Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympics Thread

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    There were a lot of wrecks, but the announcers were expecting them. They said that the light rain had brought a lot of oil to the road's surface. Particularly on painted areas.

There was a pretty wild clip of about two or three women wiping out, and then another bicyclist literally rode right over one of the women lying on the ground. The woman on the ground got right up, adjusted her bike and pedaled off. I told my son, "That's the kind of woman I want you to marry."
    Ha Ha.. love it!
    That was Kristin Armstrong of the US. (No relation to Lance) She is a bad ass!

Re: Wambach's punch to the eye.. is women's soccer usually that chippy? It also at one point looked like a US player tackled a Colombian player. I don't watch that much soccer so I was surprised.

Also, Hope Solo seems like kind of a cry baby. She called out Brandi Chastain on Twitter b/c she didn't like some of her commentary. Seriously.. why even acknowledge it?

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Wow, that is bad. You can lip read and see that the US player is saying several times that she got punched in the eye as soon as it happened.
    And then the chick who did it falls like she got hurt.

Has anyone seen the video of a woman soccer player getting her ponytail pulled by another player? She got pulled down to the ground. It was not during the Olympics. Here is the clip Elizabeth Lambert's Dirty Play and hair pull Mars BYU vs. New Mexico Womens Soccer - YouTube
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post

Has anyone seen the video of a woman soccer player getting her ponytail pulled by another player? She got pulled down to the ground. It was not during the Olympics. Here is the clip Elizabeth Lambert's Dirty Play and hair pull Mars BYU vs. New Mexico Womens Soccer - YouTube
    I remember that. I had forgotten just how many dirty moves she had pulled in one game. She is like a one-person wrecking crew.

Wow, I know I am quite late to this, but I LOVED the Opening ceremony! Well, I've only gotten up to Becks, but everything to that point was just gorgeous, moving, funny and humbling all at the same time. Phenomenal job, England! I love that they got the Queen to show her sense of humor as well.

A*O

Not a criticism but what's happened to the female gymnasts bodies? They look really beefy and muscular compared to the delicate little stick figures of the past. The biceps and thick necks!!! Steroids? Nah, couldn't be that...
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Not a criticism but what's happened to the female gymnasts bodies? They look really beefy and muscular compared to the delicate little stick figures of the past. The biceps and thick necks!!! Steroids? Nah, couldn't be that...
    I was just wondering that myself. It looks like it's mainly afflicting the U.S. ladies, because the Russians and Chinese still look somewhat lean and not buffed up. I don't know what the difference is for the Americans, unless they're just a lot shorter and it's making them look stockier.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

Maybe it's the long lurex sleeves they are ALL wearing which emphasise every curve and bump but some of them have arms like Popeye.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Or it could be working out every day from dawn to dusk.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The thighs on some of the American women could crack walnuts, no kidding, and their necks are like 20" around. But they seem to be able to hold on to stuff that the twiggier girls can't, so maybe they train for muscle over grace.

Phelps sure isn't all that, this year. I had heard on one program that he blew off a lot of his training the last couple years, and wasn't showing up to practices because he was partying to much. They said he basically just started hitting it hard 9 months ago. Not sure if that is true or not, just what we heard the other day. He sure doesn't look like he did at the last olympic games. Four more years haven't done him any favors, it seems. But, he has alway seemed like an ass to me in interviews.

I am enjoying the gymnastics, like every year. I really like watching Gabby. Since Shawn retired, it is nice having another Iowa girl in the games, even if she has only been an Iowan a short time.

Iowa also has LoLo Jones running hurtles. I am hoping she earns her medal this time.

Another Iowan was Miranda Leek in the archery events, but she got knocked out of the quarter finals on Sunday.

But the best game for me in the Olympics is womens soccer!!! They have been kicking ass so far and qualified Saturday for the quarter finals. What a bunch of talented and athletic ladies!!! I'm in awe of them!

And on the roughness in soccer,...that happens all the way down to the littlest kids that play. My middle daughter had a tooth broken this spring, in her senior season of high school soccer. It is a physical game, and some shoving and pushing is allowed, but it gets very rough at times. My daughters have broken a lot of toes, fingers, and sprained ankles over the years, but they have gotten off pretty easy compared to some. A girl on my daughters team, broke another girls hip 2 years ago.

The elbow to Wambach's eye should have been a red card, or at the least, a yellow card. Stupid ref! She is a tough one, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    The thighs on some of the American women could crack walnuts, no kidding, and their necks are like 20" around. But they seem to be able to hold on to stuff that the twiggier girls can't, so maybe they train for muscle over grace.

