Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Not a pretty sight,needs pilates.
    and vaseline....
    Bellatheball likes this.

"Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Unhappy

Now I am really ticked. I just clicked on an article whose headline was about the USA Womens Gymnastic team and "eyeing" todays competition. IT FREAKIN HAD THE RESULTS. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The title did not say RESULTS. STUPID INTERNET.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Now I am really ticked. I just clicked on an article whose headline was about the USA Womens Gymnastic team and "eyeing" todays competition. IT FREAKIN HAD THE RESULTS. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

News channels that I've liked on my Facebook keep posting the results and it shows up in my newsfeed. I've given up on trying to stay spoiler-free.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post

I thought I was coming into this thread but accidentally went into the spoiler thread here at GR. I saw the women's gymnastics results. GAH! I've been trying so hard to NOT KNOW and I pull a bonehead move like that.

TMZ just posted the women's gymnastic results all over their site and then posted the article to FB so it shows up in the newsfeed. People are so pissed and nary a word from TMZ about it. I'm guessing they're feeling smug about ruining it for people for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I thought I was coming into this thread but accidentally went into the spoiler thread here at GR. I saw the women's gymnastics results. GAH! I've been trying so hard to NOT KNOW and I pull a bonehead move like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    TMZ just posted the women's gymnastic results all over their site and then posted the article to FB so it shows up in the newsfeed. People are so pissed and nary a word from TMZ about it. I'm guessing they're feeling smug about ruining it for people for whatever reason.
    I have an old high school friend who lives in Great Britain and posted the results. My reply was "Thanks Old Friend, I certainly didn't want to watch when it's aired here in the States. Boooo spoiler." She apologized but left the damn thing up explaining that she was watching with her daughter which has hell all to do with their enjoyment and really messed up my enjoyment.

Thanks for the info about TMZ, I'll stay away, lest I get even more unsolicited spoilers. I'm sticking pretty close to GR only if there's something I want to watch in primetime.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

^ You probably already know, but just in case, avoid all major news sites, if possible. They're all putting spoilers up and few of them bother to put a spoiler warning title.

I think NBC dropped the ball on this. I'm guessing the gymnastic events, at least, are probably in the late afternoon or evening in London, which is 5 hours behind EST, 6 CST, 7 Mountain, & 8 Pacific. They could've made that shit work and aired it in the U.S. in late morning/noon/early afternoon.

But you know it is all about ratings and more people will watch in the evening. Why didn't NBC offer some sort of pay per view sports package of the Olympics? I would have ordered it just to see it live. I hope they don't have broadcast rights for the next Olympics.
    Fran likes this.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I think that in this day and age it's unrealistic from NBC to expect people to not find out the results. I'd rather go online, find a streaming site(thank you NBC for at leas that) and watch it live instead of having to wait until NBC deems it right to air, and if you're lucky they only interrupt it twice with highlights of another sport.

I agree, they could have made it work, but they don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    But you know it is all about ratings and more people will watch in the evening. Why didn't NBC offer some sort of pay per view sports package of the Olympics? I would have ordered it just to see it live. I hope they don't have broadcast rights for the next Olympics.
    I'm pretty sure that they have the rights for Rio as well. At least Rio is in a better timezone than London and Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    But you know it is all about ratings and more people will watch in the evening.
    True that. But NBC's programming is so shitty in general that they could re-air it again at night after airing it live and no one would be missing much. Actually, they do that now - after the first primetime airing, my local news comes on for 30 minutes, and then they show the whole night's Olympic broadcast again during late night.

Oh, and NBC has had the summer Olys since 1988 and have contracted for the rights for them through 2020. Blah.

Sorry for the stupid question, but on NBC why does the announcer sound like he's saying "Olympiad"? When the Olympics are coming on, he doesn't say "O-lym-pics" Sounds like Olympia or Olympiad.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Olympiad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it what you call the individual Olympics that are currently taking place

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I loved her. The diva of gymnastics. So dramatic and so competitive.
    She was so scary thin at her last olympics.

They whiffed tonight after Phelps lost the gold by .05 seconds. Right after that they aired the Visa commercial with Morgan Freemen who was going on and on about a hundredth of a second makes all the difference in the world. The entire commercial highlighted Phelps winning. Facepalm.
    Fran likes this.

Thread Information