Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

^^ I don't understand how South Korea lost the appeal. Can't they review the footage and determine if the match went on longer than one second?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester Pam View Post
    I've never watched a full soccer game before but thought what the hell, may as well watch this one. As someone who is fairly clueless about soccer rules, what I don't understand about that game was it looks like the one Canadian chick was about to be smoked in the face by the ball so she blocked her face, which seems like a natural response. I know I'd block my face. So why is that worthy of a goal given straight to the Americans? I think I get the goal keeper-holding-the-ball-too long call but not sure how it's worthy of a free goal if your opponent smacks a ball to your face.

Anyways, I dunno, it was such a bananas situation, I just lost interest and decided to watch something else that was a bit more cut and dry: hurdles. Just clear the damn hurdles the fastest and you win! No reffing!
    This happened at my daughter's game, and she's 9. A teammate threw up her hands instinctively to block a line drive to the face. It was near the goal, and the ref lined up a free shot just in front of the goal. Just the goalee to block, and a goal from there was a fait accompli. I didnt se the game but i dont blame Canadians (and Sinclair who had the game of her life) for being suspicious about two questionable calls so close to each other and at such a critical point.

I've been disappointed by the coverage NBC has on this Olympics. I could do with no Bob Costas, and I don't care about his interviews with the athletes. I swam competitively so I do like watching swimming, but it simply dominated the prime time slot for a whole week. I would have liked to have seen other events. For a lot of the athletes at the games this is their biggest stage and it would be nice to see some of the smaller events where those people don't get a lot of recognition.

I'm also totally annoyed because we upgraded our cable package to watch the online streaming. But, if NBC is planning to show that event (at least the events I've tried to watch) you can't watch it until they air it. Their feeds are crappy as well.

I get as an American you want to see your countrymen, but I'd like to see other events besides swimming, volleyball (which I can't stand to watch) and gymnastics.
    pinkbunnyslippers likes this.

There is a whole thread on that.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

If you can get through to Eurovisionsports online, you will be able to watch every event (in real time if you want) without a single word of commentary. You view the raw footage and see much more of the logistics and timing of everything, plus lots more interactions between players.

I don't know if NBC showed it, but the German dude who won gold at the Discus went totally mental over it, for about 10 minutes. He danced around, tore off his shirt, hopped some hurdles being set up, quite adorable.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This happened at my daughter's game, and she's 9. A teammate threw up her hands instinctively to block a line drive to the face. It was near the goal, and the ref lined up a free shot just in front of the goal. Just the goalee to block, and a goal from there was a fait accompli. I didnt se the game but i dont blame Canadians (and Sinclair who had the game of her life) for being suspicious about two questionable calls so close to each other and at such a critical point.

Anytime there is a handball in the penalty box, the other team gets a penalty kick. That is why you don't want to foul or use your hands while in the box, because the other team will get a great shot at scoring. It is instinct to put your hands up when a ball comes toward your face, you just learn in soccer, NOT to do it in the box. You let it hit your face. lol

My daughter has been a ref for almost 5 years, and I have learned that it is the ref's call, good or bad. So much is going on all around the field, that you DON'T see it all. You have 2 side refs to help, but things get missed, and are seen differently by each person, and their line of sight to the event. What I see in the stands is different yet. Part of the game is that you go with the good and the bad, and it is the ref's call. They miss things on both teams every game, so you get by with stuff. And sometimes they call you for stuff they shouldn't,...so it averages out. I have learned to respect the ref's calls, and if people don't like it, I encourage them to take the training and try it themselves. It is a whole new ball game when your the one doing it.

Canada got away with stuff too,...like #14, Melissa Tancredi, STOMPING on Carli Llyod's head. The ball had already left Carli, and she was down on the ground, and Tancredi walks by and just stomps on her head. That should have been a red card and she should have left the field.
    Last edited by JadeStar70; August 8th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
    McJag and lizzybabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I've been disappointed by the coverage NBC has on this Olympics. I could do with no Bob Costas, and I don't care about his interviews with the athletes. I swam competitively so I do like watching swimming, but it simply dominated the prime time slot for a whole week. I would have liked to have seen other events. For a lot of the athletes at the games this is their biggest stage and it would be nice to see some of the smaller events where those people don't get a lot of recognition.

I'm also totally annoyed because we upgraded our cable package to watch the online streaming. But, if NBC is planning to show that event (at least the events I've tried to watch) you can't watch it until they air it. Their feeds are crappy as well.

