Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    do you automatically get kicked off the women's swim team if you have boobs? even some of the gymnasts have boobs so it can't be the result of too much training/working out.
    Maybe that uber expensive water dynamic swimsuit squashes them flat, for speed.

For all the rowing on that beautiful water, I have to stop and marvel: peaceful, no danger of water moccasins, no gators, no snapping turtles.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Anyone know why the American swimmers don't appear to have a single uniform? They're all wearing differenet colors and caps, etc...even some of the relays, it's weird.
    I don't know for sure, but I assumed those wearing Arena suits probably have endorsement deals with Arena, rather than Speedo. You see that with shoes all the time in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    do you automatically get kicked off the women's swim team if you have boobs? even some of the gymnasts have boobs so it can't be the result of too much training/working out.
    It's the suits. They are crazy tight - as you can tell when all the girls are constantly pulling at the straps. They hurt like hell because they are so tight and they flatten you to nothing.

I swam years ago and we would race is size 22 speedos. If I remember correctly speedo sizes are suppose to correspond to waist size. So, a 22 was tiny. You speeze into them to race and warm up/down and then you at the very least pull the straps down so your shoulders don't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Makes me bawl everytime I see a parent watching their child fulfill their dreams - be it ads, tv shows, movies, sports - every single time.
    OMG so do I! PMS does not help this matter either. I get emotional just hearing the National Anthem at Football/baseball games, so to see the parents, the kids....its just too much for me----all of it.

I lose my shit when my kids win in ANYTHING, I cannot imagine how it would be to see your child compete on this level. Proud doesn't even begin to cover it.

I got teary eyed when Mo Farah hugged his daughter when he won gold.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Wink Jeah

Ryan Lochte Pimped Out & Razor Sharp

Ryan Lochte won't have to ever worry about losing a swimming race by a hair, because he just received two gold and diamond encrusted razors from Gillette.

The 11-time Olympic medalist tweeted a pic of the new blinged-out shaving set gifted to him by one of his biggest sponsors and wrote, "U gotta hand it to @Gillette for getting me my own personally gold plated and diamond encrusted razor. #jeah"

These pimped out razors will ensure the 28-year-old maintains all his smooth moves in and out of the pool.
    Ryan Lochte -- Pimped Out & Razor Sharp | TMZ.com
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

UPDATE 1-Grenada declares half-holiday for runner James Olympic gold - chicagotribune.com

By Jane Sutton

MIAMI, Aug 7 (Reuters) - Grenada's prime minister declared a
    half-holiday on Tuesday and gave the entire island the afternoon
    off to celebrate runner Kirani James' Olympic gold medal in the
    men's 400 meter race.

It was the first Olympic medal ever won by an athlete from
    the tiny southeast Caribbean island of Grenada, which has just
    under 110,000 residents.

"This is a fantastic achievement," said Richard Simon, press
    secretary for Prime Minister Tillman Thomas. "This has basically
    given Grenada a sense of presence in the international community
    that we didn't have before in the context of world athletics."

Caribbean sprinters dominated the podium in the 400-meter
    race. James, 19, won with a time of 43.94 seconds, ahead of the
    Dominican Republic's Luguelin Santos and Lalonde Gordon of
    Trinidad and Tobago, who took silver and bronze respectively.
    After winning the semifinals on Sunday, James swapped
    nametags with South African Oscar Pistorius, a double amputee
    Ads by Google
    Dominica Eco Resort
    Nature's Island in the Caribbean. See Why our Guests Rate us 5-Stars
    Dominica resorts | An eco-luxury beachfront Dominica resort
    who runs on carbon fiber prosthetic blades after being born
    without a fibula in both legs. Pistorius failed to make the
    finals and James' touching gesture was televised around the
    world.

The Caribbean is enjoying stunning sprinting success at the
    London Games with Jamaican men and women dominating the 100
    meters, and likely to win more medals in the 200 meters. Felix
    Sanchez of the Dominican Republic also won gold in the 400
    meters hurdles.

Giant television screens were set up at four parks and
    stadiums so Grenadians could watch Monday's race at the London
    Games. Spectators dressed in the national colors of green, gold
    and red and streamed into the streets, blowing seashells and
    cheering after James surged home a half-second ahead of world
    junior champion Santos.

Government offices closed at midday and revelers streamed to
    James' hometown, the fishing village of Gouyave, for a rally.
    Calypso singers composed new songs in honor of James who is
    known as "The Jaguar."

"It's an early carnival for us," Simon told Reuters by
    telephone. "It's going to be a culmination basically of three or
    four days of celebration for Kirani's involvement in the
    Olympics. It's a huge party."

Revelers were invited to watch a webcast of the rally
    starting at 2:45 p.m. EDT (18:45 GMT) at http://www.viewpasstv.com/

(Editing by David Adams and Doina Chiacu)
    Did anyone see Kirani win last night? After he won, he went around and hugged or shook hands with every other runner on the track. And then after that, it wasn't over the top show boating...just a quick celebration with his family. This kid is 19 and has a good head on his shoulders. Congrats to him and to Grenada for their first medal.
    McJag and dexter7 like this.

Gonna say this now: the reffing at this olympics has been absolute shit. So much shady crap going on.