A person I knew about 8 years ago was involved in assisting at a gym where they trained gymnasts at a high level - at that time she said you would see the thighs get huge over the next few years as a way of protection against knee injuries. I don't recall any further details of the conversation - but I held onto that tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    Ha Ha.. love it!
    That was Kristin Armstrong of the US. (No relation to Lance) She is a bad ass!

Re: Wambach's punch to the eye.. is women's soccer usually that chippy? It also at one point looked like a US player tackled a Colombian player. I don't watch that much soccer so I was surprised.

Also, Hope Solo seems like kind of a cry baby. She called out Brandi Chastain on Twitter b/c she didn't like some of her commentary. Seriously.. why even acknowledge it?
    I played and coached it for years. Yep, sometimes it's a very physical sport. Usually you expect some elbows in your side or someone using their arm to shove you off the ball. It's not common to see someone getting sucker punched. Most girls who grow up with the sport are also taught to respect it and their opponents even if they are aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post

I think that chick got some pretty stiff punishment...can't remember if she got kicked off the team or banned from competition. She deserved whatever it was though. there's no place for that in any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. They look very thick but strong as hell. Some of those Russians looked sickly to me.

nice story coming out of men's gymnastics:

Bulgaria’s veteran gymnast captivates crowd

Published at 16:16, Monday, 30 July 2012

AT 39, he is old enough to be most of the other gymnasts’ fathers And yet on Saturday night, Iordan Iovtchev captured the hearts and minds of everyone within the North Greenwich Arena, writes PAUL TURNER.

The silver-haired Bulgarian, with the chiselled physique and mercurial glint in his eye had the attention of everyone in the arena – spectators and fellow gymnasts alike.

Competing in his sixth Olympic Games – a record stretching back to Barcelona in 1992, when some of the athletes alongside him were not yet born – Iovtchev had come to London to compete on just one piece of apparatus.

He stood on the sidelines, easily mistaken for one of the coaches far closer to his own age as his group rotated through the apparatus, watching patiently as they competed on the vault, the parallel bars, the horizontal bar and the pommel horse.

While others were tumbling, flying through the air and rotating with smooth grace as the final group of five nations looked to reach the men’s team final, this veteran gymnast had come for the rings.

No-one else in the history of the sport has ever competed in six Games, but Iovtchev has won four medals in his time – though never gold – and he still retains within him a strength of body and soul to push aside the pain and physical torture and be up there with the best of them.

When his time came, the whole area paused.

The applause that greeted him as he stepped forward and was announced to the crowd was befitting of a man held in the highest esteem in the sport.

All around the fringes of the competition area, gymnasts forgot their own purpose and watched this elder statesman at work. Even at 39, his grace and his strength have not diminished, though his flexibility is not that of a younger man.

He held himself in handstands, in the pike and dismounted with aplomb to a cheer that shook the rafters, his opponents standing and applauding with the thousands in the stands.

The veteran bore his teeth in a wide smile, his eyes bright and his hand coming to his mouth to blow kisses around the arena. It is hard to imagine even a British gymnast receiving such loud and wholehearted acclaim.

Now the crowd waited to see if the judges had decided whether this remarkable man deserved another day in the sun.

The result came up on the giant electronic screen hanging high above the arena floor – a score of 15.308 and he was eighth overall, in the last qualifying spot for the apparatus final. The cheers were deafening once more.

But there was no time for Iovtchev to celebrate just yet, instead a nervous 20 minutes ahead.

Germany were still to go on the rings and they had four athletes who could knock Iovtchev out.

The spectators sat watching as the competition continued, each with a part of their mind checking the scores to see if one of the German team had spoiled the party.

But none of them could do it, Marcel Nguyen the only man to come even remotely close and another special cheer went up when the arena announcer confirmed Iovtchev had advanced.

So it is that a week today a 39-year-old Eastern European hero will step out to compete at the Olympics one last time.

Everywhere at London 2012 there are stories to be told and Iordan Iovtchev’s is one worth listening to.

Iordan Iovtchev showing off his form on the still rings.

North West Evening Mail | Sport | Bulgaria
    Fran, Rusalka, JazzyGirl and 1 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I watched Iovtchev night before last on the rings and he's still got it. Apparently he's also the Bulgarian Gymnastics Federation president and does a bit of everything. Not bad on the eyes, either.

JazzyGirl likes this.

^^ Those kinds of stories are the main reason I watch the Olympics. Excuse me, there must be something in my eye.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information