I get as an American you want to see your countrymen, but I'd like to see other events besides swimming, volleyball (which I can't stand to watch) and gymnastics.
    I'm tired of Volleyball, and swimming too. My fiance would walk by the TV and asks "Are you STILL watching this?" I had to explain that I'm waiting for other highlights from other sports. I'd keep it on most of the time, and go do other things. I can't wait for them both to be over. Not only that, but keep it on a sport for more than 10 minutes. Gosh! Too many damn commercials too.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    If you can get through to Eurovisionsports online, you will be able to watch every event (in real time if you want) without a single word of commentary. You view the raw footage and see much more of the logistics and timing of everything, plus lots more interactions between players.

I don't know if NBC showed it, but the German dude who won gold at the Discus went totally mental over it, for about 10 minutes. He danced around, tore off his shirt, hopped some hurdles being set up, quite adorable.
    I went there, and it isn't available in the USA. I thought there was hope. we only have one NBC channel. Boooo!
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Umm, I have 4 NBC channels,at least-one for just volleyball,etc. All have differents parts of the Olympics. That is on satillite.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post

I went there, and it isn't available in the USA. I thought there was hope. we only have one NBC channel. Boooo!
    My husband says you need to download something called Strong VPN and activate it with your wireless when you want to view international blocked programs.

It works for us, no hassles. Worth a shot maybe.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Anytime there is a handball in the penalty box, the other team gets a penalty kick. That is why you don't want to foul or use your hands while in the box, because the other team will get a great shot at scoring. It is instinct to put your hands up when a ball comes toward your face, you just learn in soccer, NOT to do it in the box. You let it hit your face. lol

My daughter has been a ref for almost 5 years, and I have learned that it is the ref's call, good or bad. So much is going on all around the field, that you DON'T see it all. You have 2 side refs to help, but things get missed, and are seen differently by each person, and their line of sight to the event. What I see in the stands is different yet. Part of the game is that you go with the good and the bad, and it is the ref's call. They miss things on both teams every game, so you get by with stuff. And sometimes they call you for stuff they shouldn't,...so it averages out. I have learned to respect the ref's calls, and if people don't like it, I encourage them to take the training and try it themselves. It is a whole new ball game when your the one doing it.

Canada got away with stuff too,...like #14, Melissa Tancredi, STOMPING on Carli Llyod's head. The ball had already left Carli, and she was down on the ground, and Tancredi walks by and just stomps on her head. That should have been a red car and she should have left the field.
    Exactly.

I am hearing people bitch and moan over the 6-second call on the Canadian goalie. But it IS a rule and IS in the rulebook. So now people are getting mad at the refs for actually enforcing the rulebook. It may be a dumb rule and it may be rarely called but it is still a rule.

Also, the goalie said in her press conference afterwards that she had been warned at halftime by the referee to quit her stalling. So she had already been warned about her delaying tactics. This call didn't come out of nowhere.

The handball call was more iffy, but I can see why it was called. There was a crowd of people and the ball was kicked hard - the ref really had a split second to see what happened and even I at first thought it had hit her hand.

Both teams got away with an awful lot, the refs had a tough job out there. This was a very physical, grueling game for both teams.
    Sarzy likes this.

Yes, it was a GREAT game! Both teams really wanted it and played their hearts out. But someone always has to lose, and that is the hardest part of any sport. But at least both teams fought like hell until the end.

Looking forward to the match tomorrow. We will have to play tough and fight like hell again,...Japan isn't a roll over team. They fight hard and sometimes dirty, too. Such is soccer...lol

Bronze Member

The behind the scenes clips from the BBC athletics coverage have been two of my favourite bits so far.

First Usain Bolt winning the 100m:

[YOUTUBE]Gg7JX46dXzE[/YOUTUBE]

Second, British and American runners winning gold and silver in the 10,000m
    [YOUTUBE]jbkw4DDXwpE[/YOUTUBE]
    Sarzy likes this.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but McKayla Maroney's podium bitchface (the heavy favourite for the vault gold who fell and came second) is now a meme:

mckayla is not impressed

I love the Bieber one

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Umm, I have 4 NBC channels,at least-one for just volleyball,etc. All have differents parts of the Olympics. That is on satillite.
    I mean, my fiance and I only have one NBC channel.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

That McKayla seems like a poor sport and bitchy.
    Flygirl likes this.

Thread Information