Canadian women's soccer team was robbed. The latest victims in a long string of pathetic and frankly paid off reffing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ What was it that happened at the match that you thought was dodgy? I didn't see it.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Sour grapes,Grimm!
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I thought this was beautifully sporting, and pure class. Usain Bolt pauses his interview while her national anthem is played during Sanya Richards Ross' medal ceremony.

[YOUTUBE]YYLY3WRK3Zw[/YOUTUBE]
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Canadian Women’s Soccer Players May Face FIFA Discipline For Claiming Yesterday’s Semifinal Was Rigged

Members of the Canadian women's national soccer team are under fire for comments they made after yesterday's thriller of a match won by the U.S. with seconds to spare.

FIFA says it plans to investigate the comments, referring most likely to team captain Christine Sinclair who said after the match, "We feel like we didn't lose. We feel like it was taken from us [...] It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important, that the ref decided the result before the game started."

The match featured several controversial calls, including a six-second call on Canada's goalkeeper and a handball that provided Team USA the equalizing penalty shot.

While the Canadian Soccer Federation says they don't expect Sinclair or any other players to be suspended for Canada's bronze medal match, future suspensions could be possible.

Canadian Women's Soccer Players May Face FIFA Discipline For Claiming Yesterday's Semifinal Was Rigged
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Really ,Grimm! We all watched it & yes, that head shot took awesome luck to hit just right, but it did. Really.

I've never watched a full soccer game before but thought what the hell, may as well watch this one. As someone who is fairly clueless about soccer rules, what I don't understand about that game was it looks like the one Canadian chick was about to be smoked in the face by the ball so she blocked her face, which seems like a natural response. I know I'd block my face. So why is that worthy of a goal given straight to the Americans? I think I get the goal keeper-holding-the-ball-too long call but not sure how it's worthy of a free goal if your opponent smacks a ball to your face.

Anyways, I dunno, it was such a bananas situation, I just lost interest and decided to watch something else that was a bit more cut and dry: hurdles. Just clear the damn hurdles the fastest and you win! No reffing!

Shin A Lam of South Korea: The Saddest Story of the Olympics that American TV Neglected

Getty Images

Recently, our own Bruce Jacobs wrote about how the coverage of the 2012 Olympic Games was just fine, and how nobody should be airing their grievances about it, which many have taken to the web to do. However, if you don’t like tape delays, web streams that freeze or are blurry on many occasions, or have even one iota of interest in seeing nations other than the United States compete, you would disagree with Bruce’s point of view. If you agree with Bruce, you probably don’t care that you were not shown one of the saddest moments in Olympic history from an on-field perspective.

Monday, in the women’s fencing epee semifinal match between Britta Heidemann of Germany and Shin A Lam of South Korea, Lam led with one second left on the clock. All she had to do was not be touched in that one second and she would be advancing to the gold medal match. Unfortunately for Shin, the clock never started after the referee signaled to restart the match, giving Heidemann more than one second to land the winning touch.

Incensed, the Korean team paid to file an appeal of the decision, while Shin had to sit on the playing surface, known as a piste, to indicate that she did not accept the decision of the judges. She was there for over a half hour, with much of that time spent in tears, before the appeal was denied.

Shin remained on the piste after the decision was made in protest, before then being removed by security. She was then sent into the bronze medal match shortly after and, understandably still distraught, was defeated by China’s Yujie Sun. Shin should have been fencing for gold, but left empty handed.

Since the incident, it has come out that the timekeeper for the event was a 15 year old British volunteer. Really? This isn’t fencing class at the Y, this is the Olympics. There was nobody in the entire world with any timekeeping experience that could have been called upon to take on such an important task? When I was 15, I wouldn’t have had the attention span to do that job either. Whoever made the choice to put a child in charge of the clock for an Olympic event should be fired.

It has also been reported that Shin has been offered a “consolation medal” by the IOC for the myopia of the officials. Consolation medals aren’t bronze, silver, or gold. They are glorified participation ribbons with a little greeting card attached that says “Whoops” on it. Shin justifiably turned it down.

This was a riveting story and one that would have been perfect for primetime television. However, it wasn’t swimming, diving, gymnastics or beach volleyball and didn’t directly involve an American, so NBC saw no reason to pay it much attention.

To an extent I can see their point in not covering Shin’s case in prime time. We are in America and residents of this country want to see their countrymen compete. But instead of showing nauseating profile pieces about Missy Franklin and how much she loves Justin Bieber or an interview where Andrea Kremer asks a swimmer what their strategy was (obviously their strategy was to win, Andrea), couldn’t NBC have donated five minutes to the biggest story of the Olympic Games to that point?

Maybe I’m stubborn for thinking that the Olympics should be treated as and covered like a sporting event. But as someone working for a sports radio station, who watches sports for the sports rather than the frills and the pageantry, I have been disgusted by NBC’s coverage of these Games.

Almost as disgusted as I am with whoever decided to let a 15 year old manage the clock in Olympic fencing.

UPDATE (8/4/2012 3:19 P.M.): Shin and the South Korean team won the silver medal in today’s women’s team epee final against China. A somewhat happy ending to the story.

Shin A Lam of South Korea: The Saddest Story of the Olympics that American TV Neglected [UPDATE]

Thread Information