to the goal. You learn to let the ball hit you in the face. lol This game is built to be physcial and rough, and there are always good and bad calls on both sides, every game.

It is just sour grapes by Canada, just like it would be if the US lost. Goes with the game. I think the Canadians got away with shit, too. Like that #14, Melissa Tancredi, stomping on Carli Llyod's head when she was on the ground and didn't even have the ball. She should have had a red card for that shit!!! But, no call there.

Someone who knows something about sports please explain this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^ Ah wrestling...

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Shin A Lam of South Korea: The Saddest Story of the Olympics that American TV Neglected

Getty Images

Recently, our own Bruce Jacobs wrote about how the coverage of the 2012 Olympic Games was just fine, and how nobody should be airing their grievances about it, which many have taken to the web to do. However, if you don’t like tape delays, web streams that freeze or are blurry on many occasions, or have even one iota of interest in seeing nations other than the United States compete, you would disagree with Bruce’s point of view. If you agree with Bruce, you probably don’t care that you were not shown one of the saddest moments in Olympic history from an on-field perspective.

Monday, in the women’s fencing epee semifinal match between Britta Heidemann of Germany and Shin A Lam of South Korea, Lam led with one second left on the clock. All she had to do was not be touched in that one second and she would be advancing to the gold medal match. Unfortunately for Shin, the clock never started after the referee signaled to restart the match, giving Heidemann more than one second to land the winning touch.

Incensed, the Korean team paid to file an appeal of the decision, while Shin had to sit on the playing surface, known as a piste, to indicate that she did not accept the decision of the judges. She was there for over a half hour, with much of that time spent in tears, before the appeal was denied.

Shin remained on the piste after the decision was made in protest, before then being removed by security. She was then sent into the bronze medal match shortly after and, understandably still distraught, was defeated by China’s Yujie Sun. Shin should have been fencing for gold, but left empty handed.

Since the incident, it has come out that the timekeeper for the event was a 15 year old British volunteer. Really? This isn’t fencing class at the Y, this is the Olympics. There was nobody in the entire world with any timekeeping experience that could have been called upon to take on such an important task? When I was 15, I wouldn’t have had the attention span to do that job either. Whoever made the choice to put a child in charge of the clock for an Olympic event should be fired.

It has also been reported that Shin has been offered a “consolation medal” by the IOC for the myopia of the officials. Consolation medals aren’t bronze, silver, or gold. They are glorified participation ribbons with a little greeting card attached that says “Whoops” on it. Shin justifiably turned it down.

This was a riveting story and one that would have been perfect for primetime television. However, it wasn’t swimming, diving, gymnastics or beach volleyball and didn’t directly involve an American, so NBC saw no reason to pay it much attention.

To an extent I can see their point in not covering Shin’s case in prime time. We are in America and residents of this country want to see their countrymen compete. But instead of showing nauseating profile pieces about Missy Franklin and how much she loves Justin Bieber or an interview where Andrea Kremer asks a swimmer what their strategy was (obviously their strategy was to win, Andrea), couldn’t NBC have donated five minutes to the biggest story of the Olympic Games to that point?

Maybe I’m stubborn for thinking that the Olympics should be treated as and covered like a sporting event. But as someone working for a sports radio station, who watches sports for the sports rather than the frills and the pageantry, I have been disgusted by NBC’s coverage of these Games.

Almost as disgusted as I am with whoever decided to let a 15 year old manage the clock in Olympic fencing.

UPDATE (8/4/2012 3:19 P.M.): Shin and the South Korean team won the silver medal in today’s women’s team epee final against China. A somewhat happy ending to the story.

Shin A Lam of South Korea: The Saddest Story of the Olympics that American TV Neglected [UPDATE]
    There's been way more dubious stuff going on. Like with the showjumping for horses when a part of a fence came down way before the horse was near it, still it counted as a penalty; I don't remember which country it was. Also today on the horse dressage bit, the judges favored the British girl over the Dutch one, whose horse performed much better. I was watching the BBC when that 16-year old Chinese swimmer swam a record time and the race was barely over or the commentator in the swimming arena was already casting suspicion on the achievement literally saying that it was impossible that this girl had swum "clean". So unsportsmenlike (if that's a word). I loved how the Dutch men's field hockey team beat the crap out of the British team today. That finally shut up the BBC commentators (it was 9-2, so there was hardly anything else they could do).
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Rant: I know Usain Bolt is amazing and all that but I am really getting sick of his showboating cocky wankerish ways. I was rooting for him but I really want to see someone beat him since his head is getting so big. *ducks the flying tomatoes*

Also, just caught some highlights from the rhythmic gymnastics... that French lady with the ball was so graceful and elegant. Beautiful to watch. I seriously admire their skills.
    Sarzy likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I'm so happy I caught rhythmic gymnastics today!!!!
    That's all.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

Ugh. We live in the wrestling Mecca and my kids are family friends of one of the most famous wrestling coaches of all time. I hope like hell my boys don't ever get into it.

They finally just showed the men's 200 meter sprint here on the west coast. Okay is it just me or does Usain Bolt seem to be getting cockier by the minute? At least on the track before the race he seemed that way. Then after he wins he stops and does some push ups on the tracks. Okay we get it, you are fast.
    Sleuth likes this.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Elite Member

LOL, greco-roman wrestling. It looks like they are trying to sniff each other's butts half the time but it's actually pretty cool to watch once you get into it.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

^I love Usain Bolt and so long as he keeps winning he can be the biggest wanker ever, because he backs it up with results. He's incredible and he knows it, not everyone has to be humble.
    olivia likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^and, I thought it was sweet how he seemed genuinely excited and happy when he realized one of his teammates took the bronze medal as well...
    McJag likes this.

I thought the scoring in gymnastics was atrocious. I have never seen so many judging errors or such liberties taken with the scoring at the Olympic games. Good for Gabby for winning AA gold, but if she had been scored fairly she wouldn't have even been competing for it. Gabby was significantly overscored and Wieber was underscored in prelims.

Komova was also heavily and inexplicably overscored throughout the entire competition. And, as much as I like her, I thought Aly Raisman was also overscored.

McKayla's near perfect Amanar was underscored. I don't necessarily think she should have gotten a 16.5, but a 16.233 was too low of a score for that vault, especially when you look at the scores they were handing out for inferior vaults that came nowhere close to comparing to the height, form, execution, or landing, yet came very close to her score in deductions.

The main problem I had with the scoring was that on their own, maybe some of the scores could be justified, but when compared with the scores given out for the other routines in that event, they made no sense. There were incidents of the same score being given when one routine was clearly superior, or inappropriately similar scores for routines that were not similar in execution or difficulty. One example off the top of my head was Gabby getting the same score on two days for her bar routine. Same routine, same score, but one day she got that score with missed connections and wobbles, and the second day she got that score with a cleaner execution of the exact same routine. That indicates that on one of the two performances, she was incorrectly scored pretty significantly.

I am a former gymnast and a HUGE gymnastics fan, and I got to the point where I didn't even want to watch anymore because the scoring was so subjective and ridiculous that I couldn't enjoy it.
    mjw likes this.

What I'm seeing in gymnastics: You can have a difficult routine with several fuck ups and still beat out a slightly less difficult routine done damn near perfectly. It's bullshit.
    mjw likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Thread Information